PDA

View Full Version : St Marie scope mount for K31" problem"

DeepSouth
12-02-2010, 01:38 AM
Is anybody here using this mount?I;m having a problem with ejected shells falling back into the action.The shells eject straight up hit the scope and mount and fall back into the receiver jamming the action.As far as I can tell the mount is installed correctly.I'm using Weaver Quadlock rings and 2x7 Nikon scope.Just checking before I get in touch with the manufacturers or join the Swissrifle website.

Artful
12-02-2010, 02:26 AM
My friend has a K31 with side mount scope but it doesn't exhibit that problem.

MtGun44
12-02-2010, 02:56 AM
Yep, mine all do it. I have seen sheet aluminum deflectors, personally I just pick it out.
They all do it as far as I know, the price of a centrally mounted scope on a rifle that
ejects straight up. The deflectors are simple angled aluminum sheet pieces that deflect
the case to the right.

Bill

DeepSouth
12-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Well thats not cool,but thanks for the reply.

mike in co
12-02-2010, 12:12 PM
cock the gun, then open the bolt slowy, reach up and remove the brass....

mike in co

spqrzilla
12-02-2010, 12:19 PM
It is inherent in putting a scope over the ejection path. The mount requires that you open the action more carefully and remove the fired round.

twotoescharlie
12-02-2010, 04:08 PM
My St Marie is offset to the right, cases clear with no problem. if you are using rings with clamping screws on the side thi s may be your problem.

TTC

HollowPoint
12-02-2010, 06:45 PM
I always thought that the St. Marie scope mounts were offset to the right.

I just recently sold mine in the classified section here. When I had it mounted it never gave me any problems; I mean other than not being able to get used to the offset of the scope.

HollowPoint

twotoescharlie
12-02-2010, 06:55 PM
I shoot left handed, offset scope works for me.

TTC

madsenshooter
12-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Offset to the right as on the K31, seems to work better for me than offset to the left as on the Garand. I purchased one of the Accumounts when he first started on ebay. About the only problem I've had is the fact that I have to adjust the windage on whatever scope I use nearly all the way to the left to get on target at 100yd. Not a big deal, except I'd like to use some old scopes that don't have the Perma-Center feature. Sight picture is going to be sorta funny on those unless I rig up some windage adjustment in the rear ring.

Dan Cash
12-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Offset to the right as on the K31, seems to work better for me than offset to the left as on the Garand. I purchased one of the Accumounts when he first started on ebay. About the only problem I've had is the fact that I have to adjust the windage on whatever scope I use nearly all the way to the left to get on target at 100yd. Not a big deal, except I'd like to use some old scopes that don't have the Perma-Center feature. Sight picture is going to be sorta funny on those unless I rig up some windage adjustment in the rear ring.

Zero the gun in parallel for deflection thus letting your reticule remain mostly centered. Your point of impact will always be right of point of aim by the amount of offset.

DeepSouth
12-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Guys thanks for the posts.I'm using Weaver Quadlocks that may be the problem.I'm going to try some vertically split rings.I had the Quads and I thought they they would hold better under recoil.

HollowPoint
12-16-2010, 09:23 PM
I was using one of the "Offset to the Right" scope mounts for a while but, I just couldn't get used to it.

Just recently I've started tinkering with my K31 again. I happened to stumble onto a video on YouTube of a K31 Sniper Rifle with a new style scope mount (new to me) that fit dead center over the receiver.

I always suspected that this was feasible. I just never had the time to work it out till now. The mount itself is made by Rock Solid Industries. Unfortunately for me, this scope mount costs more than I paid for my rifle.

However, the design is such that any DIY tinkerer with some time on their hands can put one together. I put one together earlier this week. I took it to the range yesterday and it seemed to work quite nicely. Only thing was, I was in such a hurry to get it built that I didn't properly center it vertically or horizontally so I didn't have enough adjustment up or to the right to get me centered on my target.

I had the day off again today so I took my time and made sure this second attempt was centered and I deliberately added a little more elevation for longer shots.

In my initial build I started out with the type of deflector described above. It took me about an hour to tweak it into just the right angle and position so it would eject my empties but, after testing it multiple time I could see that the shells were deflecting off of it with such force that eventually it would need to be re-tweaked.

In addition to that, some of my brass would show slight dings near the shoulders. With the deflector, the empties have to be ejected with some force to get them deflect out to the right. You can't pull the bolt open slowly and expect them to fly out the right side of receiver.

All in all I spent close to two hours just on the deflector part of this scope mount build before deciding on something different.

I ended up going with something I thought of out of desperation. Of course, since there's "Nothing new under the sun," my shell-ejector/deflector may have already been thought up by one or more other guys but, I hadn't heard of it before I made one myself.

I used a 1.5 inch length of aluminum angle stock. I shaped it into more of an "L" shape. I'll have to post a picture so that my description make sense because attempting to describe it makes it sound more complicated than it really is.

The shorter width of the "L" hangs horizontally underneath my scope directly over the ejection port of the receiver. The longer width of the "L" hangs vertically on the right side of the ejection port.

I drilled a pivoting hole the length of the ejector/deflector at the corner where this piece of angle forms the right angle.

It too, had to be positioned just right but, now my shells and my scope don't get all beat up during ejection.

In the normal K31 ejection process, the empty shell is ejected straight up and slightly out to the right. (at least in my rifle it does) With my deflector in place, the same thing happens but, when the forward part of my empty shell pivots up it makes contact with the horizontal part of my "L" shaped deflector/ejector, which causes it to pivot upward. Since the vertical part of my "L" shaped deflector/ejector is part of the same angle-stock, when the shell hits the horizontal part of the "L," it simultaneously causes the vertical part to pivot toward the shell where it make sufficient contact, causing it to be ejected out the right side of the receiver.

I can eject my empties fast or slow. Neither one will send the shell a great distance. If I eject slowly, the shell generally just drops out the right side next to the rifle. For me, this is ideal while shooting from the bench. I don't have to go looking for my empties.

If you get the time, take a look at the K31 scope mount I mentioned above. It's Rock Solid Industries. Just google it up. Their mount is a solid one-piece unit with an adjustable deflector screwed into place. I made mine so that I can remove it and use my peep sites if need be. Mine is a three piece unit that fits into the exiting peep sight mount in the rear and the existing K31 rear sight mounting area as the front part of my scope mount setup.

HollowPoint

Baron von Trollwhack
12-16-2010, 10:48 PM
The St. Marie clamp on base for the K-31 is excellent. Use Millet angleloc rings so that you zero your scope close at 300 yards using their adjustments. Medium height for a 40 mm head, ring clamps to fit the narrow 22 grooves on the mount base.

Start with your scope at mechanical and optical zero and look through the bore to let you adjust the ring clamps to get close at 300. Just snug and not wrenched down and when satisfied with boresight, tighten clamps sequentially. If you are shooting close at 300, then do the last adjustment using a few clicks on the scope adjustments.

Then, when sighted in you start at 5/8 inches right impact at 100, on at 300 when finished, and the impacts slowly go left of center as the distances increases past 300.

BvT