PDA

View Full Version : USPS Must be MAD (NO RAIES)

DCP
12-04-2010, 01:52 PM
PRIORITY MAIL 6 DAY DELIVERY

IL to KANSAS Through PORTLAND, OREGON

Out for Delivery, December 04, 2010, 8:19 am, OSWEGO, KS 67356
Sorting Complete, December 04, 2010, 8:09 am, OSWEGO, KS 67356
Arrival at Post Office, December 04, 2010, 7:55 am, OSWEGO, KS 67356
Processed through Sort Facility, December 03, 2010, 1:54 am, WICHITA, KS 67276
Processed through Sort Facility, December 01, 2010, 5:57 pm, PORTLAND, OR 97218
Processed through Sort Facility, December 01, 2010, 11:34 am, PORTLAND, OR 97208
Processed through Sort Facility, November 29, 2010, 9:12 pm, CHAMPAIGN, IL 61821
Electronic Shipping Info Received, November 28, 2010

They really must be unhappy

RobS
12-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Well at least you knew where it has been. I just sent out a mold USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation and insurance from Kansas to Wisconsin and it was scanned only when it made it to the destination city..................in limbo the entire time and I thought they lost it.

DCP
12-04-2010, 02:04 PM
That's called a courtesy scan they don't half to scan it. That what the USPS Told me on the phone and it happens all the time (oops I mean it doesn't happen)

Well at least you knew where it has been. I just sent out a mold USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation and insurance from Kansas to Wisconsin and it was scanned only when it made it to the destination city..................in limbo the entire time and I thought they lost it.

9.3X62AL
12-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Be thankful that USPS doesn't do dentistry. They would extract teeth via the anal vent, it appears.

RobS
12-04-2010, 02:40 PM
That's called a courtesy scan they don't half to scan it. That what the USPS Told me on the phone and it happens all the time (oops I mean it doesn't happen)

Well it may be a "courtesy scan" but it would be nice to know the in betweens. They usually scan much like what you posted up top, but lately they are lacking for whatever reason.

HATCH
12-04-2010, 02:46 PM
thats nothing.
I sent a SBR receiver to get engraved.
It went from South Carolina to California to Alabama in ten days.
That was using UPS.
I had it insured for $800 since it was already papered as a SBR, but it wasn't built yet.
I tracked it on day 8 and found it in California. It had been sitting there for 6 days.
I called UPS and inform them that legally the receiver couldn't be in California because its banned there. They gave me the run around. I told them that they had 1 day to locate the package and call me back. If they failed to do that then I would have to inform the BATFE about the loss of a registered NFA device. They called back in a hour with my package.

US MAIL handles alot of packages and letters. They do pretty good at not losing many of them.
So items do drop out of the sorter or get stuck to other mail.

MakeMineA10mm
12-04-2010, 03:08 PM
PRIOITY MAIL 6 DAY DELIVRY

IL to KANSAS Through PORTLAND, OREGON

Out for Delivery, December 04, 2010, 8:19 am, OSWEGO, KS 67356
Sorting Complete, December 04, 2010, 8:09 am, OSWEGO, KS 67356
Arrival at Post Office, December 04, 2010, 7:55 am, OSWEGO, KS 67356
Processed through Sort Facility, December 03, 2010, 1:54 am, WICHITA, KS 67276
Processed through Sort Facility, December 01, 2010, 5:57 pm, PORTLAND, OR 97218
Processed through Sort Facility, December 01, 2010, 11:34 am, PORTLAND, OR 97208
Processed through Sort Facility, November 29, 2010, 9:12 pm, CHAMPAIGN, IL 61821
Electronic Shipping Info Received, November 28, 2010

They really must be unhappy

You must remember that USPS was a govt. agency for almost all of it's exist, and there is a lot of history of inefficiency.

And, yes, you're lucky to get the "courtesy scan". In hundreds and hundreds of moulds I've shipped as a honcho, even with delivery confirmation, I rarely found any of my packages to have been courtesy scanned.

DCP
12-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Well this was a box the size of a med flat rate box.
It had a Rare Lee 22 Bator 6 cavity mould in it.
At least they didnt lose it .
I dont have many left.

US MAIL handles alot of packages and letters. They do pretty good at not losing many of them.

spqrzilla
12-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Two-thirds of the time, USPS delivery confirmations on my shipments NEVER get scanned, not even at delivery.

Lee
12-04-2010, 09:55 PM
???????????? Sorry missing something. Did you get your stuff??????????? Seems like 6-7 days. ??????? What's the complaint??? What is a RAIES???

wolfspotter
12-04-2010, 10:07 PM
A few years ago I sent a package from upstate New York to New York City. Took about four weeks to get there. Most of the time it sat in a New Jersey warehouse across the bay from it's destination!

DCP
12-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I was the shipper

I said 6 days ????????

It might help you, if look at a map of the USA

Sorry for the spelling. I am a little slow. I am still working on 5th grade words

QUOTE=Lee;1077017]???????????? Sorry missing something. Did you get your stuff??????????? Seems like 6-7 days. ??????? What's the complaint??? What is a RAIES???[/QUOTE]

Jim
12-04-2010, 10:39 PM
thats nothing.
I sent a SBR receiver to get engraved.
It went from South Carolina to California to Alabama in ten days.
That was using UPS.
I had it insured for $800 since it was already papered as a SBR, but it wasn't built yet.
I tracked it on day 8 and found it in California. It had been sitting there for 6 days.
I called UPS and inform them that legally the receiver couldn't be in California because its banned there. They gave me the run around. I told them that they had 1 day to locate the package and call me back. If they failed to do that then I would have to inform the BATFE about the loss of a registered NFA device. They called back in a hour with my package.

There ya' go, Hatch! Scare th' #311 out of 'em!!

Lee
12-05-2010, 01:36 PM
I can look at a world map as well. I saw exactly where you are located. I can also read a calendar. It's December. I also realize nobody is perfect, and mistakes can happen. Glad you got it resolved.

AZ-Stew
12-05-2010, 04:06 PM
I think you'll find the answer to why it went to Oregon in the first two characters of the Zip code. Somehow, the intended 67xxx destination Zip was accidentally entered into their routing equipment as 97xxx, an Oregon Zip. Accidents happen.

I've had MUCH better service with USPS Priority than I've had with anything from UPS. I'll stick with the Post Office.

Regards,

Stew

knifemaker
12-05-2010, 04:23 PM
I make custom hunting knives and ship nation wide and out of country. I gave up on UPS several years ago. High prices and too much chance of damaged packages plus about 6 days arrival time.

I have been using USPS priorty mail and have had very good results with them. I can ship a $200.00 knife with full insurance and delivery confirmation for $9.00 any where in the U.S. Try that with UPS.

If I ship on Monday, customers in Ill, Georgia, have the knife by Wed. If i ship within my state, customers advise me that they get it in one day.

I only wish that USPS would allow the shipping of handguns. I have to ship my 45ACP to a custom gunsmith to get some custom features done to it. Due to the ATF rules I have to use UPS 2nd day air at a price of about $75.00 one way, another $75.00 for the gunsmith to ship it back to me. The shipping price will exceed the cost of the work by the gunsmith by a few dollars. Now that is a true rip off.

DCP
12-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Knifemaker that's not a BATF rule that's a UPS rip off rule.

Take your 45Acp to a FFL holder he can ship thru the USPS for about 20.00 even if he charges you 20.00 in fees its still about half

I only wish that USPS would allow the shipping of handguns. I have to ship my 45ACP to a custom gunsmith to get some custom features done to it. Due to the ATF rules I have to use UPS 2nd day air at a price of about $75.00 one way, another $75.00 for the gunsmith to ship it back to me. The shipping price will exceed the cost of the work by the gunsmith by a few dollars. Now that is a true rip off.

home in oz
12-05-2010, 11:01 PM
If you enjoyed that tracking, have you tried to send something overnight mail-and it will take several days to get there?

ReloaderFred
12-05-2010, 11:35 PM
In the Portland, OR, area, there is a community of Lake Oswego. Looks like it may have been headed there, and someone realized it was in the wrong place.

I've had pretty good luck with USPS Flat Rate Boxes. Cheap and fast in almost every case.

Hope this helps.

Fred

odoh
12-05-2010, 11:54 PM
I too ship USPS and when I order, specify not UPS. There appears to be a class distinction within USPS that favors scanning of Priority Mail over the FlatRates. Additionally, noticed that the new UPS Basic is hardly ever scanned and they won't post deliverery estimates when they do scan. Still, for the reduced pricing, UPS Basic has been pretty good to me as the schema has them dropping it off at your local post office for actual delivery. I much prefer that over the huge brown step-van that gets the missus attn.

SciFiJim
12-06-2010, 11:13 PM
huge brown step-van that gets the missus attn.

Or as I like to call it “The Big Brown Truck of Happiness”. They only deliver fun stuff, not bills or such.

Full Disclosure, I am a USPS city mail carrier. I am not sure how things are handled everywhere in the country (it’s a very big place after all) but some things are common to everyone that works for the post office. Over the last several months there has been a very hard push to make sure scans take place when they should. For city carriers that means scanning at the delivery point when delivery takes place. One thing that isn’t emphasized that I would like to see is to have packages scanned when they are picked up. So far this only happens when you use Click-n-ship and request carrier pickup. (or is supposed to happen). Since I ship a large number of packages when mailing out group buys I understand the importance of the initial scan, but other carriers do not. When I send out packages I take them to work with me and scan them myself to make sure.

Being an employee doesn’t make me immune to the frustrations that everyone else feels. I have had packages not scanned on delivery as well. I also had a package that someone spilled something on and then they refused to ship it any further because they didn’t know if it was hazardous or not. I had to drive two hours each way to retrieve it. After examination, it smelled like cola was spilled on it

I know that the USPS is working on end to end scanning. It is important to them to be able to compete with the other shippers that do so. However, because of the sheer size of the post office, there are enough employees that just don’t care enough to be bothered, that it is proving difficult to implement everywhere. The standard for scans is 98%. When you take into account the barcodes that are obliterated, scuffed, dirty or not printed well because someone’s printer was running out of ink, it is difficult to achieve that goal. Even if we make that standard, it mean that two packages out of 100 don’t get scanned. Those are the one’s people remember. They never remember all of the ones that were successfully scanned and delivered.

As for shipping from Illinois to Kansas by way of Oregon, sometimes it happens for no apparent reason. More than likely, it fell out of the package carrier it was in and someone picked it up from the floor and put it in the nearest package carrier (figuring it was the correct one because it was closest, without checking it against the other packages there). The most misrouted letter I ever handled, was mailed from Italy to Brazil and I wound up with it in California.

I am not offering any excuses. I will say that most of us DO try to get it right. I am glad to see that the package did finally arrive at its destination.

MT Gianni
12-06-2010, 11:47 PM
We needed to make an emergency trip to Philidelphia a few years ago. The Cheapest rate we could get had us flying to Seattle, Vegas then Philly. Somethings just don't make sense.

troy_mclure
12-07-2010, 12:38 AM
i stick with ups down here, the usps is just downright horrible here.

ive had empty flat rate boxes arrive, and was told that the USPS only guarantees delivery of 2 day express, and would not pay on my insurance.
ive had packages marked as delivered but never received them, or received them days later.

knifemaker
12-07-2010, 01:13 AM
DCP;

The local UPS shipper told me the same infro as you gave. He advised me that I could ship it at the normal ground rate. My gunsmith, who is located in Il. was paid a visit by an ATF agent who checked him out for any possible violations. None was found, but it was suggested to him by her, the ATF agent, did not like the log book he was using to keep records of all transactions and strongly suggested that he use a paticular log book that she preferred seeing used.

She also strongly suggested to him that he only use UPS 2nd. day air for all firearm shipments due to less chance of theft by ground carrier. He was advised that he was not legally obligated to comply with these suggestions, but it was suggested to him that it would be better if he did. What is he going to do, piss off the very agent that may inspect him next time.