PDA

View Full Version : flintlock shotgun

camerl2009
12-04-2010, 12:47 AM
ok im siting here and thinking i want to make a flintlock shotgun i know
i can use steel tubing for the barrel idk seamless tubing im looking for
a 12 ga i know that 3/4" schedule 80 pipe is .742 id but cant find any at the steel
place here. i will get my hands on some soon and see the lock and stuff im buying from track of the wolf we will see what go's from here

waksupi
12-04-2010, 02:51 AM
Please get a commercial barrel. I've seen too many Pakistani and India made shotguns with tube barrels, and they scare the bejeebers out of me. By the time you have them breeched, there isn't much metal left holding things together in the back end of your pipe bomb.

MT Gianni
12-04-2010, 03:24 AM
The seam in pipe is welded whether it is Schedule 40, 80 or 160. I would go with Waksupi's recommendation. Show us how the build goes.

elk hunter
12-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Too bad you're in Canada, if you were on this side of the border I'd send you a modern barrel that I have from a single barrel 12 gauge that I have laying around. If you do use a modern barrel you will need to cut the chamber end shorter for the breech plug and you may need to relieve the choke as it may make it hard to load, don't know, never tried it.

Good luck with this and please do post pictures.

gnoahhh
12-04-2010, 12:31 PM
As an aside, there was a guy at the Baltimore Gun Show a couple of years ago who built a beautiful double barrel flintlock shotgun. Slender and wonderfully balanced it was. He even hand made the barrels and their ribs as I recall. Something like that would give new meaning to "sustained lead" on a moving target.

357maximum
12-04-2010, 12:51 PM
I have seen many a burst pipe in my old line of work. 90% of them split at the seam and some split at as low as 450 psi. You will be repetitavely impulse pressuring your "pipe" at 8-11,000 psi. I would heed the advice above.

I have even seen D.O.M pipe burst while pressure testing pressure reduction assemblies with 4500 psi using nitrogen. We used alot heavier/bigger "PIPE" than what you are talking. Recycle a modern singleshot barrel or buy the barrel you need please. Numerich Gun Parts has some singleshot shotgun barrels that are way cheaper than a burial plot/funeral.

DIRT Farmer
12-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Camerl, do not procede down this road, it will lead you to mental and monatary ruin. I know from experience. I currently shoot a Brown Bess and a 28 ga trade gun, and have a set of 40 inch 410 barrels waiting for cash to send to the smith. My cap guns set in neglect from not shooting.
Tip curtis Frontieer shop has trade gun kits and a good 20 ga. will handle most hunting and target work with shot or ball. The lock time on a properly tuned and maintained gun is equal to cap locks in timing, on most skeet targets the lead differance is in inches of modern. Muzzle loading barrels are slightly thicker in the rear , more steel for the threads.
A finely made flint SxS is a thing of beautey and a joy to hold.

camerl2009
12-04-2010, 04:25 PM
seamless tubeing will hold up just fine there's something called a proof load
i have a double barrel on order right now from http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/MDBF.shtml
thats a 20 ga i want a 12 ga too
and i know the tubeing will hold ive seen the way some gun barrels are made
forged from bar stock around a mandrill i can do the same i have blacksmithing
skills under my belt

waksupi
12-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Out of curiosity, I got one of the double barrel flinters from Middlesex. I sent it back. The lock geometry was terrible, and I did not consider the barrels safe to shoot. Knock yourself out.

camerl2009
12-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Out of curiosity, I got one of the double barrel flinters from Middlesex. I sent it back. The lock geometry was terrible, and I did not consider the barrels safe to shoot. Knock yourself out.

well the guy is going to proof them for me as for the locks i can fix that my self.
im looking at track of the wolf and thay have nothing usable to make a double
as far as barrels go most are octagon to round. so i have no choice but to go with the
middlesex i cant import a new caplock and im getting sick of registering long guns.
all the old caplocks have pitted barrels so not going to happen

shooter93
12-04-2010, 09:48 PM
A proof load tells you what the gun held up to ONCE maybe twice. that's not the same as continious stress and don't forget about stored energy.

camerl2009
12-04-2010, 09:57 PM
A proof load tells you what the gun held up to ONCE maybe twice. that's not the same as continious stress and don't forget about stored energy.

it tells you if the barrels bulge any you pull ont the breech plug and
make a cast of the barrel and compare the barrel size from unshot to proof load
a proof load is 3x a normal charge of powder if the barrel stands up to that
with no expanding its good to go

FrankG
12-04-2010, 09:57 PM
gunpartscorp.com has unchambered new Real Shotty barrels cheap in 12 ,16 and28 . Old LC Smith unused stock . Dang near cheaper than pipe .

camerl2009
12-04-2010, 10:03 PM
gunpartscorp.com has unchambered new Real Shotty barrels cheap in 12 ,16 and28 . Old LC Smith unused stock . Dang near cheaper than pipe .

i bet thay dont ship here

FrankG
12-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Have a look see here :

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Foreign.aspx

camerl2009
12-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Have a look see here :

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Foreign.aspx

barrel blanks cant be shiped here

FrankG
12-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Strange ................................theres several on ALR from Canada that build muzzleloaders with Getz, Rice, Colerain and several other barrels made here in the states. May go an ask where they get theres from .

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php

camerl2009
12-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Strange ................................theres several on ALR from Canada that build muzzleloaders with Getz, Rice, Colerain and several other barrels made here in the states. May go an ask where they get theres from .

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php

i can get muzzleloader barrels but not modern cartridge barrels
i have to have a import pirmit track of the wolf will send a barrel but i dont
like what thay have cant do what i want with them

camerl2009
12-04-2010, 10:47 PM
i im starting to make flintlock long guns and sell them
im going to make them with interchangeable barrels
20ga, 24ga, 28ga .54 1-56", .58 1-66"

waksupi
12-05-2010, 02:20 AM
i im starting to make flintlock long guns and sell them
im going to make them with interchangeable barrels
20ga, 24ga, 28ga .54 1-56", .58 1-66"

If you use the tubing for barrels, better be sure you have some REALLY good liability insurance. But what do I know? I've only been building muzzle loaders for 35 years.

Baron von Trollwhack
12-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Darwin was right in many respects. A fellow argueing that hard for an ultimate experience, ought to have it. BvT

missionary5155
12-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Greetings
What about just using a set of barrels that came off a modern 12 bore shotgun ?
Remove the lower lugs / extractor unit and get that breech plug fitted ? Certainly would hold up to any BP load you put to it.

gnoahhh
12-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Yikes, ANY kind of purpose built barrel would be better than the pipe bombs you intend to build. To do so would be a criminal pursuit in my book. Willful negligence can get you thrown in "stoney lonesome", not to mention the lawsuits springing from that hare-brained idea. I usually try to hold a civil tongue when reading stuff like this, but the thought of someone building guns out of steel tubing scares the devil out of me especially since it appears to be a commercial venture also. Of course, it would make for some great "Bubba" stories across the internet.

camerl2009
12-05-2010, 03:09 PM
seamless tubing is made for hydraulic lines no weld in it nothing
it works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYgiLaxNIK8

waksupi
12-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Let me know when you start marketing these, I will be sure to go to every muzzle loader forum I know of, to warn people.

Geraldo
12-05-2010, 07:16 PM
This is one of those ideas that will work great, right up until it doesn't. I can't understand why you would want to take the risk of maiming yourself (let alone others ) when you say you can get muzzleloader barrels.

camerl2009
12-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Let me know when you start marketing these, I will be sure to go to every muzzle loader forum I know of, to warn people.

the ones im selling are barrels the i buy. not one im making
i want to make a double barrel and the octagon to round is not cutting it
it can be done with those barrels but it dont look to nice

hickstick_10
12-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Greetings
What about just using a set of barrels that came off a modern 12 bore shotgun ?
Remove the lower lugs / extractor unit and get that breech plug fitted ? Certainly would hold up to any BP load you put to it.

+1 Missionary5155

theres actually a book which covers building a front stuffing double barrel using this exact method.

http://store.scurlockpublishing.com/recreatingthedoublebarrelmuzzle-loadingshotgunbywilliamrbrockway.aspx

I have a copy of this book and its excellent, well worth the price. Any gunsmith, or gun show will have an old set of barrels. They go pretty cheap.

cammerl2009 perhaps starting out on a simple single barrel flintlock kit would be the best place to start, you can get them into Canada, and you can finally start a gun project as opposed from bouncing from idea to idea.

btroj
12-06-2010, 12:04 AM
I agree. A safe octagon to round double is nowhere near as good looking as a round barreled double pipe bomb.
I hope you have a prepaid funeral.
I have to go with Waksupi on this. While it can be done, it sure as heck shouldn't be. This is the kind of thing that gives gun owners a bad name. "gin nut killed when homemade barrel blows up".
Great.

camerl2009
12-06-2010, 12:27 AM
I agree. A safe octagon to round double is nowhere near as good looking as a round barreled double pipe bomb.
I hope you have a prepaid funeral.
I have to go with Waksupi on this. While it can be done, it sure as heck shouldn't be. This is the kind of thing that gives gun owners a bad name. "gin nut killed when homemade barrel blows up".
Great.

thick wall seemless tubing
hell any one here have a rem 700 there barrels are made in pices and forged
into one barrel

waksupi
12-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Considering the dangerous aspects of this project, I am locking this thread,and warning any future viewers, to not do dangerous things like this.