Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Do you re-size your cast bollits & how

Boolit Bub

Do you re-size your cast bollits & how

I shoot a H&R 45-70, I have seen moulds for '460' Dia, but when you buy bollits they say '458-459' dia does it matter? and also what do you use to re-size them.

Banned

Depends on what size they pop out of the mould.

Some are just the right size and don't need sizing just lubing of sorts.

For lubing I use my lyman 450, (yea it sizes them too) but if they are the same size as my sizer, well then they don't really get sized, just lubed.

If your loaded ammo can chamber the ammo after loading some unsized boolits, I'd say you're good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    I shoot a H&R 45-70, I have seen moulds for '460' Dia, but when you buy bollits they say '458-459' dia does it matter? and also what do you use to re-size them.
    The ideal boolit size for your 45-70 is one that will just sldie into your fired case. Just shooting a boolit 0.001" over your groove diameter may control leading and keyholing, but it does no good for accuracy if you have a large chamber and throat. The boolit has to get into the bbl and be straight, with its base perpendicular to the bore axis, so it exits the muzzle squarely. So, shoot the biggest boolit diameter that will chamber freely.

That said, I size all my boolits in custom, nose first, push-through dies using my Rockchucker press. I later lube them in a Saeco Lubri-sizer using a slightly oversized die. I prefer the leverage of the RC press and also like to keep my boolit straight. Base first sizing in a lubri-sizer with weak leverage means you have to really lean on it. Bent boolits can be the result. You likely won't have that in your 458's, but it is common in smaller calibers.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    When I need to size, I use either a Lyman 450 or a Lee sizing die, depending on whether I need to lube at the same time or not. Tumble lubing is faster if the other factors in the equation allow it.

Boolit Grand Master

Jes a hint; Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook is a very good source of info on casting, preparing, and shooting lead bullets. I think the 3rd Edition is better, but the new 4th Edition is very good too. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...dbook&x=9&y=17
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Trial and error in testing develops a couple of things other than occaisional frustration. It keeps you loading and shooting more which is not all bad. It keeps you casting and testing different sizing, which is not all bad. When you get the load that works best, you have a great deal of satisfaction. For what ever it is worth, I size .459 for my #1.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    HammerMTB wrote my response for me. Then again, in the end the barrel does the final sizing.

PRS

Boolit Grand Master
    I run all my TL boolits through a LEE sizer for consistency. Prevents the occasional cartridge from not chambering. It is more obvious in revolvers, especially in casual shooting. Auto's will fail to chamber on a fat round.

Traditional groove boolits get sized and lubed in a Lyman 450. Depending on what size it is, there is either contact on the whole boolit or sometimes it just kisses the parting lines.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I size all MY cast boolits. AND HOW!

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.