RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: First deer with lead bullet now a ?

Boolit Bub

First deer with lead bullet now a ?

Shot my first deer with a home made lead bullet last week, a doe at 131 yards.
    I was shooting a 45-70 (knight KP1) with a 330 gould HP.(28 gr. H4198) Shot behind the shoulder with very little damage and the deer only went about 25 yards. My question is (I went to the range and shot some over a crony and found by chance if you point the gun barrel down before shooting them over the crony they would average 156 fps slower than holding the gun barrel up before shooting) do I need to add a filler?
    I had not shot these over a crony during cold weather.
    I also shot a buck yesterday with my 44 mag. with a 429244 bullet backed with 12 gr. of HS6 at 72 yds. same results as above. I'm sure in love with these lead bullets.
    Thanks to all that post here, you don't realize how many of us that are reading and using this info with great results.
    Thanks Bill
    Last edited by billnconnie; 12-12-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    There is no turning back now.
    You will be hooked for life.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

For what ever it is worth, I use a filler with 45-70 and 444. Am partial to the Gould blt. I shoot it over 22 gr. of 2400, and one grain (approx), in 45-70 in my Rug. #1. Will keep 10 shots at 50 yds under 2 1/2", with my old eyes. Have not shot a deer with it, and know that it is not by anymeans a screamer, but am sure it will do the job. Did take a 300 lb. or so boar in Texas with 45-70 and the 405 Ohas PB, over 24 gr. of 2400, at about 60 yds. When scope settled, I had 4 legs in the air. Lyman used to recommend filler for 45-70, with faster powders, but has for some reason deleted that recommendation. Am not fond to tipping the bbl up for each shot, and with filler you have the pdr in the rear, and eliminate the need for tipping. Don't necessarily recommend filler for anyone else, but for me it works.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master

billnconnie

You've discovered the very reason many of us use fillers. There is a difference between a "filler" and a "wad". The dire warnings against the use of fillers actually are against the use of wads which have been proven to cause "ringing" of chambers in some isolated instances. With a correct filler the problem is vacated. There aremany types of fillers used but the easiest and most useful are dacorn (poliester fill), kapok (fill in older life vests) and plastic buffer material used in shotshells. I've used dacron for many, many years in thousands upon thousands of rounds with nary a problem and only good results.

In your 45-70 I would suggest backing off 3 gr of 4759 and use a 1 - 1 1/4 gr dacron filler. Work back up in 1/2 gr increments to your present velocity. The dacron holds the powder to the rear against the primer for consistent ignition regardless of the angle of the shot. The better ignition also slightly raises pressure and velocity which is why you should drop back and work up. You might very well find accuracy to improve because of the more consistent ignition also. Don't hesitate to ask if you've other questions.

Larry Gibson