Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Ranger Rick's 720gr .458

Boolit Mold

Ranger Rick's 720gr .458

Anyone experimented with the 720gr .458 bullet Ranger Rick sells? Picked up some to work with, didn't want to re-invent the wheel if someone has experience loading them up in the .458 Winchester. Thinking of a starting load of 35gr H4198 which should be pretty light and work up from there. These could be quite a hammer at 16-1800 fps!

Super Moderator

..............That slug must look llike a javelin. I guess you could shoot through a phone pole lengthwise with it, but what is the main attraction, or is it 'Just one of those things' (which I DO understand )?

...............Buckshot

Welcome to the board, btw!
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Mold
    Buckshot - absolutely, just a curiosity. 600grs is about my max useful bullet for the .458Win. Thanks for the welcome.

I figure that if they don't work thru the rifle, I can just split a few sticks, tie these on and make some double-ended lead hammers to sell on the boards!

My annual 'take the guys from work to the range' day is coming up, I always try to give them something to talk about for another year (or two, in this case).
    Last edited by Harry Callahan; 05-22-2005 at 08:36 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Callahan
    Buckshot - absolutely, just a curiosity. 600grs is about my max useful bullet for the .458Win. Thanks for the welcome.

I figure that if they don't work thru the rifle, I can just split a few sticks, tie these on and make some double-ended lead hammers to sell on the boards!

My annual 'take the guys from work to the range' day is coming up, I always try to give them something to talk about for another year (or two, in this case).
    Harry Callahan?

Is this in a revolver?

Quickload can tell you what is max with any powder it has listed just by knowing how long it is and the OAL loaded. It works on case volume. Just PM me when you get those measurements in .000 and what powders you want to use. At that weight, I would think 4350 / 4831 would produce the best velocity potential. But that's just a guess.

Boolit Mold
    No revolvers with this puppy! I would likely lose the meat on my palm with the first shot!!

The bullet is 1.680 long, crimp groove is 0.970 from the base, 720grs.

I have worked thru 40grs H4198, no pressure signs yet. I am using new cases and checking for the sharp edge to form ahead of the belt, it hasn't formed yet.