PDA

View Full Version : .45 ACP Lead in HK

frankge
12-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Hey,

We had a "fun" shoot last night for charity so it so I decided to shoot my HK USP45 with my home spun boolits. These are made with the Lee 230TCTL mold. Lead was nothing scientific, got a bunch of assorted wheels weights both clip and stick and water quenched them. Lube was the 50/50 Alox-JPW. Loaded with 5g Bullseye and a CCI LP. Used the Lee sizer, FCD with mild crimp.

Four stages and shot just under 150 rounds or so. Checked out the leading and it was only in the 1st 1/3 of the barrel. Accuracy was not bad and I'd say it was more the indian than the arrow. Not bad smoke at alll either.

Just looking for some input on reducing the leading some. I don't want to get into rocket science on major scewing around with the loads but I'm open to learning. I know its a polygonal barrel so I wont go past 200 rounds without cleaning. Up till last night most I put through this gun was 50 rounds at once. Pretty happy about this becasue shooting FMJ .45 gets pricey - thats why I use a Glock 34 for most competition.

Larry Gibson
12-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Try straight LLA, it may be too thin with the JPW added. I had exactly the same problem when i tried that mixture. Went back to straightLLA and it worked fine. Also you do not mention sizing(?) the bullets. If the "as cast" diameter is too large it can also cause leading with TL bullets.

Larry Gibson

454PB
12-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Leading at the front of the barrel is usually caused by a lube failure, however, the Lee FCD may be sizing your boolits. The way to test that possibility is to pull one of the seated boolits and measure it's diameter.

frankge
12-03-2010, 02:41 PM
I am sizing the bullets but I thought the 50/50/10 was supposed to be better than straight Alox.

mtnman31
12-03-2010, 02:43 PM
I tried that same bullet and lube in my USP (fullsize) and had HORRIBLE leading. My load used WW-231 and Win primers. I will say that I only have used that bullet once with the USP and have in no way given up hope for it. I just need to play with it a bit more and see what does and doesn't work. Keep us posted on your efforts to make this bullet work - I'm all ears.

Some of my very best loads for the USP use Rainer copper plated bullets, they are a little cheaper than FMJ's. Sooner or later I am going to get a traditional land/groove replacement barrel for the USP. I'd like one extended and threaded. Anyone have recommendations on who has a good one or whose to stay away from?

frankge
12-03-2010, 04:39 PM
it really was not what I consider bad. I tried Unique - 6g I think and found it leaded worse than Bullseye

I dont see plated any cheaper than FMJ

2wheelDuke
12-03-2010, 05:20 PM
I haven't tried lead in "my" H&K, mostly because it's not mine, it's the city's and I'd probably be in trouble if anything happened to it.

I've tried basically the same load with a Lee 230gr TC non-TL boolit with the Recluse lube recipe tumble lube.

I got some leading in my Glock 21, but didn't see any signs of pressure in my brass. It was a pain in the ass to clean that little bit of leading though.

AnthonyB
12-03-2010, 07:15 PM
I can't help with the HK, but I shoot lead exclusively in my two Glock 30s with polygonal rifling and have no issues with leading. I size in a .452 die which really gives me close to .453 and use conventional lube. I don't think the type of rifling is a problem.
Tony

2wheelDuke
12-03-2010, 11:26 PM
I was going over load data, and my Lee datasheet that came with the dies shows that as a load for jacketed 230gr bullets.

I was wondering if I was pushing it too hot, and that's why I got leading. I don't have a chrony, so that makes it tough to judge.

I think I may try dropping the charge down a bit and see if that changes anything. I've also got a Lyman lube/size die and can try conventional lube for comparison.

Oh, I'm sizing mine to .452 and not using the FCD.