PDA

View Full Version : How many??

singleshotbuff
10-13-2006, 01:16 PM
The previous thread about a restored press by jaballs got me wondering. Not that it matters I guess, but-----

How many presses (reloading, not boolit sizing) are on your bench?

I have 4 for metallic reloading (2 single stage & 2 turret) and 3 shotshell.

Wahtcha got?

Just curious. I sometimes think buying reloading stuff is just a sickness for me.

SSB

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Things I had:

I started out with a single stage, an RCBS Partner press. It was ok, but it was too slow to keep up with my competitive needs and a little light for my taste when it came to full length reszing 30.06 cases, so I ended up getting rid of it. Somewhere along the way, I picked a Lyman turret press, which I've also since sold, along with my RCBS Partner press. I felt a need for another single stage, so I picked up an RCBS Rock Chucker, then decided to try a Lee Classic Cast single stage as well. I liked the slightly improved performance of the Lee, so I sold the Rock Chucker. Then my son came to visit and took my Lee Classic Cast back to college with him.

Presses I currently have:

Due to the need for more speed with some rifle and pistol cartridges, I bought a Hornady LnL press. It was an early one, but I've gotten all the upgrades and have been very satisfied with it, being able to work SLOWLY and still turn out 400 rounds of very accurate 30.06 an hour is very satisfying. My son brought a Pacific/Hornady 366 with 12 and 20 gauge conversion kits with it for me to repair. I spent a bit of time cleaning, lubricating and adjusting it and it's running like a top. I think he spend $90.00 on the thing. (He shoots skeet.) Not sure if it counts, but it's on my bench until he comes to get it.

Presses I'd like to have:

I need another single stage and the Lee Classic Cast single stage is the one I'll be adding to my bench. I'll also add the Hornady LnL conversion kit to allow fast die changes.

I'm wanting a press to load 100-300 rounds or so of rifle or an odd pistol caliber, that's cheap for caliber conversions and is fun to load with, so I've also got my eye on the Lee Class turret with all the goodies.

I think these three presses should give me all the versatilty, speed and sizing strength I will ever need.

I'm not sure if a luber sizer counts as a press, but a Star luber sizer is on my list as well.

Dave

ktw
10-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Total of four.

Only two bolted down: an RCBS Rockchucker (general purpose) and one of the little Lee Reloaders (universal decap/universal case mouth expander/lee bullet sizers)

There is a third station on the bench where I C-clamp one of two Lyman Trueline Jr turret presses as needed. I have the smaller lyman dies for all of my handgun cartridges and some of my smaller rifle cartridges (in addition to the regular sized die sets for them).

Wouldn't mind picking up a full-sized turret press some day; something along the lines of the Lee Classic Turret.

-ktw

Bret4207
10-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Lets see, The Bonanza Co-Ax ( a truly awesome press!), the RCBS RS, the Lee I busted and gotta fix. All single stage. There's 1 each RCBS and Lyman lubrisizer and a MEC 600JR thats never been used. I'd like a progressive to set up for my peestol rounds, probably a Dillon. I'd also like a Redding turret press, just 'cuz I want one.

When I fix the little Lee, (they were not made for reforming brass) I'm going to use it for decapping and for the Lee Ram Prime. Why the Ram Prime? Because some cases just don't seem to like RCBS hand primer set up. I kept wearing the Lee Auto Primes out so I went to the RCBS copy. I should have gone the extra $$ and got the APS system. The RCBS Auto Prime rig isn't as ergonomic as the Lee, but it sure works better.

The Co-AX is a really nice press. I have issues with the auto shell holder jaws, but since I got it used, I don't know if it's the press or me. I got the standard shell holder gizmo for it. I'll try it someday.

dragonrider
10-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Two Lee pro 1000's
One Rockchucker with the piggyback conversion,
One Lyman T-Ram 6 station turret
One Lee Challenger single stage
1 Lyman tru-line jr
One Dillon 650
two CH single stage, only one functions, need a ram for the other, anyone?
One Lyman All American
One Lyman 450 Lubrisizer
One Star Lubrisizer
One Lee Progressive shotgun press 12 ga.
That's it until I find something else I can't live without.

rbstern
10-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Lee Loadmaster
Lee Challenger
Lee 3 hole turret
RCBS lubrisizer
Pacific 110 shotshell
Lee Reloader (in the range box)

If I had the room, I'd have a Loadmaster dedicated to each pistol caliber, a single Lee Classic turret for rifle work, and maybe small single stage dedicated to decapping.

I enjoy trying the different tools, seeing how their made, what works, what doesn't.

Buckshot
10-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Forster Co-Ax
RCBS Rockchucker
Lee Challanger
Dillon 450
MEC Jr

They're not all bolted on the bench. I have them mounted to 'T' plates that slide in and out of a 'T' slot on the bench. Ditto case trimmers and the Lyman and RCBS lube-size presses.

...............Buckshot

GP100man
10-13-2006, 04:18 PM
two benches,bench one
450 lubrisizer
rcbs partner press
lyman orange crusher II

bench two
lyman turret press
1975 rockcrusher
1973 rockcrusher
under the bench
lee challenger press

the rockcrushers were purchased at the same time at shop in charlotte nc.
the rest i bought new
always looking !!!
almost forgot lee progressive 1000,shooting bud gave up reloading on progressive &has two of my rcbs jrs.

woody1
10-13-2006, 06:09 PM
I started my reloading career with a Lyman 310 tool and a set of 30-30 dies. The kitchen table, no actually my desk in my bedroom was my bench. I also had a Redding powder scale. Other miscellaneous “tools” were a teaspoon and bowl I prob'ly swiped from the kitchen for holding and dipping powder into the scale. I also had a 12 or 16 d nail filed down to clean primer pockets with and a paper powder funnel. I used a rag and a little gun oil to clean and lightly lube the case necks before I sized ‘em. That’s it and it all probably fit in a shoe box. Yeah, and then I got a Lee Loader for my 20 ga. and we all know how big they are... and then...
Now lookit this. Reloading stuff set up or laying about more or less ready to use.
3 Tru-Line JR’s. mounted - one dedicated to 30-30, one to 38/357, and one floater
RCBS Jr. Press mounted
Lyman Spar-T press mounted
RCBS RS2 mounted - I use for push thru sizing
2 MEC 600 jr’s. Set up and ready to go - One for 12 ga. and one for 20
MEC 650 also for 20 ga. Set up and more or less dedicated to target loads.
Scattered about are several sets of Lyman 310 tools and dies some used a lot and some a little.
Part home made and part Lee 410 loading tools - yup used them 2 days ago.
Does a 12 ga. hand roll crimper count?
2 Lyman 450's and......
I have a Rockchucker under the bench ‘cuz it needs the little spring thingy that holds the shellholder in and I haven’t got around to calling RCBS about it.
Too much stuff, what am I gonna do when I move? Regards, Woody

imashooter2
10-13-2006, 06:24 PM
A Pacific Super C that Grampa used to load on (still tight as a drum) and a Dillon SDB that I bought when the competition bug bit me.

Not permanently mounted, but provisioned for temporary attach as needed are 3 Lyman 45's, a Lee Challenger and a Lee Load All in 12 bore.

Char-Gar
10-13-2006, 07:06 PM
RCBS A2 and a Redding turrent

NVcurmudgeon
10-13-2006, 07:21 PM
The fates have apparently conspired to keep me from aquiring numerous presses. My main press is an RCBS Reloader Special 3 or 4 on which does all rifle loading, and the low volume pistol cartridges. The RS was given to me free by RCBS when I inquired of them if I needed to worry about a little ram wobble in my then twenty year old Junior. (The Junior is now alive and well in the hands of a friend in Montana, at the age of forty-three.) For .45 ACP and .44 Magnum a Dillon Square Deal is able to keep up with any imaginable ammuntion demand. At the time RCBS gave me the RS, I was looking for an excuse to buy a Rockchucker, so RCBS shot themselves in the foot! I am watching 9mm and .38 Special use to see if I can justify a second Square Deal, but so far the RS keeps up just fine. At present I shoot so few shotshells that I can drop them on the ground and smirk, but there may be a short-chambered 16 in my future, which will require a shotshell press. Including the long ago worn-out C-H Super C that I started with, there have been only four presses in nearly fifty years of loading.

DOUBLEJK
10-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Well I got a Rock Chucker aquired about 1977 mounted to my main bench that see's most of the use of any I got....Upgraded from my Lyman Tru-Line Jr.....that was a serious upgrade from a 310 hand tool...
But attached to another bench is a recently aquired Dillon SDB and a LEE 4 hole Turret and a LEE Loadmaster thats gonna be fer sale.....to Mechanical for me...
At werk I have a LEE Challenger I C-Clamp to the desk...and a LEE hand press that goes to the range er prairie doggin'....

Swagerman
10-13-2006, 08:23 PM
Pictures...

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/100_0118cropped650X.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/100_0119contrastcropped650X.jpg

13Echo
10-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Started with a CH Super C press in 1960 and used it until I enlisted in 67. I came back from the Army in 70 and added an RCBS Rockchucker. Used the RCBS until it was back off to school and then back in the Army in 79 when I used an RCBS Partner press. It made for a light weight setup that moved easily. My brother kept the Rockchucker and CH. After settling down again I've accumulated a Redding turret for most work, kept the Partner for light duty and for when I don't want to change a turret and just got a Lee Turret for pistol. I have a Lyman 310 tool that I mainly use to decap black powder rifle rounds before soaking. I have two Lyman 4500s, one each for black powder cartridge rifle and smokeless lubes. Always need for more but that's it for now.

Jerry Liles

DLCTEX
10-13-2006, 09:22 PM
I have my old Rockchucker, bought in 79, I had borrowed one from my unclefor 5 years. I have since added another Rockchucker, An RCBS Jr., a Lee 3 hole turret, a Lyman turret, a Lee Loadmaster set up for 45 ACP, a Lee classic cast turret, a Pacific progressive 12 ga. shotshell press( the Hornady 366's ancestor),a Mec 600 Jr. 12 ga., a Mec 600 Jr. 20 ga.,a RCBS lubesizer, a Lyman 45 lubesizer, numerous Lee Loaders and bullet sizers. Some was acquired because of "need" and some because I find it hard to pass up a bargin.
Dale:Fire:

charlie / sw mo
10-13-2006, 09:43 PM
7 lee 1000
1 dillon 550
1 rockchuker
1 rcbs reloader special-3
2 lyman truline
1 lyman all american
1 lyman spar-t
1 lyman t mag
1 c-h h press
1 mec grabber 12 ga
1 mec sizemaster 12 ga
1 lee loadall 16 ga
1 mec sizemaster 20 ga
1 mec 600 jr 410
lubersizers
2 lyman 450
2 saeco
1 star
case trimmers
1 lyman universal
1 dillon

all mounted on the bench

charlie in sw mo

jballs918
10-13-2006, 10:47 PM
you guys are all true freaks lol. well since i started this year i only got 2.
Lee Challenger
and my grand looking rcbs
i would love to get a rockchucker. i love the way they look and the fact that would actually let me do most of all my stuff all at once

LAH
10-24-2006, 08:49 PM
RockChucker
RCBS Jr. 3
Lyman All American
Lyman SparT
Dillon SDB
Dillon 450.....2ea.
Dillon 1050

Creeker

Lloyd Smale
10-25-2006, 05:31 AM
5 square deals one 550 one rock crusher one orange crusher one lee turnent one lee singe stage.

fourarmed
10-25-2006, 12:02 PM
1 Hornady single stage
1 Redding single stage
2 Lyman spar-T turrets (bullet seaters only)
1 Hornady Pro-Jector
2 Dillon SDB

Friend of mine feels that changing dies is just too tedious. He has a press set up for every round he loads. Last time I was in his loading room, I think he had 17 actually on the bench.

BruceB
10-25-2006, 12:32 PM
My machines are rather few in number, but by gum, they earn their keep!

-Lyman All-American turret, new in 1967, waaaaay over the 100,000 round mark

-RCBS Rockchucker, useful for many things, but hasn't actually loaded a cartridge in many moons

-Dillon 550B, for large runs of handgun and military-rifle rounds

-Lyman Spar-T turret, mounted for mobile reloading in Der Schuetzenwagen

-Three Lyman 450s, maybe 40 die sets

-MEC 600 Jr, 12-gauge and dusty...not much shotgunning at Ragged Ass Ranch

Accessory machines are important too...RCBS Trim-Mate (power-driven case prep device), PACT electronic scales, Forster trimmer, Unimat lathe etc etc

mike in co
10-25-2006, 12:41 PM
here we go
two dillon 550s....one with small primer, one with large primer
well over 20 tool heads with mounted dies
a lee 3 hole turret about a dozen turrets
a lyman turret....32 s&w and 38 s&w
a lee classic.....my first real single stage press/portable to take to the range, but currently mounted on the bench
a lee c press(got it free with thier loading manual, not sure if i have ever used it!)
two green lubrsizers
a lyman case trimmer
a wilson case trimmer
a ???? case trimer
and now the biggie......
i have lee handloaders for nearly every caliber i load for.
for most of my mil surplus guns, i buy one for each gun and load in small batches.
i have 4 in 308, three in 7.62x54r,one in 8mm( dont you just wish !)6.5 swede, 30'06, 222, and all the handgun calibers plus 12 ga.
and a lee target in 30'06 for the '03a3.
i do a lot "hand loading"

KCSO
10-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Usually between 6 and 8 mounted and a whole drawer full of 310's and hand tools. I activly load for about 35 calibers from 45-110 to 22 hornet. Top three would have to be the All American, the Spar T and the Co-Ax.

Four Fingers of Death
10-25-2006, 06:40 PM
The Rockchucker was my first, bought in 1981 from memory (actually a Lee Loader was really the first in about 1971 or 2).

I have since added 3x Lee1000s, 1x Super Simplex (small aussie press similar to the old Lyman presses) and one Texan shotshell press. I have three sets of 301 tong tools and dies and about 10 sets of Lee Loaders, which I use occasionally.

Actually, nothing is bolted to he bench at the moment as I have just moved back home and the wife is sick. Don't worry, I'll get to it soon.

I am about to lash out and convert to a new progressive press/es.

I like Dillon, but am considering a Hornady press so that I can get by with only one or two powder measures. With the Dillon I need a thrower for each calibre (I know you can swap them around, but I have done that in the past and don't want to go there again, too much hassle).

Mick.

AZ Pete
10-25-2006, 06:50 PM
1- Bonanza Co-AX (1974 vintage)
1- Dillon 550b
1- Dillon Square Deal b
1- MEC 650

I have a Pacific C in the attic that I started with and a Huntington portable for travel.

threett1
10-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Just recently acquired the Redding T7, and it is awesome. Three hole Lee Turret, the invalueable Rockchucker, and assorted other gizmos.:castmine:

longhorn
10-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Lyman O-Mag, P-W Metallic-II, and a Dillon 650. I'm not about to admit how many sets of dies.

Beau Cassidy
10-25-2006, 11:02 PM
RCBS Rock Chucker for most things
4 RCBS Big Max's
1 RCBS Partner press c-clamped to the bench to load at the range with
Arbor press (used to shoot a little benchrest) now used to load .22/250 ammo
PW Metalmatic
CH Press- Don't know the name but it has about 4 stations and rams
Dillon 550B being overhauled at Dillon right now
PW 900 12 Ga. press
PW Duomatic 10 Ga. press
Mec single stage presses in .410, 12, 10, and 20 ga.
5 or 6 Lyman sizers.
3 Star Sizers.
Star Universal .45 ACP
CH in line progressive (Autochamp?)
Probably others....

Explorer1
10-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Guess I am strange, I only have one bolted to my bench at once.

In ready reserve are:
RCBS Rockchucker
Dillion 650
MEC 700 - 12 gauge only
RCE Walnut Hill Swaging press

Of course there are the support players which may be mounted in parallel as needed, powder measure, case trimer, primer seater, etc. And the benchrest arbor press does not need to be bolted down.

I just concentrate one one thing at a time, call me simple but it works for me.

Frank46
10-26-2006, 02:35 AM
Dillon550B for pistol rounds, rockchucker for rifle and lee classic for cast. Woulda had another rockchucker but indecision lost as someone else got to it after I saw it and waited too long. About 40 odd sets of dies. Funny thing about dies, leave them alone in the cabinet and they seem to multiply by them selves. Actually I don't sell dies when selling a firearm, only to have to go out and buy another set later. Old lyman 450 lubrisizer for cast. And I don't no how many lee cutters and lockstuds for trimming cases. Just stick them in a cordless drill and trim away. Frank

Four Fingers of Death
10-26-2006, 02:41 AM
Dillon550B for pistol rounds, rockchucker for rifle and lee classic for cast. Woulda had another rockchucker but indecision lost as someone else got to it after I saw it and waited too long. About 40 odd sets of dies. Funny thing about dies, leave them alone in the cabinet and they seem to multiply by them selves. Actually I don't sell dies when selling a firearm, only to have to go out and buy another set later. Old lyman 450 lubrisizer for cast. And I don't no how many lee cutters and lockstuds for trimming cases. Just stick them in a cordless drill and trim away. Frank

I'm the same, I buy stuff, but very rarely sell. I'd hate to have to buy another set later. I don't know why, but I have had several 243s and this is the only cartridge that I sold all the gear off when I sold the rifle. Not once, but twice, go figure. The second time I sold the rifle and gear I was really annoyed because I had a new 243 Lyman mould tucked away that I had forgotten about! I am set up again for 243 and the gear is here to stay now!

Mick.

Beau Cassidy
10-26-2006, 07:21 AM
I forgot the Forester Co-Ax and the HDS hand press.

Bent Ramrod
10-27-2006, 10:19 PM
My "workhorse" presses are my RCBS Rockchucker and a Bonanza Co-Ax. Also on the bench are a Lyman Tru-Line Jr. and a Hollywood Universal. Under the bench or otherwise unattached are a Pacific "C" Press, a Pacific Perfection Press, a SAS Mity-Mite Press, a Belding & Mull #26 and a B&M #28, a Yankee Model "C" and a Bond Model "C." (Here I define a "press" as anything with a lever on it.) Also three or four Ideal #45 lubrisizers, a Lachmiller Lube-A-Matic and a whole bunch of Ideal tong tools.

(On reading over this list I may have let my penchant for souvenir collecting at gun shows get a little out of hand.[smilie=1: )

rbt50
10-27-2006, 10:49 PM
rcbs ammo master press
rcbs turret press
dillon 550
dillon sd
dillon 650
mec 9000
saco lube
lyman 450 lube
corbin chp-1 hyro press
rcbs elec trimmer
dillon trimmer
giraud trimmer

Lugnutz
10-27-2006, 11:47 PM
Rockchucker...I don't have room for much else and I can only use one at a time anyhow!!

omgb
10-28-2006, 10:36 AM
1 Rockchucker ....bought used in 1977
1 Hornady Progressive with case feeder
1 Redding T7
1 Hornady Projector
1 RCBS Lube-a-Matic II
1 Lachmiller Luba-A-Matic
1 Star Lube sizer
1 Lee 1000 (I keep it a memento of bad buying decisions)
5 Lee Loaders
2 Lyman Ideal Straightline tools in 12 GA
1 Lyman Ideal Straightline in 16 GA
1 Lyman Ideal Straightline in 20 GA
1 Hornady 366 12 GA Progressive
1 Lee Load-all in 12 GA bought new in 1980 and still working

lawboy
10-28-2006, 01:26 PM
1 Lee Challenger
1 Lee Classic Cast
1 Dillon 650
1 Pacific Deluxe
1 Ponsness Warner P200 Metal Matic
2 Lyman 450

That is what I currently have mounted on the bench.
In the last 10 months I have owned about 30 presses, including some 5-8 RC, RC2 and RCS presses, about 6 RCJrs., numerous pacific presses, Hornady Lyman, one Star set up for 45, two Forster Coax Presses, you name it, I've owned it and used it in the last year or so. Don't even star talking about powder measures and powder scales, I've gone through probably 50 of those in the last 10 months or so. Buying and selling on Ebay has its advantages. I am constantly rotating the equipment I use based upon finding something else I like better, etc. Case trimmers, I've owned at lest 10 of the RCBS units, all three of the hand-powered types. Sold them all when I got a Lyman Universal, hands down better than the RCBS, no question! Regards.

toecutter
10-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Lee Pro 1000 (because I like frustration)
RCBS Rockchucker
RCBS Partner
Mec 9000 shotshell 12ga

Having all these presses is great, especially when friends want some ammo, or want to learn how to reload.

It's like an octopus just went through here!

fecmech
10-28-2006, 10:58 PM
Two CH Auto Champ progressives, one Lyman Spar T turret, two Mec progressive shotshell and an old Redding single stage shotshell with dies for 12,20, and .410. It's definitely a sickness!

rmb721
10-29-2006, 12:55 PM
I have the following:
1- RCBS Rockchucker
1- Hornady L-N-L AP Progressive
1 MEC Sizemaster- 12ga.
1-MEC 600 Jr.- 16ga.
2- Lyman 450 lubersizers

dltaskey
11-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Gee, I guess I need more.. I've used a Lyman Spartan since 1971 and finally broke down and got a Lee 4 hole turret last year. Took out the indexer though... Sold my old Texan 12 ga loader since I quit killing clay birds.

Rick Hodges
11-05-2006, 12:39 PM
One Redding Boss
One Lee Turret
One Lee C

bscott433
11-05-2006, 07:19 PM
1 Lee single stage
1 Lee 4 hole turret
1 Dillon 550B

Mad Mucus
11-05-2006, 07:42 PM
3 ONLY !! [smilie=1:

Super Simplex turret(5/8" dies)
Lyman T-MagII turret
RCBS RockChucker Supreme

Content... Mucus

grumpy one
11-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Just 3.

1 5/8 Super Simplex turret
1 RCBS Rockchucker
1 RCBS Partner

All used for different purposes.

krag35
11-05-2006, 09:04 PM
One RCBS "Rockchucker" and one "Rockchucker" with the "Piggyback" on it for pistol cal. and 223. 3 shot shell press' (12, 16 and 20)

Ron
11-06-2006, 06:09 AM
One Dillon Square Deal B with two tool heads for 38 special and 9mm.

Vegas Vince
11-07-2006, 12:58 AM
1. Lee Reloader
1. Lee Classic single stage
2. Lee Load-master w/change over for 5 calibers
1. Lee Load all 2
2. Mec 600 Jr.

If I had the room. I have 4 more Load-masters, to dedicate to each caliber.

Hunter
11-09-2006, 01:06 AM
I have a Hornady L-N-L single stage, a Hornady L-N-L progressive, and a Hornady Pro 7 (from about 1978 almost as old as I am and in better shape) all mounted and being used on a regular basis. For about 6 years now the Pro 7 was my progressive press but I upgraded to the L-N-L progressive a few months ago and man what a press that thing is.
Currently I only have those 3 presses mounted but I am fixin to acquire another Hornady single stage (soon) and a RCBS rock chucker (not so soon) both from family members.

modoc
11-10-2006, 12:55 AM
Glad to see others that need to have a press for each,

Dillon 550 with 4 tool heads (need more)
RCBS Rock Chucker
RCBS Junior
RCBS Partner (Boxed away)
2 x Mec 600Jrs (12ga & 20ga)
Mec progressive (12ga)

and have a second Dillon on the wish list

Modoc

dromia
11-10-2006, 02:47 AM
Probably got more than I need but love using them all except the Lee "C" and "O" presses.

On the bench

RCBS Rockchucker
Redding T7
Redding Ultra Mag
Forster Co-Ax
RCBS Ammo Master progressive
Hornady L-n-L Progressive

Numerous Lee Loaders

Lee Load All (for BP cartridges)

RCBS Lube sizer
Lyman Lube sizer
Vickers Armstrong Lube sizer .577"

Under the Bench

Lee "C" Press
Lee Challenger Press
Redding "C" Press
Lyman Junior Turret

Dan in Wa
11-10-2006, 02:12 PM
No one has mentioned the model 3 HERTERS press. Got me started in 1965 and still going strong.

GSM
11-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Just 2:

RCBS Rockchucker
P-W Matallic II (2 die heads though)