PDA

View Full Version : What receiver sight for my 94?

DanWalker
10-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Hi guys,
I'm wanting to replace the williams 5d receiver sight on my win94 ae with something that has target knobs so I can easily dial in longer ranges for when the urge to pulverize rocks "waaaaay outyonder" hits me.
Is the williams fp any good? I read a rather negative review about it where the person complained thqt the adjustments weren't repeatable.
Anyone got any experience with them? Also, if I switch sights, do the williams fp's come with a base? What about the lymans? Are they both,"no gunsmithing required"?
Thanks in advance,
Dan Walker

Mike Nesbitt
10-14-2006, 09:20 PM
Dan, The Williams Fool Proof is a very good sight. However, it is called the "Fool Proof" because you can get the sight adjusted and then lock it down, so others can't come along and change your settings. In order to change or adjust your sight setting while shooting those rocks, you'd need at least two sizes of screwdrivers. For your rifle, I'd recommend the Lyman 66. That's a good sight and you might even be able to get it with target knobs. I haven't looked at Lyman's website for sight selection lately but they used to offer options for the knobs on those sights. Take a look at 'em. Shoot sharp's the word, Mike

beagle
10-14-2006, 09:24 PM
I vote for the Lyman 66 as well. I have one that floats between a .44 Mag and the .30/30 and it does quite well.

A decent machinist can knock you out a set of target knobs for it very easy and I admit, they would be handy to have. Or, pick up an old junker Model 48 sight with target knobs and they may fit. YOu'll have to check that though as I'm not sure about it./beagle

Four Fingers of Death
10-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Having used William's, Redfields, Lymans and Fields (Aussie made sight) I must admit (and own up to having mentioned it before around here), they are once set, forget type sights. I can't ever remember the non adjustment being an issue. Nothing to catch your clothing or brush against with the FP types. Unless you are going to continually change boolit weights and loads, etc and spend more time at the range than in the field the less projections the better. Them blackberry bushes tangle up with everthing. Mick.

Jon K
10-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Williams FP-TK, that is the designation for the said Fool Proof- Target Knobs, they also make a TK Elevation Lock Screw, so no screwdriver is needed. Get the urge to blast something at long range- just dial up and go. Clicks are positive, no slip, slide, by-guess and by golly.

Only an opinion, Hope it helps,

Jon

Mike Nesbitt
10-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Dan, Jon is right, go for the Williams Fool Proof-TK. I just looked at the web sites for both Lyman and Williams and I learned a couple of things. Yes, the Williams FP can be had with target knobs. Also, Lyman makes the 66 for the 94 but it is noted as for the "pre-AE." It sure sounds like you want to look at the Williams FP-TK sight. Shoot sharp, Mike

Alvin in AZ
10-15-2006, 02:19 AM
One of the things I don't like about my Lyman 66A is the click stops aren't tight enough to keep a guy from adjusting it with his fingers. It has a coin slot, but for sure, ain't needed. :/

Thinking about making my own spring for it, got the holes drilled in some annealed 1095 (took three trys to get the spacing right;) but that's as far as I've got so far.

That big ol' cluncky hunk of iron on the side of my saddle gun finally got on my nerves enough that when I was having it hot-tank- blued (I sanded it out by hand Murphy in Tucson "dipped it" $18.75) I cut that piece of crap off.

YMMV :)

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/peepL.jpg
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/peepT.jpg

Used 1/8" key stock for "stilts" and 1-72 screws from Brownell's.

My crazy ideas aren't for everyone... not even good for me sometimes. ;)

Also, I do not beileve there is such a thing as a "non-adjustable sight".

Alvin in AZ

Lloyd Smale
10-15-2006, 05:18 AM
I like them both but probably prefer the lyman because its made out of steel. Ive never had a williams fail in any way but just like the idea of it being made out of steel.

Four Fingers of Death
10-15-2006, 06:31 AM
The alloy looks ok, but looks off when the corners are knocked off and the alloy shows through. That aside, they both work as well. I don't know what the price difference is as I haven't bought one for years having got by on ones picked up on second hand rifles, but if the difference wasn't horrendous, I'd go with the steel ones as they just look right, much warmer on the eyes or something. I think the alloy ones would do better if the corners were rounded off a little so they didn't scratch off as quick. Those Redfields look mightyyyyyyyyyyyy good. Got one to go on a pre 64 Modle 70. Mick.

Pepe Ray
10-15-2006, 02:35 PM
If ya gotta have a steel receiver sight, look for an Old one. Lymans been producing an aluminum block sight for several years now. :(
Pepe Ray

DanWalker
10-15-2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I called williams today and ordered a FP-TK. Sight should get to my house about the same time I do. It'll give me something to play with while I'm home.

jh45gun
10-15-2006, 10:36 PM
My dads old 30/30 had a Redfield on it with the knobs and it was a darn good sight. I wish I had one over my Williams " fool proof "on.

Alvin in AZ
10-16-2006, 01:11 PM
If ya gotta have a steel receiver sight, look for an Old one. Lymans been producing an aluminum block sight for several years now. :(
Pepe Ray

Yeah that's what I was thinkin they up and did. :/
If so, Lyman screwed up bigtime IMO. :/

Take a close look at the two side by side... steel was Lyman's only advantage.
Williams are well made and Lyman's are sloppy made.

Alvin in AZ
ps- on my Lyman turns out the spring was broke. So that makes two out of two springs on one 66a sight were broke. $4 shipping for one, $1 spring from Lyman. I'm making it myself.

NickSS
10-18-2006, 04:41 PM
I have several williams and lyman reciever sights and they both work fine. I even use the 5D Williams sights on some of my rifles. The only problem I ever have with any of them was with a Lyman sight that fell apart when Hunting. As far as I can see the Lyman design is a little more fragile than the Williams. A really good sight is the Redfield ones or the old Lymans. I would take a Williams FP over a new Lyman 66 any day as they are more foolproof.