PDA

View Full Version : I have an update on my 41LC webpage....

Harry O
12-03-2010, 01:53 PM
It is still at the same location. The update was added to the bottom of the original page.

http://harryo.sixshootercommunity.org/

Buckshot
12-04-2010, 03:53 AM
.............That was very interesting, the old AND the new :-) Sounds like shooting the 41 Colt is a labor of love.

...............Buckshot

missionary5155
12-04-2010, 05:41 AM
Good morning
Thanks Harry ! Your info has alsways helped me in my 41 Colt adventure.
Hard to beat Black & and a heavy pure lead boolit.

Harry O
12-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks everyone. Just remember that it all started when I bought an old 41LC nutcracker reloader (Ideal 310) at an old gunshop. You have all been warned.

BAGTIC
12-07-2010, 08:44 PM
I have always been intrigued by the possibility of using .41 Long Colt brass to create a .375 caliber round. If loaded with an inside lube (Heel-less) bullet the case is perfect for a .375.

Unfortunately the Star-Line brass in .41 Long Colt is absurdly expensive and I just can not bring myself to unclench my fists.

Piedmont
12-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Bagtic, Me too, but I thought that if would work out to around .386 for the ideal cylinder throats and barrel.

Harry O
12-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Piedmont & BAGTIC: That has already been done. I thought of it, too, but did not do it (the cost to make it was more than I wanted to spend). Then, I ran across a 0.386" SWC mould and bought it. It was not hollow-base and was not heel-base. It was very much like a Keith SWC mould. It did not work at all in any of my 41LC's. I wondered what it was made for.

I eventually tracked down the guy who had it made (the Internet is sometimes a wonderful thing). He told me that he had a custom gun made up many years ago that was almost identical to the one I was thinking about making. It had a cylinder made for the 41LC case with a proper throat for a 0.386" bullet. The barrel was bored 0.385". He loaded it to the approx same speeds as a .357 Magnum/.44 Magnum. It was just about exactly midway between the two in the bullet diameter and bullet weight. And, naturally, it was midway between the recoil of each.

The 41 Magnum was supposed to do that, but it did not. It is almost indistinguishable from the .44 Magnum. Something like he came up with would have been a caliber that actually split the difference.