WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '06 LC Match brass

Boolit Master
    ok here it goes.
    i bought 500 pc of lc 68 match/inert primer/crappy condition till fireformed a few times.
    in the raw...
    322 pcs with neck runout of 000-002(98 pcs.003;12 pcs .004/5)
    190-195 broken into 8 groups (6 groups of aprox 50 pcs at 191 to 194.8 +/- .2/.3) one grp 190.9 +/- .9 (33), one grp 195+.9 (25))

unfired volumn 67.3 which is almost 4% below commercial 06 brass

add it all up and i lost 16 pcs for one reason or the other and 52 pcs that were "67", not "68".

throw this all into a bell curve and is what one would expect.

in low pressure cast boolits its probably no big thing, but in a match load or higher pressure bullet loads it will cause a diff......
    to really know one would need to fired form the brass probably twice in a single gun and then do volume comparrison of the entire batch of 322 pcs...a great winter project( i did the very thing with a batch of 223 brass).
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master
    Mike, I was going to order some from hi-tech also. Just what do you mean by crappy condition?. Grungy cases, dents?. Frank

Thumbs up

I too ordered 200pcs. of LC match brass from Hi Tech several months ago, but the condition was excellent. There was no need to "uniform" the primer pockets or debur the flash holes. The cases are clean & shiny with a few handling marks on the body (look like powder dents). Some of the necks needed to be run over an expander ball, but that happens with new commercial brass too. All in all, I'd say they're an excellent value.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
    Mike, I was going to order some from hi-tech also. Just what do you mean by crappy condition?. Grungy cases, dents?. Frank
    i do not know who i bought mine from. they had some sort of a bullet puller that beat up the shoulder big time. typical mil brass bad tar sealant that was a pain to remove. chemically inert primers that had to be removed. it was cheap( i only had a single 06 and 500 pcs of brass was a bit over kill). my labor is cheap and it ate up some cold winter time.

the 308 mil brass i bought was excellent.

like i said winter is almost here good project.

Boolit Master
    Mike most U.S. mil surp ammo has the asphalt tar like sealant. And yep its a pain to remove. I save all my old worn bore brushes whatever caliber and chuck them in a cordless drill just to remove the sealant. Maven, thanks for the heads up. i have a few '06's that need brass.4 at last count. Frank

I have read several times over the years that IMI makes the best and most consistant military brass. I have a couple thousand virgin IMI 30-06 brass for sale if you want to try some. - Hunter

Jeez, this thread started and died in 3 days OVER A YEAR AGO. You must really want to sell that brass.

Boolit Master

Funny that it is that old and yet

I am interested in some of the IMI brass.
    I try to keep ammo separate for different guns by headstanps and I do not have enough differnent brands to do that with 06s.

I'm glad you did respond a year later.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

lol you just had to ask...

chit i answered this a year ago...lol

Boolit Master

68 Lc

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Junky View Post
    I wasn't sure where to post this question, so here goes:

Can anyone tell me how the volume of Hi-Tech's 30-06 - LC Match Virgin - Unfired brass compares to Remington brass? I think I want to make .35 Whelen cases out of this stuff.

MJ
    Just for fun I tried some LC 67/68 cases I got from here and the resized cases (RCBS dies) took-filled to the neck:

H-414=60.8 gr.

H-380=56.5 gr.

I don't know if this helps or not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12