MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Isotope Lead?

Boolit Master
    Run your thumbnail across it. If you could plant corn in the furrow, then treat it as dead soft. Otherwise, treat it like WW.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Sqlbullet, I have been buying the 31pound cores from Sam since he had them for sale. The BHN of every core has been around 9-9.5BHN I have never had any bullets with the readings that GP100 furnished. My tester is a Cabin Tree. They make excellent bullets for SASS shooting with 100% Black Powder. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    That 9-9.5 range is what I see if I anneal the bullets to the softest form. Air cooled from a hot mold and 700° lead I see about 2 points harder.

Incidentally, I recently retested my samples I used two years ago to see what time had done. All the test groups that originally tested in the 9-10 range now test in the 12-13 range.

I am using a Lee tester, and taking averages of 10 samples.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I have used a Lee tester years ago and found that it worked but not nearly as well as a Cabin Tree. All alloy will have different readings after they have time cured. I have bullets that are 3 years or older and that is what I base my figures on. We have many members who test after being poured and that will give you a very incorrect reading. The biggest problem with a Lee is each person must see and measure the same or you will have a huge spread with the same alloy. The cabin tree does not have that problem. You make one complete turn to the marking and read. No chance for error.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Being cancer survior can tell u what it is used for in some cases. When recieving radiation they cut lead blocks to keep other organs from recieving radiation. Plus not sure what they do with smaller carring cases they use to keep lead inside before injectioning it into you. All i know i have glowed at nights on couple times have had different treatments.

Does anyone know if those isotope cores sam sells would be good for dripping shot? All I've ever heard and used is WW but those are about as common as winning the lottery around here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skytex View Post
    Does anyone know if those isotope cores sam sells would be good for dripping shot? All I've ever heard and used is WW but those are about as common as winning the lottery around here.
    Chilled shot has 2% antimony and magnum shot has about 5%. WW has about 2% antimony and 0.5% tin. He has an alloy with 3% antimony and 1% tin.

That would be the best one to try.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Buddy
    I am thinking about getting some lead from Sam. I have been having good luck with WW's but can't seem to get them anymore. What would I have to do or add to the isotope lead to get close to WW? I am currently loading for medium 357's, 45ACP and 40's.

Quote Originally Posted by ItZaLLgooD View Post
    I am thinking about getting some lead from Sam. I have been having good luck with WW's but can't seem to get them anymore. What would I have to do or add to the isotope lead to get close to WW? I am currently loading for medium 357's, 45ACP and 40's.
    I've only cast with one pot of iso lead (from the 31# cores) but it's good stuff.

Made really nice bullets without any tin added.

I would consider it just like WW's; only cleaner and you don't need to add tin for good fillout.

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by skytex View Post
    Nothing I got drips good shot, Going to sell my shotmaker.

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Boolit Grand Master
    I would think his 95-2.5/2.5 with just about 5% mag shot(for the arsenic) would be really close to ww's. At least, thats what I am planning on doing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I would think his 95-2.5/2.5 with just about 5% mag shot(for the arsenic) would be really close to ww's. At least, thats what I am planning on doing.
    I recently revised my lead alloy calculator to include arsenic. Here's a pretty close alloy to WW lead (0.5% tin, 3% antimony, 0.25% arsenic, hardness @ 12):

CORES
    1 lb magnum shot (4% antimony, 1.25% arsenic, hardness @ 13)
    5 lbs isolead (1% tin, 3% antimony, hardness @ 11)
    =6 lbs of alloy with 0.83% tin, 3.17% antimony, 0.21% arsenic, hardness @ 12

INGOTS
    1 lb magnum shot (4% antimony, 1.25% arsenic, hardness @ 13)
    5 lbs isolead (2.5% tin, 2.5% antimony, hardness @ 11)
    =6 lbs of alloy with 2.08% tin, 2.75% antimony, 0.21% arsenic, hardness @ 12

I think the isolead from the large cores will work better since shot doesn't seem to need tin.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12