Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on coyote calls

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
    Has anyone tried the instant gutpile???
    I use a form of that locally. I strafe 3-4 jackrabbits, then set up on high ground and sidewind of the jacks' places of repose. Gunfire in an area does not necessarily drive coyotes off--rather, they as often as not will move through a hunted area looking for cripples, kills, and gutpiles left by bird and varmint hunters.

I've heard a similar story about how coyotes are able to propagate more readily to adjust to hunt losses. "More hunting" sounds like a viable response to me. I'm not sure I buy into that dogma, anyway--and throwing in the towel due to increased resistance goes against my grain. I'm glad that the first European settlers of this land had stronger mindsets than these fauna fascists have. The settlers would otherwise have been driven into the Massachusetts surf by Neolithics with archery tackle.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Moderator Emeritus

An atractor helps in snow country. A can of beets with some juice sprinkled about and a few chopped beets as body parts can really meke the predators ease up on caution. I find that my mouth calls can get over used quickly in an area. I don't yet own a electronic box and fur prices have something to so with that.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I tried a recorded cassette tape one time. I didn't get any positive responses at all. I think that the tape had too much stuff crammed on it & I had no way of turning it on & off remotely. I'd stay away from those.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Moderator Emeritus

Jim, I used an old car stereo speaker set in a white gallon jug with 100 feet of speaker wire in the 80's. You need the seperation or you are sunk. Solder the conections as it needs all the help you cn give it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    been callin predators for a long time
    really isnt any e-caller that is inexpensive at least any worth a darn
    I use a Minaska e-caller has a 100 sound library can add delete all day
    hand calls are inexpensive but they bring all the attention to you
    best o luck
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I had a lohman cassette call afew years back but never had much luck with it.
    It was also heavy to carry around. Some years back I bought a Burnham Bros
    mini-blaster(about 12 bucks) and it has called a good many dogs. I found it extremely
    easy to use.

Boolit Master

I had an old hunter show me how to make the wounded rabbit cry, it works, in 6 years 37 coyotes. We still have deer running around, rabbits, mice, many birds and other coyote food.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Master
    That yellow hammer wood pecker already mentioned is my favorite. I am still using the same tape from the early 90's. It has been the only tape to regularly and reliably call in bobcat for me.

I have also built and use the varmint al el cheapo caller. Cant say anything bad about it. It works, is cheap, and replaceable. And, varmint al is usually updating his site with new calls and methods, although I havent checked in a while.

I have to say though, I love the challenge of mouth calls and use them more than anything. Bought my stepson (9) one for his birthday. He was very disappointed till I took him out and he called in a yote using only his call to about 35 feet. Course, he then missed it, but that call does not get left at home.

Wife and I this weekend called a huge long haired male. She wasn't comfy to shoot to 200 yards, and the yote held up in the open and just gave us the "what fer". He eventually left, but we talked and laughed about that for hours. He was spitting mad giving us a challenge bark, and I could not answer him with any accuracy. that will be the next thing that I try to learn.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Just purchased a Spit fire by Foxpro and used it for the first time New Years...called in 2 coyotes , one on each set. Both were in easy shooting range, about 10 yards from the caller but circumstances on my end..i.e. wind change, not set up above sage brush, newbie status, etc. made the score coyotes 2..me 0. They don't call them "wiley" for nothing.
    You'll shoot your eye out kid !

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Can anyone reccomend a good value for the dollar electroinc coyote call? Since deer have left the country around here I thought I might give calling coyotes into pistol range a try. I'm getting tired of not seeing any bunnies or quail on the family land.

Thanks
    I've taken just as many coyotes with my Kimber 1911 than all three of my "Coyote Hunting Rifles" combined. And even a couple with a bow and arrow.

Stated in that way, it makes it sound like I really know what I'm doing with a pistol or bow. In actuality, of the dozen or so coyotes I've taken with my Kimber, most of them were just targets of opportunity. One was called in with an inexpensive Critr-Call mouth call and the other came to a FoxPro electronic call.

At the time I bought my FoxPro it was what I considered to be small and state of the art. Now days I'd rather have FoxPro's smallest version. The older I get the less inclined I am to lug around alot of stuff into the field. My rifle, my side arm and my day-pack full of essential is all the weight I want to pack around.

Back when I first started coyote hunting I used nothing but mouth calls exclusively. I really didn't know what I was doing back then. (still don't really) I just blew on them hoping that something would happen.

On more than one occasion I had coyotes slip in and catch me day-dreaming. Both me and those particular coyotes kind of startled each other when out eyes finally met.

Out of habit, I still carry a mouth call or two when ever I'm out in the field. I,d love to be able to afford one of those smaller more powerful and lighter weight electronic calls but, right now I just can't justify the expense.

I'm not sure if you have access to the craiglist or the backpage websites in your area but, I've seen a few of those high dollar electronic calls listed at decent prices from time to time. Once you narrow down your preferences, that might be a inexpensive place to start your search.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    This was intereasting to me about the feral house cats. When I was a kid in S.Georgia my father was a big time quail hunter and if we came across a wild house cat in the area he was duck soup as they say! It was explained to me that there was nothing that could kill quail better than a cat gone bad!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12