Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A *little* wildcatting

Boolit Buddy
    Wow!!

I am impressed. I guess where there is a desire to dosomething, there is a way to get it done!!

Boolit Master
    I too am impressed. I await progress reports. (You realize of course, that we're not going to let you back slide on this! Ha ha.) I think you hit upon the ideal parent case for such a wildcat.

Boolit Master
    Well, like I said, I used all the wrong methods and tools to form the brass, but I did manage to get it done for a few dummy rounds.

I've got a set of "proper" form dies on their way to me now, which will make forming more brass a much easier and quicker proposition.

The main difference is that the proper form dies have the proper I.D. to support the case and keep it concentric while forming the necks down in a few steps. I'll use a little lube, and be able to form cases consistently. I won't even know what to do then...

The project is probably gonna have to take a bit of a break for a little while, as I'm getting to the point I either need a machine shop I can use, or I need to pay someone else to do the work.

Time I've got, since right now, I'm seeking employment, but not employed, but for the same reason, money, I ain't got.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    I got the dies, and after about 5 minutes of adjusting and playing with things, I sat down and made some brass for the wildcat. It's nice being able to go in 2 steps! I'll post pics of the process and pitfalls sometime soon.

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome project!!!
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

Boolit Master

You are one creative fellow. I will pray you get employment, along with all the rest of you who are job seeking. I wish I could hire the entire population of unemployed castboolit members. But pay would be a little on the low side since I dont have money either!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the comments and compliments guys. I was really stumbling in the dark when I started the project, and I might have gotten there, but it was the help of people who have been friendly and willing to field my stupid questions that's gotten me this far along.

I mentioned that the "proper" dies got here, and promised some more photos and explanation, so here goes.

The dies arrived, and after getting them adjusted properly, I was able to get the first step die to push the neck back just right so that the second step die would take over and push the .22 caliber neck into the brass.

One of the dies (they both look the same.)

Set up in the press, and ready to take the first step:

And the brass after the first step, the outside of the neck measures about .295:

After the second step, neck diameter is .255:

And a small handfull of brass. I guess now I'm committed to the gun either way..

And The last pic shows why it's necessary to form the brass in 2 steps. If you look closely you'll see the wrinkles in the neck. This case was formed directly from .333 OD to .255 OD, and while it didn't crumple up, it did wrinkle. The wrinkle is most apparent on the interior.

I think the cartridge is gonna be a lot of fun, but I'm not sure when the next progress will be made.

Thanks to everyone who's helped thus far!

Boolit Master

NoZombies,

This is something that once it gets into your blood, can never be cured. A friend/gunsmith/neighbor of mine years ago got me headed down this treacherous path.

He once told me that there were very few NEW wildcats to be made and I have found over the years he is basically correct. Although I haven't had a chance to look up a version of your project, it really doesn't matter. I find it fun and take nothing from your progress. I think it is pretty neat to come up with a workable cartridge.

If you're interested in wildcatting, I'd suggest you get P.O. Ackley's books. They have a wealth of information and a large number of "cats" from his time...he passed away I believe in the late 80s or early 90s. One cartridge that is capable of the velocities you are looking for is the 22 SuperJet which is an "improved 22 Jet. I've thought about using the same concept using a 38 Special parent case.

I wish you all the success in your quest and look forward to your reports on it. If I can be of any assistance in any way, please PM me. We "wildcatters" have to stick together because the rest of the world doesn't understand our quest. Good luck.

BTW, your bushing idea gave me an idea for a project I've been working on...so... thanks to you!

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master

OH! As an afterthought, BRP makes a little 46 grain boolit mold that I have had great success with in several small 22 cartridges. If you'd like a few samples, let me know. He (BABore) makes both a plain base and gas check version.

Edd

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Boolit Master
    Edd,

Yeah, I'm already brewing up my next wildcat, but I made myself the promise that I'd see the first project through before starting a second one. It's certainly not a new idea, this 22/32 of mine, but it's not been a "mainstream" wildcat either. One guy I've talked to built one of these over 50 years ago, and had friends who built it before that. I know I'm not the first, and I'm fine with that, I'm sure I won't be the last either.

I looked at the 22 jet and super jet, and the super jet looks pretty neat, but for this project the .32 case was chosen, since I already had some of the parts I would need. It's a long story, but the path that lead me here was littered with things like the 22 K-hornet and a flirtation with the .22 squirrel. As I mentioned, I already had some of the things I needed for the 32 based wildcat, otherwise I might have ended up with a .22 Mink, or a .22 Squirrel instead.

I've been looking for affordable copies of the Ackley books, but haven't been having a lot of luck, when I find 'em I intend to scour them thoroughly.

I'd be interested in the BRP 46 grain design. I'll reply in another PM about that.

Again, thanks for the interest guys!

too bad someone wouldn't put Ackley's books on CD.

that would be useful

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    too bad someone wouldn't put Ackley's books on CD.

that would be useful

I don't know how the copyright laws would affect someone other than Ackley's heirs in doing such a thing, but I would buy one for sure...even though I do have the books.

Edd

Boolit Master
    I'd be up for a digital copy ok P.O.'s work as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone looked into the 5.7x28 pistol brass? Thinking of running the case into a die to set the shoulder back making a longer neck to seat cast boolits in. Just a thought. And in a Remington 580 it would be easyer to convert.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    Has anyone looked into the 5.7x28 pistol brass? Thinking of running the case into a die to set the shoulder back making a longer neck to seat cast boolits in. Just a thought. And in a Remington 580 it would be easyer to convert.
    I thought about that very thing, until I realized I had a spare 580 bolt head for the .32 caliber case head, and a lot of .32 brass. For me, this is something different. If someone wanted practical, the long neck 5.7 would be the way to go, either that or necking up the 4.6X30.

Cool! I have always wanted to do a wildcat.

Someday when I have spare time. Ha!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    Cool! I have always wanted to do a wildcat.

Someday when I have spare time. Ha!
    Right now I've got a little time between looking for employment and what-not. I've managed to do things pretty cheaply so far. It's looking like the caliber is gonna start life in a contender barrel, and then depending on the performance I get there, I'll start looking harder at a bolt gun again.

Other than some time doing research, and a little bit of design stuff, it seems the main limiting factor is cost rather than time for me in getting things done more quickly.

Slowly gathering components and parts, ad slowly getting things built. The switch to the contender barrel is as much for expedience as anything else, I got a deal, and since my workshop is in boxes hundreds of miles from where I'm living, it's easier to run a reamer than it is to build a rifle...

Boolit Master

How are things going on this project? I am still watching to see if it turns out as well as I think it will.

Edd

Boolit Bub
    This is really cool

Boolit Master
    You guys are motivating me, I need to get back to it. I made up a reamer some time ago, but never did the conversion. I ended up getting a contender barrel to cut, and so far, I've done nothing with it.

I'm headed out of town again in the morning, but I think I'll have to put some serious thought and some more time into this when I return home next month...