Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Unique & 357 cast loads for a rifle???

Boolit Buddy

Unique & 357 cast loads for a rifle???

Okie dokie...

I've got a young nephew (Dustin) just getting into shooting and hunted his first year this year with a Winchester trapper in 357. We all exchange names for Christmas and my boy Jacob drew his cousin Dustin. I talked to Dustin's mom and asked if she thought he would like to reload some of his ammo for the 357 and of course she said he'd probably love to so I bought a Lee Loader in 357 for my boy to give him as a gift.

I'd like to get a little database of info to give to them in addition to the little load chart that comes with the Lee Loader. I thought Unique powder would be a good choice but it's only listed under one bullet on the chart and that is the 158gr jacketed. I have a friend who casts a LOT and could get some cast boolits for him to get started but I'm not finding data for Unique and .357 ammo. The Lyman cast bullet loading book only listed it for one or two bullets also. I'm new enough to casting that I have not loaded much but was under the impression that Unique could be made to work with just about any bullet of any caliber. The dipper that comes with the Loader is a .7cc dipper and it throws 6.4gr of Unique.

What I would like would be some good data on 6.4 grains of Unique with various weight boolits that I could copy and pass along to my sister. In the event that 6.4gr of Unique is not a good choice across the board, some alternative powders that work with the .7cc scoop would be my next choice. I don't want them to have to buy multiple bottles of powder and spend $20 a pop doing it just to get the kid started. One powder that will do the most variety would be the most economical deal. The real intent here is to get some mild loads that compare to a 38 special in recoil, are safe and accurate for target practice all summer long. Then maybe a hotter "hunting load" to use next fall.

In the interest of providing all possible info to the guru's of cast boolits, I'll throw out the other powders listed on the Lee Loader charge table and the grain weights the .7cc scoop throws with each. Here we go:

Accurate #7.............10.7gr
    Accurate #9.............10.7
    Blue dot.....................8.1
    Green dot..................5.5
    Red dot.....................5.0
    Herco........................6.2
    Herculese 2400..........9.4
    H110.......................10.7
    H4227.......................9.1
    HS6..........................9.8
    HS7........................10.3
    HP38........................7.6
    Powerpistol...............7.9
    Universal..................6.4
    Unique......................6.4
    v-N105......................7.8
    v-N340......................6.6
    v-N350......................7.2

Bullet weights listed are anywhere from 110grains to 200 grains and each bullet weight lists only one to five of the above powders so they are not good across the board.

Accurate #7 seems to be listed for the greatest number of bullets on the lighter end of the scale. It is shown for the 110gr, 125gr, 140gr, and 150 gr jacketed bullets. Accurate #9 seems to dominate the heavier end of the scale being listed for the 158gr and 173gr and 180gr lead, then the 170gr jacketed and 180gr Barnes X.

Hmmmmm looks like maybe I'm answering part of my own question....

But still, I'd LOVE some good experienced input on this.

Thanks,

Dave

Looks to me if I had one powder to use with that dipper I would go with the Unique. Looks like a good average load..
    I use this a lot
    http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/de...Source=Alliant
    Last edited by BackWoods Billy; 12-16-2010 at 01:55 AM.
    BackWoods Billy

Boolit Master
    I have been using Unique for 357 mags for a long time and have had great luck with it in that caliber as well as most others I have tried. It will give good results with the load you mention in just about every bullet weight that you can put in a 357 mag. I personally have used between 6.5 and 7.5 gr of it with bullets from 125 gr through 180 gr, My most used bullets are the Lyman 150 gr SWC, 125 gr Lee RF and the Lee 158 gr RF. 6.4 gr of Unique in the two heavier bullets is a nice light magnum load but I generally use 7 gr for more speed but still not max. In fact all of the loads Lee lists are nice conservative loads for the bullet weight. To get the kid started it will be just about perfect and I would recomend the lee 158 gr RF for the lever action as sometimes SWC hang up on feeding

Boolit Buddy
    TTT just once more. The package goes out in the mail tomorrow (well, later today as it's almost 1:30am now) I'd like to have some good solid data.

One thing I noticed. I went to the Alliant website and they have some on line data for the 357 and most of the charges shown for unique were more than 6.4 grains. I loading DOWN any kind of an issue with Unique? I've heard guys talk about loading down with all sorts of powders like Red Dot and Unique but is there any danger when doing it? I've read that some powders are dangerous to go below a certain point but it seems Unique may not be one of them.

Lastly, has anyone ever shot any of the heavier bullets like the Lyman 200 grain with a charge as light as 6.4gr of Unique? What sort of results did you get?

6.0 gr Unique 1,105 fps 1.575" Fed 200 Alliant
    Suggested starting load: 5.4 gr

Pressure: 33,900

That's for the 200gr Click on the link above..that's why I took the time to put it there.

6.4gr of Unique is not a light load for a 200 gr bullet.
    BackWoods Billy

Boolit Buddy
    7gr Unique with 125-160gr lead bullets is my favorite 357mag Marlin load. A little + or - wouldn't make any difference.

Boolit Buddy
    BWBill,

DOOOOOUUUUGGHHHH!!!!

I looked for that link for an hour last night and couldn't remember which site I'd seen it on. Wouldn't ya know it was right here on a thread I started....

Boolit Master
    is this the info you were looking for ?

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...28&bulletid=30

Dave..Hope your all better now...I'm happy your helping the kids get into the sport...Have a great XMAS
    BackWoods Billy

Boolit Master
    I use more than 6.4 grs unique, and cast in my Lee 158 FP with my alloy, I end up with 165 gr boolits after sizing (.358)and lubing. that load will be a good, safe, mild to medium load in that Winchester with any reasonable projectile. And if he ends up hunting with it, my last deer was dropped with one of these loaded to about 1300fps out of my 4" Ruger Security Six at 45 yds. I would imagine that the load listed in the data sheet with the Lee Loader probably beats what this revolver gives me-- if fired out of his rifle. He should be fine with this and it is a good start.

Now to get him casting....

I have a whole coffee can of .357 ammo loaded with 6.5gr of Unique and the Lee 158 TL bullet.

I think it makes a good all-purpose load. Runs around 1100-1150 out of my 4" GP100.

Boolit Master

If I was loading .357's with just that scoop, I'd probably go with Universal or AA#7. Universal is just a little juicier than Unique.

Any idea how much WSF it throws? If it's 8.0 grains or just a little under (and it might very well be), that load's a keeper.