PDA

View Full Version : Reline?

joeb33050
10-13-2006, 09:04 AM
I'm stuck on this M70 Target rifle in 30/06. The throat is enlargesd so it won't shoot lead bullets well, it shoots jacketed fine.
Reboring/rerifling to 8MM 06 is a solution, but takes away the gun's collector value somewhat.
Norm Johnson doesn't reline high pressure barrels, he says that the chamber end is a problem.
Is there a gunsmith who would reline the barrel AND make a new insert to allow rechambering to 30/06? Can this be done?
I hate to sell this gun, but I only own lead shooters.
joe b.

Mk42gunner
10-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Joe,
With enough money, anything is possible. They line the chamber end of M2HB 50 caliber barrels with stellite but I never heard of replacing the liner on one of them. If you are looking at reboring and seriously lowering the value of the rifle why not check into simply rebarreling it with the barrrel of your choice?

Good Luck,

Robert

beagle
10-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Joe, most gunsmiths won't take on a chamber reline but the military does it as a matter of course as the Mark II 20mm used replaceable chambers, stainless throats and rifled sections. The remainder of the tube was smooth. All of these were replaced every 15K rounds as part of overhaul. Liquid nitrogen and a heat treat oven was required to do the autofretage process but surely if a 20mm could withstand the process, a .30/06 could./beagle

versifier
10-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Rebarrel it and save the original barrel to be reinstalled if you want to unload it at some point in the future.

HTRN
10-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Why not simply set the barrel back?

HTRN

Bass Ackward
10-13-2006, 01:57 PM
I'm stuck on this M70 Target rifle in 30/06. The throat is enlargesd so it won't shoot lead bullets well, it shoots jacketed fine.
Reboring/rerifling to 8MM 06 is a solution, but takes away the gun's collector value somewhat.
Norm Johnson doesn't reline high pressure barrels, he says that the chamber end is a problem.
Is there a gunsmith who would reline the barrel AND make a new insert to allow rechambering to 30/06? Can this be done?
I hate to sell this gun, but I only own lead shooters.
joe b.

Joe,

Collectors value is to a collector. You said you were a lead shooter. Big difference.

IF you can't get passed the collector value, then sell it to a collector. Then turn around and buy an inferior product that you will then be disatisfied with and want to rebarrel that.

Nope. Bite the boolit, go first class, and you won't look back. If you have never had a cut rifled barrel for lead, then don't leave this world without trying one. Call Krieger, tell him you want to shoot lead and let him do everything. You will get what you want and more. Plus the rifle will have comensurate value compared to if you get a lesser name to do the work.

Urny
10-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Lee Shaver relines chambers.

Buckshot
10-13-2006, 03:58 PM
.............If it were me I'd do what either Versifier or Bass Ackwards suggested. If as Versifier suggested you pull the original barrel to save, and then re-barrel you're done. Or as BA said, sell it to a collector then buy something else, you're done.

You didn't ask about this but if I were going to develop a pure lead shooter capable of cometition accuracy without having to mortgage the house I'd do this. I'd buy a Savage single shot bolt action. Then I'd have the action trued and if I didn't like the Accu-Trigger (if so equiped) I'd replace it with an aftermarket one.

If it wasn't available with the barrel I wanted, I'd buy it with a barrel I could pull off and easily sell. Then I'd buy a barrel I wanted, setup like I wanted, and install it on the action.

.................Buckshot