RepackboxLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: XD45 ACP, 230 gr boolet and Accurate # 5

Boolit Mold

XD45 ACP, 230 gr boolet and Accurate # 5

I am wondering if anyone is running a standard XD 45 ACP with the following?

I'm using recycled lead bullets cast in Lee's Tl452-230-2R bullet mold.
    (.452 dia X 230gr. bullet, Alox lubed, in front of 7.7 grains of Accurate #5 and Federal LPP.)

Lees 2nd edition shows 230 grain cast & A#5 with 7.7 as start and 8.5 as never exceed. That only gives .8 grains as wiggle room. I'm using a Lee Turret Press with carbide dies, (separate seating and crimp dies) with a Lee Pro Auto-disc powder measure and micrometer adjustable charge bar. Charges vary from 7.7 to occasionally 8.0.

The XD has a bear of a recoil spring. I started out trying Accurate # 7 which run great in my 9's. No joy...the loads were getting excessive before I got reliable function.
    I switched to the faster #5 and the 7.7 starting load. I thought it was working but got 10 out of 100 fail to function. It's running dirty... seem like just not enough power to get the slide all the way back to eject the spent case. Interesting to note that the FPS string average is on par with Win 45 auto white box 230 grain FMJ from Wal-mart.

I would bump the loads up but it wouldn't take much for a few rounds to hit max or over with my set up.

I have a friend that likes to load hot and he has the scars to prove it. I don't need that. I need function first. I think I have read every 45 acp related thread on the forum . Some favorite loads here are over the book max! Go figure. BTW, the XD runs like a swiss watch using factory ammo.

I have a lot of Acc# 7 and 5. ( Plus all the front stuffer powders) I just hate to add another powder.
    Just thought someone might be running this combination.

Hey, great info here! Sorry for the long post.

Thu

First, a warm welcome.

I think you are probably running at just under Acc#5's pressure window. Up the charge to 8.3 or 8.5 and it ought to hum like a Bulova Accutron.

BTW, Lee doesn't produce ANY load data, they merely reprint it from the original source - sometimes with typos. You can download all of Accurate's data in a PDF file at LINK

Boolit Mold
    Thank you much, Raab.

"Lee's data is reprint"... Looks that way to me too. I check and check again.

Downloading Accurates Pdf...I'm on point on that one all ready.

I loaded 16 rounds to 8.1, AA# 5. Going to the range tomorrow.

BTW, Over on CastBoolets one man said his XD wouldn't run right using 230 gr lead in
    anything above 1.23 OAL or it jams. He's using Bullseye and his Min OAL is 1.190 so he can get away with the 1.23 something OAL. I can't seat that deep with AA# 5.

I believe your right and thanks for the warm welcome.

Stay safe.
    Thu