Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Tinn Norge?

Tinn Norge?

I finally think I have found some usable metal at a local thrift shop. I found a decent sized decanter (I think that's what you'd call it), probably weighs 1/4 lb. It is easily bendable by hand. On the bottom it says "TINN NORGE E23". I guessing this would be Norweigian tin? I'm going to weigh it once I get a decent scale and start alloying it with some stick-on WW ingots I made. They are really soft, easily scratched with a fingernail. I just need to weigh everything out so I get my alloy right. I'm not really sure what how much tin I should add to the ingots to make useable bullets for my .45 ACP, velocity around 750-800 fps.

Oh, I paid $1.70 for it, by the way.
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Also, I found a couple of these but I didn't buy them because I didn't think it was pewter. Now I see the exact same thing on e-bay listed as pewter. Is this the real deal? If so, I'm going back tomorrow!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/RWP-Wilton-Armat...item2eb21cc3e6
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Boolit Master
    http://cgi.ebay.com/RWP-Wilton-Armat...item2eb21cc3e6

These are aluminum not tin, beware.
    Lafaun

Thanks! Yeah, they felt like aluminum, which is why I didn't buy them. Then I look on e-bay and they are being sold as pewter. I thought "man, thats just my luck..."
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10

Boolit Master
    Wilton Armetale is not pewter. None of it is. Its all armetale
    Last edited by lwknight; 12-27-2010 at 12:58 AM.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    Yeah I got a bunch of those Wilton dishes from my mom's garage, been in there for years. Either I will sell them on ebay, not as pewter though or make a trade at the scrap yard for whatever he will give me in lead.

Joe
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Bub
    Tinn Norge is Norwegian for "Tin Norway". I've also bought some of it that I have melted down into 1/2 lb bars.

Season Greeting from Norway

Thanks Norseman! I thought that was what it translated as. It'll be melted down here soon...
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10

Paladin, at only 750-800 fps, you should be able to get by with just about pure lead. 5% tin should probably get you up to 850fps or more if I recall correctly.

Good luck and let us know how it works.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Wilton Armetale is a mix of 7 different metals. They are located in PA. and are highly sought by collectors as one plate of the Queen Anne collection sells for over $50 new. My wife has over 60 pieces. Some such as serving bowls are over $200 so I don't think I would sell it to a scrap yard where you will be taken.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    Steve, I look to pay $2-3/lb for pewter items. That's over the course of a whole days scrounging. I've got a bit put away so I can be picky. When I got started I paid a little too much for a few items but once I got a stash I started putting the heirlooms back. About 25% of the time the seller decided it wasn't that valuable and it would follow me home. Happy Hunting.

Boolit Master

I know a spot I can pick up a 55 gallon drum full of pewter. Gotta find the time. I'll pass the good fortune on to you guys once I get it. I doubt I will be melting it down. I will just crush and put it in boxes and sell it for what it weighs.
    I trust this place, the fellow who buys knows his metals. They also use a Niton analizer.