PDA

View Full Version : Star punch?

wingnut49b
12-05-2010, 06:03 PM
I just purchased a Star off ebay with the .452 die that I'll need. It came with a punch for a 185gr SWC that is close to the HG 68 profile I'll be using, but not exact. This punch I have will not support the shoulder of the bullet, but only push on the nose.

Will that work, or should I order a new punch from lathesmith? I've come this far...

Andy

deltaenterprizes
12-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Flip the bullets with the base up, almost all boolits have flat bases.

btroj
12-05-2010, 07:02 PM
What Delta said. The Star is designed to size nose first. I only have 3 punches. One for 30 and smaller,1 for 350 or so, and 1 for 44 and up. All flat as could be.

Go to Magma's site and get a copy of the instructions. Might save you a ton of frustration getting it all set up. The Star has a bit of a learning curve. I would also suggest you use the search function here, lots of good threads about setting up and getting a Star into use.

Good luck with it, they are an awesome sizer.

casterofboolits
12-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Originally, Star did provide nose punches to size base first. I have one for 45 ACP RN and one for 38/357 SWC. That said, I have never used them.

I use the 9mm/38 punch for all boolit sizes in my Magma Lube Master.

Echo
12-05-2010, 09:02 PM
I prefer sizing base-first. Sizing nose-first usually gives me fins . . .

D Crockett
12-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Echo if you mean you get lube streaks on the nose that is becouse I think by you not having your going nose first and your top is not adjusted right you will need to go up or down and they will go away and one other thing it might be is you have to much pressure on the the lube spring it takes very little pressure to make the star work right D Crockett

wingnut49b
12-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Thanks guys.

Looks like it will be a new punch on the way. The one I have is definately for the nose.

I do need to sit down with the manual. Just making sure I have all the right parts. It's frustrating to have poor equipment when you're not good enough to know whether it's you or the machine!

btroj
12-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Echo- I have gotten fins sizing nose first. With a bullet that was sized down a bit more than I like. But prefer these fins be on the base rather than than towards the nose. I have not found them to have a noticeable effect on load performance or accuracy.

cheese1566
12-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Thanks guys.

Looks like it will be a new punch on the way. The one I have is definately for the nose.

I do need to sit down with the manual. Just making sure I have all the right parts. It's frustrating to have poor equipment when you're not good enough to know whether it's you or the machine!

We are all here to help! If you have a problem, ask in a new thread. Pictures always help too!

mroliver77
12-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Most of my punches were designed as top punches.There is a small ring of flat sorface at the out edge of the face that touches the uotside of the boolit base only. Perfect setup. You could fill any other tp with epoxy also. Jay

cajun shooter
12-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Wingnut, Magma sends out the Stars now with a universal type punch to use as a nose first style. They are a medium size flat punch. You may just file or grind your current punch flat and go with the nose first approach. The only time you need a different size punch is when you want to add a gas check. The punch then needs to be close to the bullet base diameter so that the gas check is crimped on around the bullet in a even manner. Lathesmith makes the punches as well as the dies. They require someone who is able to make a 27 tpi. Later

wingnut49b
12-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll try it nose first with this punch to start, and should be able to get it to work.

Learning curves are steep for pretty much anything worth doing. This is no different.

I'm sure you all know it as well, but I'd never be casting without this site. Thank you all.

sagamore-one
12-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Mr. Wingnut,
Try using the top punch that you already have, size base first, and see how well it works. With the # 68 or 130 or 242 I use the same top punch. The nose profile is similar and there is no apparent mis-alignment problem. I find no apparent misalignment with flat punches either. The Star design is very forgiving. I may not know what I'm doing , but I cast and sized over 2500 lbs of alloy last year.
I have 6 Stars set up for different calibers/ lubes and 5 are base first. The only one set up nose first is a specialty setup that gets used once or twice a year.
I have both fitted and flat punches. Both have their niche, but one is not "superior" to the other in all applications.
Try what you have . If you are disappointed...remelt and try something else.

cajun shooter
12-16-2010, 08:41 PM
I use the base up method so that one punch will do many bullets. If you desire to lube with the wrong punch and nose up you just have to use a glue gun in your punch. Fill it with hot glue and insert bullet nose. Perfect fit.

wingnut49b
12-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Just epoxied it flat last night. Getting ready to clean the Star and mount it on the bench. Won't be long and I'll be cussing it and poring over the manual for all the little things...

Hopefully I like casting for production as much as figuring it all out... Already thinking about getting a Garand to cast for, and I've not even fired one of mine from my 1911!