MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Would be nice if Lee would........

Boolit Grand Master

Would be nice if Lee would........

Would be nice if Lee would offer a bullet mold ( even if the price had to go up a little ) with an adjustable locking screw for variable tension on the sprue plate.

I just ordered a Lee 338 , 220 gr. mold. When it arrived the sprue plate was so tight that it cut and scared the top of the mold each time it was opened and closed. I tried to remove the sprue plate tension screw and couldn't budge it ! ! I had to used my dremel with a cut off wheel and cut / grind a pair of flats on the screw head , then I was able to remove it with Vice Grips.

I then drilled and tapped an 8 - 40 hole in the side of the mold block to allow me to use a sprue plate tension screw lock screw . Now I have perfect sprue plate tension and have the ability to lock and hold that tension setting . Recently all the Lee molds that I've ordered have far too much tension on the sprue plate screw.

Photos below...........
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Banned

I wish theyd offer a line of high end 6 cavity STEEL MOLDS!

Banned

Nice job Ben.

I've got one of my favorite 45-70 molds that the plate tightened up on me and scared it. I gotta fix it like yours.

Or send it to you..

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks Pat,

If you start out with a " non - galded " top mold surface and keep it lubed & keep light pressure on the sprue plate, you're " In Business ! ! " with this system.

I use moly paste between the sprue plate and the mold blocks. I put a thin film ( and I mean REAL THIN FILM ) on the underside of the sprue plate and a thin film on the top surface of the blocks. Works for me.

Best,

Ben

Boolit Grand Master

I have no financial interest in Bull Shop's Sprue Plate Lube but I am an enthusiastic supporter of this lubricant for bullet moulds. It is the best stuff that I have used in fifty years of bullet casting. Really good stuff!!

Ben;
    Thank you for sharing an excellent idea with us. Your pictures really help...

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks Dale53

Dale53:

Thanks....I'm a dig. camera bug... I've always thought a picture was worth a thousand words. I like using my dig. camera.

Take a look at my web site and look at the stock finishing photos that I've done recently :

http://www.geocities.com/benallenhays/gunstocks.html

Thanks,

Ben

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Nice stocks. Do you make the stocks, or just re finish? Brilliant work. Mick.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Nice stock work Ben!

I like working with Tung oil myself. Do you work with the oil and varnish blends or 100% pure oil?

Ed

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks fellows for those nice comments. I like people that like nice wood ! !

What do I use ? I use a mixture of urathanes and oil finishes. Tough, pretty and repairable.

Mick.....No I don't make any stocks, I try and focus on finishing and refinishing only.

Best,

Ben

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Man, you'd doing that right, superb work, well done. I spent ages checking every photo out. That repair on the Anchutz was unbelievable, how did you do that? Mick.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice conversion on your Lee mould.

The sprue cutter screw can be loosened, but it requires a bit that fits tightly, and the mould blocks clamped in a vice. I've done adjustments on about half of mine, and haven't boogered a screw yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    You'd think that Lee could come up with a better system.

I guess it works out better for Lee to put in a 2 cent self tapping screw.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    Mick:

The ultimate compliment to any repair like that is your question.....How'd you do that ? ? Thanks,

Ben

Boolit Master
    I used to didn't like Lee moulds. Still don't all that well, but some of our group buys were to good to pass up, and certainly worth it. Years ago I began doing the same thing Ben did. Anytime I get a new Lee mould it gets the treatment before use, as well as a good cleaning and deburring. It's worth the extra effort. sundog

Boolit Master
    Somewhere in the database (my mind) I remember a permanent fix for LEE sprue plates, I thought it was in the Fouling Shot but I couldn't find the reference.

unbolt the handles
    remove the sprue plate screw and plate
    drill a clearance hole, this is where I'm not sure of the size, thru the mould
    grind a clearance on the handle for the screw that goes all the way thru the mould
    assemble the handles assuring clearance on the new sprue hold down
    use a locking nut, not nylon to adjust the sprue plate tension.

I have a Jerry Barnett mould made this way, never any trouble.

Boolit Master
    Somewhere in the database (my mind) I remember a permanent fix for LEE sprue plates, I thought it was in the Fouling Shot but I couldn't find the reference.

unbolt the handles
    remove the sprue plate screw and plate
    drill a clearance hole, this is where I'm not sure of the size, thru the mould
    grind a clearance on the handle for the screw that goes all the way thru the mould
    assemble the handles assuring clearance on the new sprue hold down
    use a locking nut, not nylon to adjust the sprue plate tension.
    double nuts like NEI would work also.

I have a Jerry Barnett mould made this way, never any trouble.