PDA

View Full Version : K-31

mag_01
10-13-2006, 06:54 PM
I loaded 20 rounds of 7.5x55---full length sized lee dies----first 1 fired 2 light hit on primer--3rd fired----the rest did not fire --- no hits on primers----anyone have any Ideas?

mag_01
10-13-2006, 07:51 PM
I FOUND THE PROBLEM----full length sizing with the Lee dies will not work in my gun-----shoulder is different and case length is also affected-----the first time I loaded these rounds I did not full length resize because of talk about K-31 being touchy on reloads and loaded 18 rounds and they fired well---this time I full length resized 18 rnds. and had 2 left that where not full length resized///These are the 2 rounds that fired today---shoulder looks different--- so took 2 cases that fired and knock out primer -- reinstalled primer and both rounds fired primers ok-----any Ideas how I can get cases (18) fully loaded to fire ----cases are long and shoulder is wrong ? K-31 wont fire them Any help ????? thks. Mag

db2
10-13-2006, 11:20 PM
I do not know, sounds like excesive head space. Just throwing out ideas maybe pull the bullet and reseat at a longer OAL. Maybe that would hold the case head to the bolt good enough to fire, and reform your brass.

NOW, after saying that, it probably is NOT a good idea to fire a case with excess headspace. Like I said just throwing out ideas. I think your dies were made wrong or something else is going on. I have read but no experience about lee dies being made to 1911 specs not k31 specs. However this would not create an excess headspace problem just a little bass overworking.

Hopefully someone else will chime in on this.

db2

Bob S
10-13-2006, 11:25 PM
Lee dies work fine with 7.5 and the K31. They also work fine with the 1911 series, and the M1889. Improper adjustment of the dies, or a worn or aluminum press is the more likely cause of "insufficient sizing".

Are you using a Lee shell holder?

What brand and model of press are you using?

What brand of cases are you using?

The most likely cause of failures to fire is bullets seated out too long, preventing the bolt from closing completely. The second most likely problem is that you are not pushing the cases completely into the FL die. The press must cam over HARD. Either of these issues will prevent the rifle from firing.

When you first start reloading for the K31, you should check your resized cases to be certain that they will chamber in your rifle with no resistence. Put the rifle on half-safe:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/Swiss/Halfsafe.jpg

That takes the mainspring out of the loop and will allow you to feel any resistence in chambering. Drop a case that you think is FL resized into the chamber, and close the bolt slowly, using only your thumb and forefinger on the bolt knob. If it closes easily, you're done. If there is resistence to closing, the case needs to be forced into the FL die more. Turn the die into the press another 1/8 turn and try again; repeat until cases chamber with no resistence.

Once cases fit, sacrifice a few of those cases to make seating dummies for each bullet you will load. Seat the bullet and try to close the bolt (on half-safe) as above. If there is resistence, seat the bullet a little deeper and repeat until you feel no resistence. Write on that dummy with a fine Sharpy the bullet type and OAL. Save the dummies and use them to set your seating die the next time you load that bullet.

Loading for the K31 isn't rocket science, and Lee dies work well if properly adjusted for the rifle. Lee presses, however, can be a serious problem: or any press that has too much "spring" to fully resize the cases.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

db2
10-13-2006, 11:33 PM
Forgot to add, if it were me I would throw away the brass away. If it has excess headspace.

db2

waksupi
10-14-2006, 09:45 AM
I had some problems at first with this caliber, as I reformed brass from .284 Win brass. I wasn't getting the shoulder bumped back far enough , and had to adjust the die, so the ram was camming over with some force. After that, the problems went away. The most common failure to fire I have seen, is failure to have the bolt in full battery. I do believe the K31 shares the same design requirement as the Mauser, in that they are designed to be worked forcefully, and not gently chambered. These are military rifles, and need to be used as intended.

garandsrus
10-14-2006, 04:47 PM
mag_01,

Here's a good post about K-31 misfires. (http://www.swissriflewebsite.com/faq.htm) and other things. As Bob said, the most common cause is the bolt not being fully closed.

John

twotoescharlie
10-14-2006, 06:46 PM
very simple solution- read the instructions that came with the Lee dies instead of setting them up from past experience. put shell holder in ,run the ram up,run the die down against the shell holder, back off the ram and give the dies another 1/4 to 1/2 turn and lock down.

been loading these rounds for four years never had a misfire.

read the instructions.

TTC

mag_01
10-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks Guys-----broke down the loads and resized them--- work out fine---shot at the range today no misfires------Best load was 28.8 of 30-31 with a 200gr. gas checked boolit---4 rounds touching in a cluster and 5th round about 1/8th inch. out -----open sites off bench---thanks for the help---- love shooting the K-31--Mag

Ken O
10-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Bob pretty much said what I was going to post. I use the Lee dies, and reload the GP-11 with Berdans, and the Privi and Wolf boxers.
The group buy 311041 over 3031 works real good.
I mostly shoot jacketed ammo in it, the Remington's 165PCP are real accurate and cheap.
I had what sounds like a similar problem as yours when using a 168 Sierra MK, the oglive is blunter and I wasn't getting the bolt closed all the way, so I had the light strike marks on the primer. After seating a little deeper, the problem went away.
Be sure to trim after sizing, this rounds seems to stretch past the max after every firing.