PDA

View Full Version : CHEEP - Modified Lee case trimmer for .40-65

pbchunkr
12-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Hi all -

I just got a Browning BPCR in .40-65, ordered dies, mold & sizer.
When they came in, I resized 50 (suddenly spare) .45-70 cases, then realized they needed trimming about .020".

Lee doesn't list a trimmer for this cartridge but, while they'll custom make one for ~$20, I'm too dam impatient for that.
I wanna shoot it!

While a lathe-type (Forster, etc.) would work, I'd hafta order one of those too - and I'm also pretty cheep.

Having a dozen or more Lee trim gages on-hand, I decided to see what I could cobble-up. :redneck:

While there are other ways/gages to do this, I ground the tip of a 6.5x55 gage to oal of 2.515 and wrapped w/cellotape for a snug fit in the resized case mouth.
Works like a charm!

The tape might prove temporary, but at 64, I figger 50 cases'll last longer than I do if I take care of 'em.

FYI & FWIW :mrgreen:

regards,

Kenny Wasserburger
12-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Take a 45-70 one and turn it to 406 and your done, we did this about 15 years ago.

KW

pbchunkr
12-02-2010, 03:36 PM
But radial hand-grinding can be tricky and lathes are expensive too. :-)

This way, I don't hafta go anywhere or pay/harrass anybody.

Besides, the Browning chamber is 2.125", so this gives an optimum (or adjustable) fit - .45-70 gage is a bit short. ;-)

Just another "quick & dirty" method.

nwellons
01-29-2011, 12:13 AM
I'm new to the site but you already helped with a problem. I have been wondering about how to trim my BP .42 Russian Berdan and .43 Egyptian cartridges. Looks like this is a good start.

pbchunkr
01-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Welcome nwellons; glad to be of help.
Usta live in SE Atl, early '70s.

I've always been big on "do it now, cheep & easy". : -)

regards,

montana_charlie
01-29-2011, 03:53 PM
When they came in, I resized 50 (suddenly spare) .45-70 cases, then realized they needed trimming about .020".
Did they need to be shortened by .020" to match a number in a book...or to equal the depth of the chamber in your new rifle?

CM

pbchunkr
01-29-2011, 04:27 PM
To match the chamber according to texasMac's book - 2.125 in the Brownings. :-)

roaddog1m
01-30-2011, 04:36 PM
I did the same thing with my 6.5 Grendel using a 7.62x39 and chucking it up in my drill press and filing it down to the point where I started using 600 grip paper then polishing compound. I then did it for my 7-30 Waters using a 7-08 and also for my 6-06AI using a 25-06.

Cheers

texasmac
01-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Terry,

As CM is eluding too, the ideal way is to determine the correct overall length is to cast the chamber or make an impact impression. As noted in my book the 2.125” is an average of several rifles I measured over the three years of production. The shortest was 2.122” and the longest was 2.132”. It should be pretty close, but could be off by a few thousands. In lieu of a chamber cast I recommend you trim to no longer than 2.120” to allow a few thousands for stretching and spring back when fired. Concerning bullet distortion it’s probably better to be just a tad short rather than a tad too long. A tad too long and you’ll crimp the case lip with the chamber transition step and squeeze the rear portion of the bullet down too much as it enters the throat, which is not good for accuracy.

Wayne

Black Prince
02-04-2011, 11:38 AM
This brings up something that I have noticed when I watch friends reload. They use the measurements printed in their loading manuals to do everything. I ALWAYS have the rifle or pistol/revolver I am loading for right there as I am loading and I adjust everything to fit what I am loading to it. Once that is all set up and locked down, I don't have to do it any more for that loading session, but it prevents a situation I once saw in Colorado. An old boy had loaded his "specdial hunting ammo" for the trip and when he tried to load it into his 300 Winchester up on the Uncompadre Plateau, it would not go. He had to take a day out of his 5 day hunting to go into Grand Junction and buy a box of factory ammo. Bet he won't do that again.