PDA

View Full Version : CZ82 in 380

KCSO
12-03-2010, 07:01 PM
About 6 months ago a fellow who wishes I would NEVER mention his name brought in a CZ82 9MM Makarov pistol with the slide jammed 1/2 way back. Seems he was shooting Wolf Ammo and had a round go poof instead of bang. Instead of checing he just fired another round and the bullet lodged in the barrel came out with the bullet that bulged the barrel . (see Picture)

Well upshot was that parts and labor were more than another gun so I got another addition to the IDIOT pile in the corner. Last week while sorting stuff I came across a 4" chunk of 9MM barrel blank and the light went on. I took the CZ from the pile and tried to figure how to get it apart as the slade has to go all the way back to lift up and off. I ened up milling off the front of the slide nose and this let me pull the recoil spring out the front and then the bulged barrel would pass through the big hole. I now had acess to the barrel and I drifted out the retaining pin and pressed out the old barrel. I then turned the 9mm blank to the right size and smoothed and polished it. I cut the feed ramp and the extractor groove on the mill and pressed and pinned in the new barrel. As the French say wallah! or is that the Arabs? anyhow I got ahaed of myself, so I un pinned the barrel and pushed it back out and then tried to figure how to cut a 380 chamber.

380 chamber reamers are special order and cost more than the gun. so it was off the the lathe, if Jim Howe could do it I can too. In a mear 3 hours i had a rough chamber cut in the barrel and a D reamer turned and milled for a finisher. In no time at all the gun was nicely chambered in 380 auto at a cost of only 4 hours machine time at $25.00 an hour. Back goes the barrel and now I am ready to try the gun. I grab a spare slide and... and... FECES ! The slides don't interchange on these.

So it's off the the lathe where I chuck up the slide and face off the front. Then I turn a new nose piece and TIG weld it on. Then I chuck up the whole works and turn the front of the slide to a nice round form and I ream the hole in the muzzle for a close sliding fit on the barrel.

Wrong again, if the barrel isn't loose on the slide nose it won't tip to assemble so I have to go back and ream clearance. Now it's together and working, whoopee! FECES again ! In all the messing around the disconnector pin has fallen to the floor where it is lost to eternity and will only be seen in the future by the great god DUSTPAN. So it's off the the lathe and milling machine to turn and shap a new part .5 long and stepped and grooved for another retainer. Here's another 2 hours.

NOw the gun is back together and by try and fit I get the new disconnector working, hardened and installed.

The gun is ready for testfire. At 20 yards with no sight changes the gun is shooting almost center and just a little high and a magazine fired off hand at 20 yards goes into 2 1/2" . The gun is done... NO.

The slide is still marked 9X18 Mak so I have to drawfile off the markings and remark the chamber end 380. I also painted the frame OD green so I can tell at a glance it's not a Makarov. The shape of the nose of the slide is also different for the same reason. Now I just have to bead blast and repaint the slide and the gun is back up and running. Working time over 3 days is about 10 hours, BUT I did it, darn it and they said it couldn't be done.

waksupi
12-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Interesting project. This is why, it costs a lot to have something done at a gunsmiths! People bring in a piece of junk, and expect a silk purse returned by noon, for $20.

arjacobson
12-04-2010, 09:02 PM
fine work!!