PDA

View Full Version : I finally got a mold...

Ridgerunner665
12-04-2010, 04:06 AM
Actually I got 2 :)

I haven't yet casted my first boolit, I've been stuck pondering which mold to get for months. I kinda wanted an LBT mold (and still do) but being new to casting I decided to keep it simple.

I have the Ranch Dog molds (TLC-460-350 and TLC-460-425), I also got the Lee sizer to go with them.

I just ordered mold handles from Midway...all I need now is gas checks.

I'm almost there...:castmine: :drinks:

Jack Stanley
12-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Keep chugging along there brother !! [smilie=2:When you do decide to get an LBT , I'm sure you will be pleased with it . But if you decide to keep it simple you might just stay with what ya have . That's if you can resist the sickness that makes the rest of us buy "just one more mould"

;)Jack

Ajax
12-04-2010, 10:42 AM
P.M. Blammer he is a member here and sales gascheck from Gator. Alot of us swear by them and he has awesome prices.

Andy

HATCH
12-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Just wait until you start casting out perfect boolits.
When that happens you will be hooked.

RobS
12-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Ranch dog mold designs are accurate for many rifles and I'm sure you will be happy with the results assuming everything is put together right. You are getting ready to cast for a 45-70???? In any case do make sure that you are sizing those boolits to the right diameter or you will more than likely not have a great first time. What firearm are you casting for; caliber and manufacture model. I ask as to help in figuring out what direction you are going. Slugging your barrel will give you the straight up answer to what diameter to size those boolits to so you have good experiences. A note: the Lee .457 push through die for many firearms is simply too small for the groove diameter. You can hone out the die though to whatever diameter you like with a bit of wet/dry sand paper and a dowel.

Ridgerunner665
12-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Ranch dog mold designs are accurate for many rifles and I'm sure you will be happy with the results assuming everything is put together right.

Yes, RD's molds are great no doubt...for the price, the reputation of his molds and bullets, and his customer support (pressure tested load data being one area of his support that is noteworthy)...with all that behind them, the molds have to be as good as any.

I didn't intend to sound like I was "settling" for RD's molds...I didn't settle, I decided they were the best for what I'm using this rifle for, and that is hunting deer, black bear and maybe hawgs.

The reason I wanted the LBT mold was for the LFN profile bullets...I'm new to cast boolits but it didn't take me long to see the long range accuracy of the 405 grain LFN boolit...my Marlin 1895 shoots them sub-moa if I do my part. (Below...I didn't quite do my part here, I should have stopped at 3 rounds...LOL)

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/132_3227-1.jpg

RD's boolits may do the same (or even better)...I won't know until I try them.

You are getting ready to cast for a 45-70????

Yes...its a Marlin 1895 (standard model...Ballard rifled)

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/Ridgerunner665/45-70pic.jpg

In any case do make sure that you are sizing those boolits to the right diameter or you will more than likely not have a great first time.

Yes again...I bought the .460" sizer from Ranch Dog also

I ask as to help in figuring out what direction you are going

I understand...and Thank You.

I'm new to this forum and haven't posted much (thats about to change), and I'm new to casting but I'm pretty familiar with the quirks of the Marlin 1895, you can find me over at Marlin Owners in the 45-70 forum just about any time you look :smile:

Slugging your barrel will give you the straight up answer to what diameter to size those boolits to so you have good experiences.

I have slugged it...it measures .457"

Thanks for the responses...I look forward to learning from you guys.

Ridgerunner665
12-04-2010, 07:01 PM
I reckon I should add that the alloy I'll be starting out with is Rotometals hardball alloy (92% lead, 6% antimony, 2% tin)

I bought 60 lbs. of it just so I could learn on good clean alloy...the stuff seems pretty hard, has a nice ring to it when you knock the bars together, and it says "HARD" right on the bars.

I started buying and scrounging WW's a while back...I have a pretty decent stash of them but I'll save them for later, I still gotta read up some more on smelting, fluxing, and all that.

And I like my 45-70 running pretty warm, I'm not a reduced load kinda guy (glutton for punishment I guess)...the 405's I've been shooting chrono 1,900 fps, I intend to use this setup for shots out to 300 yards but I'm gonna need a thinner front sight blade for that, I have a Skinner peep on the rear...so far I'm good to 200 (I can keep them all on a paper plate at that range)...oh well, thats off topic for this thread.

RobS
12-04-2010, 07:38 PM
The RD design is very similar to the LBT LFN design in many regards. The front drive band is a bit different on the RD with it being thin where as the LBT will be wider. The nose diameter is close to the same between the two bullets being around .330 and .320 or at about 72% meplat however the LFN LBT will be a touch longer from crimp to meplat. If Veral knows the bullet is for a Marlin then he may actually dial the nose length down a notch to ensure it will feed correctly. In all practical purposes the two designs are really close and the only major difference like I said is the front drive band (.02 for the RD 350 and .05 for the RD 425 vs a LBT which will more than likely run at .1 and of course the traditional lube groove).

Ridgerunner665
12-04-2010, 07:41 PM
The RD design is very similar to the LBT LFN design in many regards. The front drive band is a bit different on the RD with it being thin where as the LBT will be wider. The nose diameter is close to the same between the two bullets being around .330 and .320 or at about 72% meplat however the LFN LBT will be a touch longer from crimp to meplat. In all practical purposes the two designs are really close and the only major difference like I said is the front drive band (.02 for the RD 350 and .05 for the RD 425 vs a LBT which will more than likely run at .1 and of course the traditional lube groove).

10-4

Good stuff to know...Thank You, because I didn't realize they were so similar.