RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Saying hi and how i think i can be of service

Boolit Buddy
    Got a price on raw steel to my door $175 per press.Can do better price wise on enough material for 12 presses. I decided on two kits assembled and not assembled , both ways the press will be test assembled by me. Also would be just primed or oiled.
    thank you guys for all your input so far
    all you guys are excellent and just have a little patience.

thanks,
    u.p. north

also the press threads in the top plate and ram could be custom made for you, and a few other changes.
    Last edited by u.p. north; 12-27-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: customizing

Boolit Master

Up North,
    I will dig in my inbox to see if I can come up with the contact info for a fellow member that was a die maker for one of the bullet makers for a while. He was working on a set of dimensioned drawings for 22 caliber dies similar to the rcbs or Biehler and Astles dies. A quick pm to see if he got his plans done for dies.

I think the ability to supply affordable quality steel dies would be a big help. Also if you have the know how and resources to built a jacket maker, you could sell jackets also. You might give Larry Blackmon a call and discuss the pitfalls of the business with him.

Boolit Bub

dies

hey up north
    I have looked far and wide for spizer or pointed bullet molds and ideas on making some? or cheap way to swage them?
    I use 6mm 277 30 cal 35 cal
    Don

Boolit Master

Here is a link to the thread about drawings for swage dies.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=30980

i also posted a few documents back in old posts that might be of help. I have a corbin csp-1 that uses 5/8x24 dies if you need measurements.

Boolit Buddy

thanks manleyit

Quote Originally Posted by manleyjt View Post
    Up North,
    I will dig in my inbox to see if I can come up with the contact info for a fellow member that was a die maker for one of the bullet makers for a while. He was working on a set of dimensioned drawings for 22 caliber dies similar to the rcbs or Biehler and Astles dies. A quick pm to see if he got his plans done for dies.

I think the ability to supply affordable quality steel dies would be a big help. Also if you have the know how and resources to built a jacket maker, you could sell jackets also. You might give Larry Blackmon a call and discuss the pitfalls of the business with him.
    That is very good of you to do this for me. I am researching the dies and from what i have found out the lower priced dies are not hardened, anyone correct me here if i am wrong. I have been looking into making them from tool steel (die body, point former, etc. ) i am about 90% certain i will have no problems making the .30 cal and larger dies and accessories, this is about three weeks to a month out. Main thing is i am not going to sell junk. The main thing i ask guys is just have a little patience as i am going to take my time at this. so it can be done in the highest quality that i have learned to make things to. that is working in tenths to a half of a thousanths tolerance.
    thanks,
    u.p north

The lower priced dies, ch4d you might be speaking of, is made out of 12L14 stock. After they are turned and bored out and then finished , they are carbon nitrated. Yea they have to be hardened or they will not last long.

Old War Horse

Thumbs up

Tim, I do have a suggestion/request...

Do you have a way to "guess-estimate" the cost of the entire press yet? As far as I'm concerned that's the bottom line, I'd prefer to see.

Standard reloading dies are threaded (as you VERY likely know) 7/8-14. What a lot of folks might not realize is that's 7/8's National Fine thread. I'd also suggest keeping your threads and adapters in the standard S.A.E. style and forms. (Society of Automotive Engineers)

Thanks, Sir,
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White, & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

Boolit Master
    Using a Corbin Sea Girt press here.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Buddy

bdbullets

bdbullets please check your private messages.

Would like to see pics of the press before I would say ya.
    As for dies I'm interested in .475" dies for my new pistol.
    Something along the lines of CH4D die set with core die and foruming die (truth be know just a foruming die will probly work).
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Bub
    u.p. north . im alway looking for a job in gods country !!!!! but then i would be closer to the kids ????
    i think you might want to open a shop a little farther west , say bergland !!!! or better yet merryweather !!! they do have a nice bar there .....

Boolit Buddy

been to that bar

Quote Originally Posted by mr mom View Post
    u.p. north . im alway looking for a job in gods country !!!!! but then i would be closer to the kids ????
    i think you might want to open a shop a little farther west , say bergland !!!! or better yet merryweather !!! they do have a nice bar there .....
    mr mom
    must be the hoop en holler ey.
    thanks,
    u.p. north
    Last edited by u.p. north; 12-27-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    "Got a price on raw steel to my door $175 per press.Can do better price wise on enough material for 12 presses. I decided on two kits assembled and not assembled , both ways the press will be test assembled by me. Also would be just primed or oiled." [end-quote]

Tim,
    As others have said, final price is important information, but I would like to be on the list for a not assembled or painted press.
    Bob

Boolit Buddy

Picture of U.P. Swage/Reloading Press

Finally got some better pictures. I will be adding the price soon. I am thinking primed or not primed, and assembled or non-assembled. Non-assembled would help on shipping for size of package. Also the guide plate, and mounting plate that the ram moves through would all have oilite bushings. The hole in the ram and connecting links would also have oilite bushings, or for another $90.00 approx. you could go with roller bearings in these pivot points. I would think all presses either assembled or not would come with all screws and nuts. This press weighs about 70 lbs. and shipping would be paid by buyer. All steel plate is 1" thick, handle is 1" dia. and will have a 45 deg. bend. The chromed guide rods are 1" diameter and the ends of the rods will be threaded. I will make up a more formal order sheet for your order with the different options, like thread sizes for dies and so on. The price is a hard one cause a have had quite a few different suggestions that would help save money and also options that would add money. I am going to work on the price.

thank you,
    u.p. north (tim)

Last edited by u.p. north; 12-28-2010 at 10:47 PM. Reason: pictures

Vendor Sponsor

Looking good. I'll certainly be following your progress.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master
    OMG! That thing is massive.. I love it.. though in my case I may not have any room for it.. I do think there would be enough people here that would be happy to get one to make it worth your while..

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Tim, Looks GREAT!

One more feature that many will want is a slotted ram and spring similar to ( but certainly not copied ) the photo below to facilitate the ejector function of most H and many S style dies.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails standard3.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    BW,
    i am waiting to put the slot in. also the support plate across the front of the arms.I had to get the snow off of the shop roof and my mothers house with the help on my 16 yr. old, rain in the forecast hoping for not much of that.
    Last edited by u.p. north; 12-29-2010 at 01:20 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    "I had to get the snow off of the shop roof and my mothers house "

A lot of that going around. 50 to 100 miles in every direction from us had 2 feet or more. We had a few flurries, total of 1/2 inch. While a normal winter here can run over 12 feet total, we lucked out this time.
    Bob

Boolit Master
    Looks good Tim,

I wouldnt worry about roller bearings, with bronze bushings at every moving point the press is nice and smooth.
    I cant imagine it would ever wear out but in the case if a person needed to replace a bushing it would be a pretty easy procedure.