Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best reloading press for the money?

Banned

Best reloading press for the money?

What would you consider to be the best reloading press for the money? I was looking at the Dillon 650 but have strayed and I am now looking at the Hornady press. The Hornady is much cheaper and looks to give the same bells and whistles as the Dillon 650 does. I like the lock type bushings the Hornady has but the tool head removal feature on the Dillon is nice too. I plan to install a case feeder as well as a bullet feeder on the press I end up purchasing. I already have a Hornady bullet feeder on back order. The bullet feeder I plan to modify as needed so it will provide a source of bullets to my Star sizer.

I have dies for 10mm,40,357/38, 9MM, and 45ACP which I plan to use in the new press. I'm not too thrilled with the Dillon Square Deal I have because I have to fight with it to get it to run correctly every time I reload with it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Oh boy, here we go again. This has been hashed, and hprehashed out over and over around here.
    Use the search function and be prepared to see people with vastly differing views.
    I own a Dillon 550 and have been very happy with it. Some here hate all that is blue, others love blue.
    I am now going back to avoiding cans full of worms, particularly open ones.

Banned
    Well I used the search function and the only thing I came up with was a post on shot loading equipment. Not trying to start WWIII here just trying to come up with some ideas and observations.

I've owned both and like both. Each has its virtues in my experience.

If absolute speed is essential, Dillon wins by a wide margin. This is due to the fundamental operational design of the two presses. Dillon shell plate moves full station on half a stroke and the Hornady moves half a station on half a stroke.

If absolute flexibility is essential, Hornady gets the nod. I like being able to change one part of a process on the fly and that is easier because of the bayonet design of die holders. Also, loading black powder as well as smokeless, powder measures are changed as easily as dies.

I've also owned a Square Deal and, for a single pistol caliber situation, it is very fast and makes very good ammo. Mine never gave me problems and hope you would call Dillon if yours is giving you fits. They'll get you smoothed out, I'm certain.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Grand Master
    I think what you're going to find is not so much the best press for the money, but what people need to suit their purpose. Almost all of the presses made are decent to excellent, but each type has an application.
    You might get more definitive answers if you ask opinions on a particular type.

Banned
    Jim,

Your absolutely right. I should have asked opinions on the Hornady and Dillon 650 presses. I'm very interested in the pro's and con's of each machine. I appreciate the answers and opinions that I've gotten so far and I hope they keep coming.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not much I can do to help you. I'm an old school single stager. I tried turrets and progressives and went back to my true love a coupla' decades ago.

Banned
    I'm an old school single stager. I tried turrets and progressives and went back to my true love a coupla' decades ago.

There is a lot to be said for the tried and true single stage presses. I know a lot of people that wouldn't dream of reloading say 223's or 30-06 on a progressive press. I can remember my youth of watching my father reloading 30-06 and going thru each stage of the reloading process.

Boolit Master
    I have turrets, progressives and singles, Lee, Lyman, and Dillon, RCBS. Pistol calibers get done on the dillon, rifles on the singles and turrets.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I'm old, and enjoy reloading, it gives me something to concentrate on which is supposed to be good for me. So in my case slow is good. Single stage for me.

If I was interested in speed reloading handgun calibers I would opt for Dillion, however I do think they are overpriced, but then thats just my opinion.

Boolit Master
    I have loaded a whole lotta lotta 223, 308,45,357 and more on my 650 and found it to be extremely reliable. Never tried to load any black powder on it, I would think the Hornady would have an advantage there as they make a blackpowder measure that should work with their machine. I really like the Dillon powdercheck and other bells and whistles available. Another thing to look at for any progressive is the electronic pressmonitor, I bought one recently and love it! It tells you #of rounds loaded, if you short stroked the press and a bunch of other stuff I haven't tried to understand yet. I helps make things idiot resistant if you get distracted or bored. Other than black powder I would vote for the 650.

I've used both. The Dillon and their customer service makes them the hands down choice. Check out availability of used presses and price vs new price to see resale value and interest for yourself.

I've probably loaded between 250,000-300,000 rounds on my 650. I've worn a couple of parts and Dillon has shipped me a replacement (free of charge) the same day I called.

If you are only loading a couple thousand rounds/year, then it really doesn't matter which press you get, for that level of loading, a single stage and a hand primer is plenty fast enough.

I can't really say anything bad about the Hornady, I just like the Dillon better.

Good Luck,
    AJ

Here is an interesting comparison of the 650 vs. the Hornady LnL. Basically, after reading this I have come to the conclusion that the Hornady is the better value. But, read it and form your own opinion. You really can't go wrong with either. JMHO...

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillon...Comparison.pdf
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Boolit Master
    my concern , is that if you cannot make a dillon square deal work....what will happen with either the dillon or the hornady......

maybe get someone with either press to let you try them...including the complete set up process.
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Banned

The best progressive press for the money is the Lee Pro1000. It works and the price can't be beat.

The best progressive press made has blue paint on it.

Gear

Banned
    quote:
    Here is an interesting comparison of the 650 vs. the Hornady LnL. Basically, after reading this I have come to the conclusion that the Hornady is the better value. But, read it and form your own opinion. You really can't go wrong with either. JMHO...

That was a great comparison between the three presses.

Boolit Buddy
    If I were to buy a new single stage press today, for the money it would be a Lee Classic Cast. If a turret is what your looking for then I would go for the Lee Classic Turret here too. I own two used RCBS older Rock Chuckers, one I paid $60 for and the other I paid $50 for - great presses. I do a lot of case forming and for that task I use my Redding Ultra Mag. I also have a Lyman T-Mag. Best Wishes, Bud

Boolit Buddy

I have the Hornady LNL, stay away from this one, the priming is horrible, get the Lee Cast turret, an awesome press.

I think its funny how people always say that unless you load X number of rounds per month or year, such and such press (turret, progressive, etc.) isn't worth it. That is a false idea. It comes down to what your time is worth and what you can afford. I am fortunate enough to have a fairly good job so I tend to spend a bit more to buy things that maximize the little bit of time I get to reload. I buy 6 cavity molds if I can, I have turret and progressive presses. With my Hornady LnL, I can set it up and run 300 rounds in less than an hour easy. I like how easy it is to switch calibers, and its versatile. I can switch from small base to regular to collet dies for the same caliber without needing multiple tool heads, or other stuff. you can just leave out the crimp die if wanted.

Boolit Buddy
    i have had both and the 650 wins hands down, no comparison. if i paid (and i did) what the LNL costs and could only load 300 rds per hour i'd keep it a secret. 800-1000 rds an hour on a 650 is just cruising along, not hurrying. yea it costs more, hell ya it works better. so....whats been said above............it depends on what ur times worth and how much $$$ you wanna invest. as in most things. the comment about the LNL having a horrible priming system is dead on. i know, here comes WW111, but, you asked. single stage, have had RCBS, LEE, FORESTER. the red one is far and away the best. you seen the show on what the military snipers use? row after row of forester.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast