PDA

View Full Version : Pitted barrels a cast boolits?

Murphy
10-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Howdy people,

This past week I did a full take down on my Winchester 1894 30/30. I've shot nothing but cast boolits through it since the day I picked it up several years ago.

When I began with the gun after I bought it several years ago, I did a full detail and cleaned the bore of any and all copper. My intentions being to shoot cast boolits only in it. I eventually found a 'fair' load for it, and have shot it for several years now.

During the take down last week, it seems I've found pitting in the first 4-5 inches of the bore. I've cleaned it with everything I have and then put 20 rounds of 'J' bullets through it yesterday. Looks like I have a bit of pitting in that area.

Question: Can a barrel with minor pitting still shoot cast boolits accurately? I am extremely tempted to have the barrel replaced.

Suggestions and thoughts will be much apppreciated.

Murphy

9.3X62AL
10-14-2006, 11:28 AM
Well, sometimes.

I have 3 rifles that have a bit of neglect bore-wise, and all three will shoot reasonably well--one of them, VERY well. I would certainly give the barrel a thorough try-out before shipping it off to a 'smith for a re-tube.

NVcurmudgeon
10-14-2006, 12:26 PM
I had a 1933 Obendorf Mauser K98k that had a bore that looked as if it had been used to turn back Russian human wave attacks and not ever cleaned. The rifling was barely discernible! It shot cast very accurately. I traded it to a friend who is still delighted with it, and he uses cast boolits exclusively. You just never know until you try it. Tinkering with that 1894, especially cutting back on velocity, may turn it into a surprisingly good shooter.

JeffinNZ
10-14-2006, 04:23 PM
I had a Winchester '92 in .32-20 the bore of which resembled a dry river bed. Shot lino bullets and jacketed bullets very well.

I can't help think that such a bore does add a bit more mystery to our chosen sport though and would not buy a dedicated cast bullet rifle with a lumpy tube.

Case in point: I hung out big time on finding an "as issued" surplus rifle for dedicated cast bullet loads until I got my SMLE with a MINT bore. Not point making life harder than it need be.

45 2.1
10-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Don't worry about the pitting, I and others have had barrels much worse than you described and get very good accuracy with cast out of them.

Bass Ackward
10-14-2006, 06:27 PM
Howdy people,

This past week I did a full take down on my Winchester 1894 30/30. I've shot nothing but cast boolits through it since the day I picked it up several years ago.

When I began with the gun after I bought it several years ago, I did a full detail and cleaned the bore of any and all copper. My intentions being to shoot cast boolits only in it. I eventually found a 'fair' load for it, and have shot it for several years now.

Murphy

Murphy,

Are you saying that you missed the pits in the first place or that shooting cast caused the pitting? Or your not cleaning? Whatzup?

Cause if you have been shooting it for years, then I don't see a problem as Bob says.

If it is really rubbing you raw, run a slug by hand and see what you feel if anything. That should give you piece of mind. Then use some LLA for patching the holes.
:grin:

Murphy
10-14-2006, 09:47 PM
Bass Ackward,

I've only had the gun for about 5-6 years. I had already gathered the information about cleaning a rifle you intend to shoot cast boolits out of free of any and all old fouling/coppper.

So I scrubbing the living daylights out of the thing. I think I more than likely missed what I am now seeing. I made the mistake of looking DOWN the bore from the muzzle end and never gave much thought to looking at it from the chamber end.

As for cleaning the gun since I've been shooting cast boolits, at first (and it wasn't from this website), I was told one never really needed to clean a cast boolit only rifle. This puzzled me, but I went along with it for several years. Then a couple years back, I did a bore cleaning from the muzzle end.

Guess I have much to learn yet about rifles and cast boolits. This has been my first experience with cast boolits and a rifle.

Thanks,

Murphy

Bass Ackward
10-15-2006, 06:52 AM
As for cleaning the gun since I've been shooting cast boolits, at first (and it wasn't from this website), I was told one never really needed to clean a cast boolit only rifle. This puzzled me, but I went along with it for several years. Then a couple years back, I did a bore cleaning from the muzzle end.

Murph,

It is unfortunate that this happened. I also doubt that it was cast or not cleaning as the problem would have been in the entire bore.

Unless ...... do you keep your actions closed in your home? I ask because you need to get ventilation through the bore. Otherwise moisture can build up and gravity will make it collect lower in the bore if your guns are stored vertically. Especially in winter periods. Some petroleum products actually attract moisture. Obviously, it will take longer to dry there if your actions are stored closed.

But my point was that it wasn't hurting you before you found it. So bang away.

NVcurmudgeon
10-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Bass, thanks, pal. Just learned another thing to worry about. As soon as I log out, it's off to the gun safe to open all the actions.

PatMarlin
10-28-2006, 10:44 PM
And that brings up another point...

What about cleaning your cast shooters? I thought that you didn't need to clean a cast shooter bore, unless your accuracy falls off?

Have I missed something here?.. :confused:

PatMarlin
10-28-2006, 10:47 PM
We're a dry climate, with humity at about 25% now, so I don't think I have a moisture problem. Never ever rusted a mold even.