PDA

View Full Version : William Hahn Target rifle

Flint.54
12-04-2010, 10:20 PM
I am the new owner of an original William Hahn offhand rifle. It is in unbelievable condition,but I need a workable load. The barrel is 40 cal with a 1in 48 twist. The rifling is quite shallow but the bore is bright and newish so it isn't worn out. Don't really have a time of manufacture for this gun. Don't know if it uses paper patched bullets, cross patched bullets, hard bullets or soft bullets. I know it doesn't like patched rb and I hope it shoots something other than picket bullets. The barrel is turned for a starter but doesn't seem to use a false muzzle. anybody have any ideas? I would also like to know something about William Hahn. He was a German immigrant from NY but thats all I know.

mooman76
12-04-2010, 10:36 PM
With that kind of twist, I would start out trying RBs and if it has shallow rifling, a good tight patch with it. A tight patch is better anyway but more critical with shallow rifling so it grips better. It may shoot conicals also but probably smaller ones. Only trying will tell. Start with 40 gr of powder and work up in 5 gr. increments to around 70 gr.

Flint.54
12-05-2010, 09:02 AM
I have tried Rb in the Hahn. Two reasons why I think that rb may not be the answer. The first reason...this type of target rifle was built to shoot 220 yds offhand and a 40 cal rb will be quite used up by the time it goes 220 yds. The second reason...400 rb and .010 patch also .015 patch will shoot a promising 1/2" group at 50 yds for 3 or 4 shots then maybe 2 or 3 fliers up to 6" away then back to the group for a shot or two. Not good enough to count on for a match target.

mooman76
12-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Well now that I'm thinking(and seeing) a little clearer this morning, I see you mentioned the RB thing. I overlooked that last night. I don't really know but minies tend to like a shallower rifling but I don't know how easy it would be to find a minie in .40. Might be a canidate for PP also but That's something I haven't got into yet. Hopefully someone else chimes in that knows more about it than me. Good luck!

gnoahhh
12-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Any chance of posting some pics? Sounds like an interesting gun.

Flint.54
12-05-2010, 10:06 PM
I will try to post pics. This thing should be in a museum not my gun cabinet. Here are some more numbers. Bore diameter is .397, groove diameter is .407