PDA

View Full Version : Long .45-70 chambers

Dan Cash
12-02-2010, 06:31 PM
My shoting partner and I have a Shiloh Sharps and a Pedersolli Sharps for which I am ammo maker. After fighting leading at the origin of rifling last season with the Pedersolli, I sat down and measured both chambers. The Shiloh is 2.130 and the Pedersolli is 2.151. Have any of you run into chambers this long in quality guns of this caliber? I can stretch the brass but this is a pain in the rump. Rant off.
Dan

Don McDowell
12-02-2010, 08:30 PM
[smilie=w:Dan, my Taylors is 2.3 inches long. Set up a lee 45-70 in a good drill press with a depth gauge and reman scrapline 45-90 brass if you want to use greasers, use the Norma basic if patched are your cupatea. The Norma brass is to thick to seat a greaser when trimmed back that far.

bigted
12-10-2010, 01:10 PM
maybe im dense but if you load your boolit out to touch or engrave the rifling wont this still shoot well without the leading rite in front of the rifling beginings,,, im sure this has been thought out but the "jump" of any projectile will almost always turn out poor accuracy as well as the leading you speak of with boolits. for some reason that escapes me,,,the wetherby throat is the only one that is long and is almost impossible to load out to engrave the rifling and they seem to work fine...a puzzle?

montana_charlie
12-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Stretching the brass is the option I chose...
http://kal.castpics.net/CaseStretcher.html

maybe im dense but if you load your boolit out to touch or engrave the rifling wont this still shoot well without the leading rite in front of the rifling beginings,,,
If you are shooting a hard bullet, over a smokeless charge that won't bump it up, you may not see leading in the chamber mouth.
Black powder and soft alloy is a different story.

the wetherby throat is the only one that is long and is almost impossible to load out to engrave the rifling and they seem to work fine...a puzzle?
Have you seen a lot of Weatherbys loaded with cast bullets?

CM

bigted
12-12-2010, 01:02 AM
ahhh as is usual i missread the origanal post...didnt recon he was talkin about the remaining "chamber" for his leading. and no i dont know many shooters of wetherby rifles that load with cast boolits mainly i suppose that this is becouse im NOT a wetherby fan to begin with...just know a thing or two about reloading and the long throats of the wetherby barrels...this is what i mistakenly thought that mr cash was refering to with his post.... not the long "chamber".

cajun shooter
12-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Pedersoli rifles have longer chambers than most other rifles. They have a bullet on the Jones mold site that is designed for this rifle. My best load for my competition model was 68 grs of Goex Cartridge with the Saeco 745 bullet loaded to just touch the lands. Very accurate load.