MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: good cheap lube?

Boolit Buddy

good cheap lube?

i know im beating the dead horse but, my darr lube turns out like **** and cracks and just sucks, and I have tried using a large candle for wax and that didnt work....
    so someone please give me a recipe, I want to beable to pour it on my bullets take it outta the pan and push out lubed bullets. is there a lub that I can make that will do this?, please someone that has done this and had success give me some advice.
    I just ordered a 44 mad mold and want to pan lube for it, please help me out guys..

Thank you all very much

Boolit Buddy
    I've tried: FWFL, Emmert's, Barry Darr, JPW, 45/45/10, Alox, BAC, CR and a few of my own recipes. I will never again bother with anything other than Carnauba Red... and it's cheap!

(Additionally, BAC was just as good and easier to pan lube with, but tended to melt past 110 degrees in the range bag...)

Boolit Buddy
    caranuba red? where can i get it? is it for pan lubing?

Quote Originally Posted by jlmomaha View Post
    caranuba red? where can i get it? is it for pan lubing?
    C Red is sold by lars white label lubes a member here. Its good lube but VERY sticky and IMO not very good to pan lube with (the traditional way anyways) His BAC and 2500+ are much more pan lube friendly . a good cheap lube for most pistol usages is a simple mix of Bee's wax and vasoline 60/40 mix works good you can alter that mix to suit your needs ,I used this lube in rifle up to 15-1600 fps with good success and pan lubes great.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    what about a parifin wax lube? the cheapest i can get bees wax around here is $14 a pound,

Boolit Buddy
    Bees Wax = Right here.... RandyRat Vendor Topic

Boolit Buddy
    k so a pound of bee wax and what 14 oz of vasoline thats all i need? and how many bullets will that do?

k so a pound of bee wax and what 14 oz of vasoline thats all i need? and how many bullets will that do?
    ALOT! seriously melt and mix them well get yourself a suitable pan and fill till it will cover up the crimp groove on your bullet a hair higher aint gonna hurt anything. If you have excess do another pan or just put it in a jar for later Almost two pound of lube will last along time.

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

alot lolz tell us the volumetric capacity of the grooves before we can even begin to assemble some sort of estimate .....
    for darr lube and pan lubing i found it best to add a lil extra vaseline or lanolin ( that last really helps ) lars lubes is another sponsor as well , whitelabellubes i believe is the correct website ...i cant make lube as cheap as he sells them , but to honest i did offer a lube sample pack in the s&s forum that has a pan lube-able darr's version in it , FWIW pre-heating the boolits and then again bringing up to molten lube temp helped me alot for an lubing and if i cant test pan lube then the lube never makes it into my sizers

Boolit Buddy
    so vaso and bee wax is good, or should i use parrafin?

Boolit Buddy
    fryboy hey my friend, give me a good cheap recipe

Banned

If you're going to use it for .44 Magnum, save yourself the bother and just buy White Label BAC and Carnauba Red, gently melt them together 50/50 and pan lube the usual way. You can make lube, but by the time you get finished sorting it all out you won't be able to do it cheaper than buying it from White Label. This is one area of casting that won't save you money to do it yourself unless you need a really marginal, low velocity concoction like Darr lube that you can make from grocery store ingredients.

Gear

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    This is one area of casting that won't save you money to do it yourself

Gear
    Who saves money by casting their own boolits around here?

Someone promised me over thirty years ago that I'd save money by reloading, too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Who saves money by casting their own boolits around here?

Someone promised me over thirty years ago that I'd save money by reloading, too.

You were sold the same lie I was I see. I do not save money.....I just shoot alot more. SWMBO even knows the truth on this matter and it is still OK, so I guess in the end it's all good.

fryboy hey my friend, give me a good cheap recipe
    define cheap :P candle wax honestly could be cheap but ... unless large slabs it could be anything ( ie; hard or soft with who knows what additives in it to make it that way ) straight gulf wax paraffin is at least a known wax and while not ideal for much other than med to low velocity rounds it does work decent for those as well as a stiffener , the saeco green ( in the recipe section ) if one has the beeswax , works for rifles as well , vaseline and wax is about the cheapest i know but the lanolin added does help add flex and tack , they state 50/50 but for me that's a lil too soft , problem is when u cut it down to say 1 wax to 3/4 parts ( or less ) of vaseline as you've found it can be brittle ( especially with harder taper type candles ) canister type candles ( unless soy wax ) can be a lil soft
    try this one ( tho i admit that i wish i knew what you had on hand )

1# gulf wax
    8 oz. vaseline
    2 TBLS lanolin ( corona hoof dressing will work as will bag balm but straight lanolin is best )

if too stiff add either a lil more lanolin or vaseline to suit , if too soft ( very dependent on your wax ) add a lil more wax a TBLS at a time , but for pan lubing bringing the boolits and wax up to same temp will really help , emmeret's is fairly economical and works for black powder and up to medium velocity smokeless loads , just not ideal for long term storage ( the stuff in the vegetable shortening tends to cause verdigris )

50/50 beeswax and grease is also fairly cheap and has been around forever - cuz it works , again add more grease to soften and more wax to harden

sadly i have to confess that it's honestly hard to make lube cheaper than lars sells it unless one can get the materials ( or most of them ) for free/extremely cheap , gulf wax sells from anywhere from $1 to $5 a # , one can buy huge slabs of a known wax in craft/candle stores of from the web ( cheapest way to get it )

Boolit Buddy
    hey that canuba red, is that a good pan lube, and whats in it?

Boolit Grand Master
    Go with the carnuba red. You will not regret it.
    No idea what is in it, don't want to make it. It is cheap enough for me. I shoot 3000 to 5000 cast bullets a year and might spend 30 dollars on lube. If that. In the over all scheme of things it is cheap. I burn that much gas on 2 trips to the range.
    Don't pan lube so can't answer that.

Boolit Master
    Just got done mixing up a batch and pan lubed a bunch. Recipe was from the sticky at the top of the page. I added about an ounce more vaseline to make it softer and so the bullets would push out easier. Haven't shot any yet but the lube process was painless. I used 9x9 silicone baking pans and could do 100 in each pan. Once you push them out, put the next batch in the holes and put it in the oven at around 200 for about 15 minutes and let cool. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Old NRA lube formula
    1 part Beeswax
    1 part Paraffin
    1 part Vaseline

All parts by volume

More Beeswax makes it harder and more brittle, less is softer and gooier

Boolit Buddy
    would the dar 50parf-50vaso-stp work for 1200fps boolits?

amigo one has to recall that the most important aspect is size , if the boolit fits properly the lube is less important , some guys have shot bare boolits with good results ( something i admit that scares me lolz ) another aspect is that some folks have no problem with say LLA while others get leading at even less velocity [shrugz] if properly sized darr should work to 1200 , if not properly sized it can fail at 800

i havent used carnuba red , but i have read of many folks who like it but for pan lubing they state it's a lil hard and some mix it with bac or 2500

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast