PDA

View Full Version : THE FRONTIER STORIES, Volume two

WILCO
12-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Louis L'amour is one of my favorite authors and I found a copy of his short stories while treasure hunting at the second hand store. Hard cover, like new condition for .99 cents!
$16.00 - $25.00 on-line and stores.
I love getting a steal. [smilie=w:
Went in looking for cast iron cookware, came out with a good book. [smilie=s:

home in oz
12-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Good for you!

WILCO
12-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Good for you!

Thanks, I always enjoy finding things of value on the cheap.

Mr. L'amour is truly one of the great western writers.

Wayne Smith
12-04-2010, 06:34 PM
I think I've read everything he published in book form, or at least all that I could find.

76 WARLOCK
12-04-2010, 06:52 PM
I signed up for the collection of his books years ago, I think I have 132 hard bound books. I cancelled when they started finishing some of his unfinnished works.

Geraldo
12-04-2010, 06:53 PM
I grew up reading L'Amour, both his novels and short stories, and I still re-read "Flint" and "Hondo" now and then.

My favorite western short stories are by Ernest Haycox. I'd love to find a reasonably priced copy of his stories to back up my well-used one.

patsher
12-04-2010, 07:24 PM
One of my husband's uncles actually met Louis L'Amour one time, on a train ride to the Pacific Northwest. They visited together for some time, apparently, with Uncle regaling Mr. L'Amour with his own stories of his early days in Wyoming. Later he said one of Mr. L'Amour's books contained one of Uncle's stories! Talk about a small world!

home in oz
12-04-2010, 07:27 PM
He was a great American Author, and thats for sure!

BOOM BOOM
12-05-2010, 12:41 AM
HI,
I envy you your find.
He is one great story teller, just like Edger Rice Burrows. I collect both their works.:Fire::Fire:

Bret4207
12-05-2010, 09:31 AM
I bet I've read the Sackett stories 50 times each over the years.

82nd airborne
12-05-2010, 04:54 PM
"Flint" and "Last of the Breed", I couldnt tell you how many times I've read them.

C1PNR
12-05-2010, 08:51 PM
I signed up for the collection of his books years ago, I think I have 132 hard bound books. I canceled when they started finishing some of his unfinished works.
I haven't reached that point yet. I'm still looking forward to the next delivery by USPS. I always try to keep a fair sized "backlog" of books to read, so I don't have to resort to TV.

I have about 20 of his books in that category, along with the brand new Vince Flynn "American Assassin" that I haven't started yet, either.

Right now I'm in the early chapters of "My Life on the Plains" by Custer, and have a soft cover copy of "King Solomon's Mines" under way as well.

Sure do love good books!:-P

oneokie
12-05-2010, 09:07 PM
"Flint" and "Last of the Breed", I couldnt tell you how many times I've read them.

Stopped in a used book store years ago to look for Louis L'Amour books. The lady that owned the store said she could sell all the copies of "Last of the Breed" she could get. Mostly to women.

MT Gianni
12-05-2010, 09:32 PM
I've got all of his novels in paperback, some that sold for 25 cents, and most if not all of his collected stories. I like Lando the best though I enjoy them all.

WILCO
12-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Sure do love good books!

Me too! If you get agitated at having to put the book down for an interruption, it's a good book!

C1PNR
12-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Stopped in a used book store years ago to look for Louis L'Amour books. The lady that owned the store said she could sell all the copies of "Last of the Breed" she could get. Mostly to women.
This is almost like karma, I just finished that one last week! Too bad Louis didn't write a book about how he took the Second scalp.:shock:

BSkerj
12-06-2010, 07:05 PM
If anyone gets the chance read some of Terry Johnsons books...very accurate historical wise but uses great fictional characters to tell the stories..all the Titus Bass series are great. Also he has written extendsively about the Indian Wars using great characters. To bad he died from cancer right at the height of his writing career.
Another great author of course is Larry Mc Murtry from Lonesome Dove fame. Sorry kind of got off the L'Amour topic.

starmac
12-07-2010, 09:45 PM
I met an old genleman in pendleton or, that sold produce for a living that grew up with luis L'Mour. AS far as I know I've read everything except the ones finished after he died.

MT Gianni
12-08-2010, 11:02 AM
The other thing was cover art, i would love to own the prints of some of his paperback covers in the 70's.

BruceB
12-08-2010, 11:47 AM
The other thing was cover art, i would love to own the prints of some of his paperback covers in the 70's.

I recall one Louis L'Amour cover very well...it showed a gent with gritted teeth firing TWO revolvers....one is pointed up in the air with a plume of smoke from the muzzle worthy of a Union Pacific "Big Boy" steam engine climbing Donner Pass. What REALLY is eye-catching is that the shooter has numerous empty cases in the air around him! The guns may even have been percussion models...I don't recall just now. The empty brass was sure funny, though.

Still, I agree that some prints of the covers would be nice to have. They were very well-done.