PDA

View Full Version : Marlin, don't let me down.

Heavy lead
12-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Bought a .357 rifle today, had a nice Rossi Brazilian made 24" octagon barrel and a new Marlin 94 side by side, Marlin was $100 more, obviously only 18.5" barrel, well I hemmed and hawed, the Rossi felt good, but I kept seeing the Made in USA on the box, proudly proclaimed so I did it. Now I'm no union guy, never have been, but I hope this thing shoots, we've just got to start keeping the money here, I hope I helped.
This is not to say that someone else buying a overseas item (believe me, I have many, so I'm not playing holy-er than thow here) shouldn't, it's just the thing that swung the vote today.

Ranch Dog
12-05-2010, 01:20 PM
I hear you dude. I've been looking for an 1894C locally and can't find one. The next few years will be interesting for me as a Marlin consumer. I'm waiting to see what Remington does with the 338ME and 450M.

fishhawk
12-05-2010, 01:21 PM
mine sure shoots! just don't try wadcutters needs to be ate least a semi wadcutter to work from the magazine. steve k

AJ Peacock
12-05-2010, 01:30 PM
I used one to compete in SASS for 3-4 years (before I went to a model 73). My wife and kids still use theirs.

They are absolutely great rifles. Easy to smooth up yourself. I switched ours over to a one piece firing pin.

Best boolit I found to feed them is the truncated cone shape. I use 125gr truncated cone for competition.

Good luck,
AJ

TCFAN
12-05-2010, 01:38 PM
I have one and they are a lot of fun. Just need a lot of ammo. I use the Lee 158 round flat nose in 38spl. case and lymans 358156HP in 357 cases.
As for wadcutters my will feed the lyman 358063 DEWC if the bevel is just outside of the 38spl. case.
Is the one you bought one of the new MarlinRemingtons or one of the older ones.

Suo Gan
12-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Been searching for one at a reasonable price for awhile. Let us know how it shoots.

excess650
12-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Not to worry, I have (2) microgroove and (1) with conventional rifling. They all shoot accurately with loads that they like. My first, circa 1981, loves the Saeco #354 over H110. I had looked at the 24" octagon 1894CB, but it seemed too heavy for a .357. The later 20" version is OK, but I couldn't justify the extra $ for a less attractive carbine. The current 1894c has checkering while the 1894CB has plain stocks.

NHlever
12-05-2010, 07:00 PM
I have a Marlin 1894C of recent manufacture. I think I bought it last spring. I am delighted with the way it shoots, it's a lot of fun, and it has the most uniform, and tight bore I've ever had on a Marlin. Sure hope you are just as happy with yours!

Heavy lead
12-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Forgot to check to see where it was manufactured at, got all the packing stuff off it, it seems good quality, ordered a skinner sight for it, for now I'll see where it shoots before I replace the front, might need to go higher, but I'll wait and see how high, I'll put a 1/16" ivory bead on it, that's what I have on all my other lever guns and like it. I went with the Lo Pro sight, hopefully the screw holes are lined up so windage won't be an issue.

12-05-2010, 09:48 PM
USA Marlin- good on you.

I currently only own one Marlin (for whatever reason I've got a Winchester type blood type) and it's a 357 94 pre safety, MG bore. Like some others have said, fun shooter and it likes the 125-140 TC bullets for feeding and accuracy. And yes you may have to get a taller front sight. I put a taller one on and added a receiver sight. Very nice little guns. At the time I was hoping for a Ballard type bore but the price was right. In the past, the Marlin MG bores I've shot have always shot lights out with regular jbullets. And then I heard all about how marginal they were for cast. Well, I've learned to really like the MG with cast AND for me at least all those bores with the itty bitty lands and grooves seem much easer to clean than the more popular Ballard types.

cajun shooter
12-05-2010, 10:38 PM
The Marlin is a very good rifle and has been for over a hundred years. I shoot SASS and for that there is one draw back for the Marlins. They eject the empty hulls to the front right and forward of the shooting line. In SASS you can't cross the line to retrieve your brass and lose quite a bit. I shoot 44-40 and at .025 a piece it adds up fast. When you get your rifle and start shooting take time to change out the firing pin. They all had a one piece at one time but because of law suits Marlin went to a two piece design to stop any chance of firing until the lever is in full battery. They have been known to break before too many rounds have been fired. The Marlin rifle can be loaded with the upper end loads for hunting.

Old Shooter
12-05-2010, 10:40 PM
I have one made in 1991 that I shoot cast boolits out of ,it has a MG bore and works fine with them. Due to poor eyesight I have a Red Dot sight on it.

EDK
12-05-2010, 11:31 PM
I had an 1892 32/20 converted to 357 back in 1967, 24 inch octagon barrel. Wish I still had it.

Bought an 1866 Winchester replica in 38 special that got stolen in a burglary back in 1978.

Got one of the first 1894c in the early 80s. Step daughter and grand children are still using it.

Bought a 357 Cowboy around 2000 and then decided to get another last year. Couldn't find a 24 inch, so settled for a NIB 20 inch. Two hours after sending off the FFL and money order, a clean used 24 inch surfaced....for $500, so I bought it. They all work nicely, BUT I'd trade my 20 inch for another 24 in a heart beat...and put in some yankee dollars to sweeten the deal!

The only work I've needed done on an 1894 MARLIN is with the magazine tube on the cut down 44 that stayed on my saddle 24/7 for almost 20 years unless it was being shot or cleaned. "Even rocks don't last forever."

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

kelbro
12-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Great rifles. Fun to shoot and accurate to boot. You will most likely need a taller front sight with the Skinner. I did with my octagon barreled 1894CS. Only had to file it a little to get it dead on at 50yds. Still haven't tried it at 100yds.

I guess I got lucky. Mine feeds WCs, SWCs, RN, etc... without a hitch.

Firebricker
12-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Glad to see Made in U.S.A. broke the tie ! I have a Marlin .357 and it has been a good little rifle the only thing I suggest is use blue loc-tite on the screw's especially the loading gate screw. FB

Shooter
12-07-2010, 07:06 PM
I have had a 1894 44 mag for 30 years. Great truck gun! Put locktite on the loading gate screw. Otherwise first rate.

JIMinPHX
12-08-2010, 05:49 PM
I've always wanted an 1894C. I just never found one that I could afford.

JIMinPHX
12-09-2010, 09:37 PM
I never really understood why the 336 was so much less expensive than the 1894 series rifles. Are they really that much different?

hickstick_10
12-09-2010, 09:40 PM
lot more expensive to make an accurate "square" slot and bolt, then it is to make a round hole and bolt.

Heavy led, when I found out the marlin plant was closing, I decided to buy an 1894 so I could buy one brand new at least once before remington got there clutches on it.

I purchased an 1894 CB (with the longer octagon barrel), and took the long cardboard box with the red lettering home. After taking it out of the box, loading it for the first time and firing it the first time the biggest thing I felt was regret.............

Regret I hadn't purchased a marlin sooner, which I scorned as the poor mans Winchester. I own winchesters, henrys, 1892 clones and the marlin is head and shoulders above them all. Ya maybe a turnbull restored 1873 would beat a marlin 1894, but I wont be saving enough nickles to get one of those anytime soon.

Marlin made an excellent gun.

Heavy lead
12-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Well the skinner is on, winter storm warning, but come hell or highwater (in snow form) we're shootin' lever guns in the morning (and fire lapping a .454).
I'll let you all know how she shoots.

Heavy lead
12-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Looks like I got a shooter, it will not feed NOE's 358429, but that is not a surprise, but it certainly shoots them nice about 1" at 50 yards, also the skinner sight that fits into a scope mount screw hole is almost dead on windage with the front sight, and the front sight is just the right height to allow proper adjustment, I will replace the front sight with a smaller bead, already took the rear factory sight off and put a blank in it to unclutter the view of the sight. It shoots the NOE 360180WFN just fine also, and feeds them good, but didn't group these as I was making elecation adjustments, and I was mainly interested in finding out what front sight height I needed. I have 1/16th ivory bead Marble's on all my iron sighted rifles and shoot these well, so I'll stick with this on this rifle too.
Happy with the Marlin.

Heavy lead
12-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Wanted to update the progress, I picked the right rifle here. The Skinner sight, the little simple one that has elevation only works just fine, the front sight is the correct height to allow for plenty of elevation adjustments for what I'm shooting. I did replace the front blade with a .34 wide 1/16" ivory bead .26 high which is the same height as the factory, I did have to slide the bead maybe .1" over to the left slightly to make the windage line up, since the ramp is only .25" wide this looks ok, I don't like the front hood on anyway, just doesn't work for me and the wider front sight makes this impossible. I'm shooting the NOE360180WFN in this with a Remington 5.5, 14.5 grains of 'Lil Gun under the NOE, haven't chrono'd this out of the rifle (this also is my load for a New Vaquero as well) and is a nice shooter and feeds perfect. It does shoot the NOE358429 just fine, just hangs up on the front band. Wish I had the NOE360180WFN mould in a plain base, I think this would be perfect then. The rifle just shoots the plain base with no problem, I'm sizing to .3585.

Three44s
12-28-2010, 02:17 AM
I've had a "C" for going on 30 years now ...... have not done much lead yet .... have to rectify that!!

A lyman 17 front globe and a Williams 5D rear.

Three 44s

44magLeo
01-16-2011, 06:47 PM
I see some are saying firing pins break. Is this something particular to the 357 models? I have one in 44 mag that I've had for 32 years. The only thing that ever broke was the ejector spring. Fixed it with a spring made from a ladies hair pin. Still working just fine.

btroj
01-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Firing pins may break. In any gun.
Some just see the need to replace perfectly good stock parts with " Improved" parts. I am of the replace only what needs replacing school of thought.

dgreen
01-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Got my replacement 1894c last night. It is pre safety model that I had been watching for a YEAR, yes that's correct, at the gunshop. Yesterday they decided to deal, oh am I a happy camper. I have moaned the one I foolishly sold for several years now. Now I can play all you folks on this great web site!!!!

raisinriverron
04-23-2011, 09:56 PM
I've got a 1894 24" Cowboy Special in .357, A.J.'s in fact. Slick as goose poop, and surprisingly accurate, it's the cat's pajamas. Gave me a whole new respect for the lever-gun. @ A.J., I still say you were faster with that Marlin than your fancy ‘ 73.

Jeff H
04-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Looks like I got a shooter, it will not feed NOE's 358429,..........Happy with the Marlin.

If the NOE 358429 is like the Lyman 358429, I envy you. I have a few more things to tweak on the Rossi before it will feed them.

Nothing wrong with "made here" tipping the scales either. When I was looking for a .357 lever, the closest comparison I had between the Marlin and Rossi in price was a brand new Rossi for $420 (plus another $40 to ship/transfer) and a used Marlin with buggered screws for $600. Not sure what he would've wanted for a new one.

I had a .44 mag and you can take one of those apart and put it back together with no more than a bit of common sense, while the Rossi (or any '92 I guess) requires some studyin', some patience and some inside information from other Rossi owners.

From what I remember of that Marlin, it would feed anything I put through it. Never tried the WCs, but 250 SWCs with a long nose and sharp shoulder went through it just fine.

45r
04-26-2011, 01:53 PM
I shoot my CB a lot with a 200 grain PB mtn mold that fills the throat well with re7 and it shoots under an inch at 60 yards.Goes around 13oo fps and doesn't lead at all.For hunting load with more zip I use a 185GC boolit from mtn mold with a heavy dose of 296 with the same good accuracy.It is a very good 357 and shoots 180 xtp's into a ragged hole.I think you made a very good ghoice.