PDA

View Full Version : new blackhawk break in

sljacob
12-05-2010, 10:09 AM
I am sure this has been asked before but was unable to find a thread on the subject.
I just bought a new rugar blackhawk in .45 colt, I intend to only shoot cast boolits through it. My question, is there any thing other than the normal slug the barrel and throat for boolit fit ect that I should do for to properly break in a new revolver? Or should I just load and shoot?
most of my gun purchaces in the past have been used or well used and have not worried to much about this but I would like to make this into a nice shooter so any input from you more experienced shooters would be apreaceated. thanks in advance

jake

44man
12-05-2010, 10:22 AM
I am sure this has been asked before but was unable to find a thread on the subject.
I just bought a new rugar blackhawk in .45 colt, I intend to only shoot cast boolits through it. My question, is there any thing other than the normal slug the barrel and throat for boolit fit ect that I should do for to properly break in a new revolver? Or should I just load and shoot?
most of my gun purchaces in the past have been used or well used and have not worried to much about this but I would like to make this into a nice shooter so any input from you more experienced shooters would be apreaceated. thanks in advance

jake
If the throats are a little larger then the groove to groove you need do nothing at all. I have not been finding tight spots in the bores lately and they shoot lead right out of the box.
Although BFR barrels are better, Ruger barrels are very good and smooth.

Walt
12-05-2010, 11:08 AM
As much as out of habit as anything else, I'll usually run a 100 or so J-words through new handguns.

markinalpine
12-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Yeah, take the grips off and clean it REAL good. Got one fresh from the factory and found grit/shavings (?) in there. Blew it out with compressed air, and it seemed good to go. Went to the range and put about 300 cowboy loads through it to loosen it up.
THEN I took it home, cleaned it, and measured the cylinders, throats, and slugged the barrel. I don't have the measurements here, but all 6 cylinders matched using pin gages.
Mark

missionary5155
12-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Greetings
I would first measure my throat diameters... would be nice if they are all the same diameter just a shade over groove diameter.
Then I would take a real good look at the bore.. is it rough, or smooth. Then run a very tight patch through it and feel for rough spots.. tight spots.
Then I would load 30 hard cast boolits. If the bore looks smooth and has no tight spots or rough spots from the tight patch test I would lube those 15 boolits with metal polish like Metal Glo. If the bore looks OK but the tight patch reveals rough or tight spots lube the boolits with extra fine lap compound. Then repeat with 15 rounds of metal polish.
If the bore looked rough I would start with 15 rounds lubed with fine lap followed with 15 of exfine then the 15 of metal polish. Clean between each different lap application.
That is my procedure with all new or used revolvers. No regrets.

NHlever
12-05-2010, 09:00 PM
The new Ruger barrels on the single actions, and Super Redhawks are hammer forged so they should be pretty good. I just bought a new .45 Colt too, and put a 50 round box of cast through it the day before yesterday. There was no leading, and it shot well. I was able to get it sighted in at 25 yards with my mild 255 grain loads with no problem. The barrel slug passes easily through the cylinder throats, and though it is a bit on the tight side ( a few tenths under .452) it shoots well with boolits sized to .452. I see no reason to "break in" a new Blackhawk, but I do shoot one a bit before doing trigger work, etc.

sljacob
12-06-2010, 01:46 AM
thanks for the replies. I was not able to take it out and play today but I will break it down and clean as markinalpine sugested and slug the barrel and throats hopefully tomarow night and go from there