PDA

View Full Version : Which press for bullet sizing?

MikeSSS
10-14-2006, 12:56 AM
My RCBS Jr. doesn't have enough leverage to easily size the Lee 312-155 bullets I have been casting. I size them with the Lee sizing dies. It's time for something with more leverage so I don't tear up the counter top. (I reload a lot inside, near the snacks and pepsi.)

Candidates seem to be the Rock Chucker, Boss, Lee Classic Cast, and Lyman Orange Crusher 2.

Any idea which has the greatest mechanical advantage? Opinions, comments?

If memory serves, the benchrest people had an article about testing deflection of the press and they thought the Boss had the least, but they didn't test the Lee Classic Cast. (I use Wilson hand dies and an arbor press for my BR ammo.)

It just occured to me that I might be able to seat the Lee sizing die out farther in the Jr. press, where there is more mechanical advantage. Hmmm, think I'll try that in a few minutes. Of course I might have a bullet stuck in the .311 die in a few minutes. More hmmmm.

OK, tried unscrewing the sizing die so that the sized bullet just becomes 'free' in the die as it is pushed through. I sized 60 boolets, it worked just fine. Just like loading a cap and ball revolver it is better to apply pressure and hold it for a couple seconds than to 'force' movement.

Still, I'd like more mechanical advantage.

This stuff is fun.

DOUBLEJK
10-14-2006, 01:39 AM
Mike
Put a little lube on em before sizing and they will go like grease thru a goose in your present setup.....
Either the LEE Liquid Alox or my preference...
I always have a dab of lube under my Lyman 450 er RCBS Lubrimatic after a sizing session and wad it up in a pea sized ball and store it in a dust tight container...
When I use the LEE push thru sizer I pull out a wad n rub my left thumb and 1st digit on that wad a boolit lube before picking up a boolit to size....by runnin' it between my slightly lubed fingers it picks up enough slick em to go thru that die with very little effert....

chunkum
10-14-2006, 08:27 AM
I have a can of Kiwi neutral shoe polish (its colorless) that I put on the bullets in that same way before sizing them As far as mechanical advantage is concerned, the big Redding press is mighty powerful. But if your bullets are that hard to size, lubficating them is going to be the best way to proceed.
c.

Bret4207
10-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Yes, I agree with the other guys- lube your booilts BEFORE sizing. Then lube again after if needed. Any lube, including the spray on's, should work. I used a real light Lee press for sizing with no problems, so I think there's an issue with your method that lube may take care of. If not, get back to us and maybe we can help figure it out.

versifier
10-14-2006, 09:50 AM
That's strange. I use a little Lee Reloader press for priming and all my push-through sizing, even when doing .312's down to .309 or .310. I lube them with LLA. Even when I cast from pure lino and water drop them there is never any real effort involved in sizing them. I don't pay any attention to how far the sizer is in the press, unless the pusher hits the bottom of the die. I have never owned an RCBS Jr., but if there is a not-very-rugged press out there, the Reloader certainly fits into the catagory. Must be a leverage thing as you surmised, unique to the press's design.

Dale53
10-14-2006, 11:24 AM
I am a great fan of lubing the bullets BEFORE sizing, also. If you are having to use MUCH effort to size, then you really need to lube. Having to push so hard will also tend to distort the cast bullet as opposed to using lubed bullets.

I use soft (30-1 lead-tin) bullets for my black powder cartridge rifle. They will distort easily. I pan lube these, then size. There is no serious effort necessary and my bullets are not damaged. Lee liquid or any of the spray lubes will do just fine. I would tend to use "high film strength" type lubes rather than something like WD40.

Dale53

MikeSSS
10-14-2006, 12:02 PM
I have been lubing the bullets with Liquid Alox before sizing.

The problem turned out to be that I had the Lee sizing die screwed in too far so that the press was operating in the part of the stroke that has the least mechanical advantage.

After I backed the sizing die out a ways the bullets became much easier to size. The press is now operating in the part of the stroke where it has more mechanical advantage.

I sized 60 bullets last night with no problems.

I lube the bullets before sizing and again after sizing, using Liquid Alox both times.

Thank for the help. This is a great place to get help and information.

I sure like shooting the cast boolits. The low recoil, low noise level, economy and excellent accuracy are all just as I remembered them from my high school days.

MikeSSS
10-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Cast and sized 76 Lee 312-155's today.

The casting went very well today. Last night I brushed out the mold with hot water and dish liquid and then smoked it. Got 76 good boolits out of 81 cast. The bad ones happened when I let the mold overheat and it didn't close all the way.

Today I put the gas checks on the dry bullets, and then used a smear of Imperial Sizing Die Wax on every fourth or fifth bullet and they all sized easily. After sizing I about 40 in a baggie with some Liquid Alox and massaged them around.

So, the sizing is going well now.

pjh421
10-19-2006, 02:18 AM
Something wierd happened when I tried to post a reply so if I double post, sorry.

Anyway, if I had that problem I would first try a larger sizing die if the throat/leade in question would allow it.

Paul

Jack Stanley
10-19-2006, 09:30 PM
Sounds like ya got it figured out okay . I use a Pacific 007 which I think has about the same as all the other "O" frames . I always keep the die set out so the bullet is being worked at the end of the stroke . For lube , most times it's the LEE stuff . Sometimes though I've used a product sold by Corbin called "dip-lube" . It works about like sizing die wax but a much larger scale :-D It's good for about a thousand feet per second .

Jack

newfoundlander
10-26-2006, 01:55 PM
For sh*ts and giggles if you have access to a Bonanza Coaxial just drop a lee sizer in the slot and run a few pills. There's NO resistance whatsoever. The only drawback is the plastic "bucket" can't be used so you have to grab bullets as soon as they clear the die.

KCSO
10-26-2006, 03:55 PM
I use a Lyman Spar T and lube before I size and have had no problems. Using case lube on J bullets I have sized 311's to 309, but this was pushing it. For heavy duty sizing and light swedging I use an old Herter's M81.