PDA

View Full Version : trigger question

Beekeeper
12-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Do we have anyone here on the forum that has rebuilt one of the IMA Gahendra Rifles?
I have one and am looking for a little insight on them as very little exists anywhere.
I have shot mine and it shoots well except the trigger pull is horrendous.
Must be 25-30 lbs.It is so strong to pull it will cause you to pull off of the target!
Going back over my notes I made when I was rebuilding it I find that the trigger spring screw was the only screw on the rifle that was loose.
Could it have been used to adjust trigger pull?
Loosening the screw would remove tension on the spring!
The only other idea I have is to stroke the spring like I did on the old telephone stroger central office gear I used to work on..
It effectively bends the spring in the direction you want it to go but here would be a very labor intensive time taking the gun apart each time you want to work on the spring.

Any ideas?

Jim

Buckshot
12-09-2010, 04:07 AM
............Jim, might wanna also ask on the British & Militaria forums.

..............Buckshot

John Taylor
12-09-2010, 10:31 AM
I get quite a few Martinis in for trigger jobs. First thing to do is make a new trigger spring. Most of the originals have 8 to 10 pounds just by themselves. A trigger pull gauge will help a lot. The parts in most of these old guns are not hard and that adds to the trigger pull, a little Casinite can help this. The angle on the sear (trigger) needs to be 90 degrees from the pivot point. The cocking lever notch needs the same 90 degrees from the trigger pivot. This is where a lot of people have trouble. This angle can be changed a small amount to make the trigger pull more or less. There is a point going for a lighter trigger pull where the gun will be unsafe. I try for three to four pounds. I have gotten them down to 1.5 but any jar will set them off at that light a pull. Proper hardening and polish work wonders. Some people take a coil or two off the main spring but I don't think it is necessary.

Beekeeper
12-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Thanks Buckshot and John,
Buckshot Like the guy in the dog food joke at walmart I am not allowed to go there anymore.
John I am told that Buffalo arms has Martini springs and from what I have seen they are head and shoulders above the Gahendra springs so I think if I continue to shoot the old girl I will get one and give it a try
Thanks for the help.

Jim

loiner1965
04-02-2011, 01:14 PM
i have 2 gahendras and each one is different...the latest one would not cock so i stripped it and cleaned everything and rebuilt it....it did cock but broke the trigger spring, luckily i sourced some parts off ebay and rebuilt again but i use a dry moly film spray which leaves a fine teflon film when dry and the trigger is very smooth and light..... i might have been lucky or the rifles prefer this to oil.....who knows