PDA

View Full Version : Question for the .500 JRH fans...

doghawg
12-01-2010, 09:44 PM
I understand the .500 JRH will soon be a production caliber in the BFR and am wondering..........What's it going to cost to start loading for this caliber?? I already load for the .500 Smith and have RCBS and Redding dies for that caliber and have an 400 gr. RCBS 50 cal bullet mould.

For anyone that's loading for this caliber already......What can you tell me about brass availability?? Cost?? I assume the JRH would have a Large Pistol primer?? How about loading dies??

I seldom load the long frame BFR .500 anywhere near max so the JRH seems to make sense.

Thanks

44man
12-01-2010, 10:30 PM
I understand the .500 JRH will soon be a production caliber in the BFR and am wondering..........What's it going to cost to start loading for this caliber?? I already load for the .500 Smith and have RCBS and Redding dies for that caliber and have an 400 gr. RCBS 50 cal bullet mould.

For anyone that's loading for this caliber already......What can you tell me about brass availability?? Cost?? I assume the JRH would have a Large Pistol primer?? How about loading dies??

I seldom load the long frame BFR .500 anywhere near max so the JRH seems to make sense.

Thanks
You can use both the dies and boolits. I use the Fed 155 primer and 296.
Starline should have brass and it looks like that will be your only expense. You are good to go.

doghawg
12-01-2010, 11:01 PM
What's the best way to get a bullet crimp?

mellonhead
12-02-2010, 06:30 AM
Have a local machinist trim your seat/crimp die down.

Toby

Whitworth
12-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Starline should have brass and it looks like that will be your only expense. You are good to go.

Ditto.

It's my favorite caliber now and I am exceedingly happy with the accuracy we have managed to get out of it.

44man
12-02-2010, 10:44 AM
What's the best way to get a bullet crimp?
If you have good case tension, all you need is a firm roll crimp, do NOT over do the crimp to bulge the brass. I use the seat die and seat and crimp at the same time. There is still nothing wrong with doing that.
Water dropped WW metal is tough enough to resist sizing when seating. Sizing .501 is working.

500bfrman
12-02-2010, 11:59 AM

I truly hope starline can make the brass. they don't seem to be able to make much though 74 calibers listed and only 14 in stock. and yes I realize they are good about shipping backorders ahead of time. but come on 1 out of 5 in stock. And 475 won't be made until there is sufficient backorder. But who wants to order brass and have a hold placed on thier card until they decide they want to make it. The 475 is made by magnum research, freedom arms, and the custom guys. Aren't there some rifles made in that too? i just wonder what the brass will be like for the 500? I am sure they will make a run of it, but i wonder if they will make any more "until we have sufficient backorders"

Whitworth
12-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Jack Huntington has a supply of the brass. Grizzly Cartridge Company is producing ammo for it now (5 different loads), so I don't foresee any brass issues.

doghawg
12-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the responses. I've already got a .475 BFR and this JRH would no doubt duplicate the performance of the .475....In other words it would do an outstanding job.

Now...I've not checked with MR but does anyone know when production is scheduled to begin on the JRH? Early 2011 maybe??

Whitworth
12-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the responses. I've already got a .475 BFR and this JRH would no doubt duplicate the performance of the .475....In other words it would do an outstanding job.

Now...I've not checked with MR but does anyone know when production is scheduled to begin on the JRH? Early 2011 maybe??

From what I understand, the announcement is coming in January and I would assume they will already be in production. But let me check.

44man
12-02-2010, 04:18 PM
I am in for one myself. Sold a rifle and saved the money.
Hard to save money and see all the fine bottles of Scotch on the shelves! :groner:
Set up a beer can at 100 and it gets boring, need to lay the can down and shoot through the bottom. The only limit is vision and if you can see the target. Just like the .475!
After Whitworth brought his over and let me slobber all over it, I do need more Scotch! :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Whitworth
12-02-2010, 04:33 PM
The first of the year......

Whitworth
12-02-2010, 05:24 PM
I truly hope starline can make the brass. they don't seem to be able to make much though 74 calibers listed and only 14 in stock. and yes I realize they are good about shipping backorders ahead of time. but come on 1 out of 5 in stock. And 475 won't be made until there is sufficient backorder. But who wants to order brass and have a hold placed on thier card until they decide they want to make it. The 475 is made by magnum research, freedom arms, and the custom guys. Aren't there some rifles made in that too? i just wonder what the brass will be like for the 500? I am sure they will make a run of it, but i wonder if they will make any more "until we have sufficient backorders"

Starline made the brass with the proper head stamp. You can get it directly from Jack Huntington (530/268-6877) for $52.00 for 100 pieces of brass.

500bfrman
12-02-2010, 05:31 PM
not concerned right now. I was just bringing up down the road, when Jack is out, whenever that may be. It will happen eventually. We need starline to make more. Hopefully somebody has more pull, than does regarding the 475 Linebaugh.

outdoorfan
12-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Whitworth,

MR makes those 500 jrh's with the short cylinder, right?

c.r.
12-03-2010, 02:03 AM
But who wants to order brass and have a hold placed on thier card until they decide they want to make it.

My experience is that Starline does not place a hold or charge your credit card until the item is shipped.

I had placed an order for some 32 H&R brass that was on backorder. If i recall correctly the backorder got pushed back. whatever it was, it was updated on their website and i was well aware of what was going on.

Anyway, the backorder ended up being a bit longer than the initial date. My card was not charged until the item shipped AND..............Starline even called me to verify I still wanted the order and verify that i still wanted on the credit card that I provided them.

I am extremely pleased with Starline's product and service.

~c.r.

ole 5 hole group
12-03-2010, 04:59 AM
Whitworth,

I'm not Whitworth, but I've got a BFR 500JRH and it comes with the standard cylinder - same length as the 454, 475L etc - not the 'magnum" size 45/70 that the 500 Smith comes in.

Jack's price is mighty fair when you consider Starline charges $0.43 per case for the 500 Linebaugh and $0.58 for the 500 Smith but you need to order 250 cases at a shot in those calibers for that price.

The taper on the 500JRH case prevents you from shooting much over a 440 grain HC unless you have a "custom" mold, as a standard length 500 grain HC will buldge the case just enough to prevent the case from dropping into the cylinder charge hole - however, the 500 grain jacketed Hornady will load perfectly and shoots very well from the BFR.

Whitworth
12-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Whitworth,

Yes indeed, it is the short framed revolver.

500bfrman
12-03-2010, 11:30 AM
My experience is that Starline does not place a hold or charge your credit card until the item is shipped.[QUOTE]

mine is the opposite

[QUOTE]
I am extremely pleased with Starline's product and service.

~c.r.

As am I.

Just to be perfectly clear, I am very pleased that magnum is bringing this out. The more bfr's the better in my opinion. I am very glad JH has brass right now. I am just pointing out that starline can't seem to make brass for the 475, so my faith is a little lacking that they will make this when we need it. AFTER the intial run newness is gone. I hope I am wrong. I hope they actually decide to make 475 brass sometime in the future. I have and will continue to buy starline products. I rarely buy anything else. I just wish they could make it a little quicker.

Whitworth
12-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Jack has thousands of pieces of brass for sale. I wouldn't worry about more being produced.

outdoorfan
12-03-2010, 12:26 PM
The taper on the 500JRH case prevents you from shooting much over a 440 grain HC unless you have a "custom" mold, as a standard length 500 grain HC will buldge the case just enough to prevent the case from dropping into the cylinder charge hole - however, the 500 grain jacketed Hornady will load perfectly and shoots very well from the BFR.

By "custom HC" do you mean a lead bullet with enough nose on it that the base doesn't extend too far into the case? Are those cylinders long enough to accommodate a really long nose?

Aren't all boolits for these guns more or less custom? :bigsmyl2:

Whitworth
12-03-2010, 12:32 PM

No, they are .501 diameter just like the .500 S&W, the .500 Special, .50 AE, and even the .500 WE. I got some 400 grain WFNs from Double Tap Ammo that have produced some great groups from my BFR.

jwp475
12-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Jack Huntington has a supply of the brass. Grizzly Cartridge Company is producing ammo for it now (5 different loads), so I don't foresee any brass issues.

Brass can also be made from 500 S&W brass if one so desires

ole 5 hole group
12-03-2010, 08:15 PM
By "custom HC" do you mean a lead bullet with enough nose on it that the base doesn't extend too far into the case? Are those cylinders long enough to accommodate a really long nose?

If you want to run 465 to 500 grain hardcast bullets you need just a tad shorter shank and a wide nose to get the 500 grain weight.

The case should be 1.4" after FL resizing. Max OAL of loaded case probably should not exceed 1.845". On the Hard Cast you want to keep the nose at 0.445" and the shank at 0.550" including the gas check and you shouldn't have any problems. 0.560" shank with the gas check is a hit/miss thing depending on your case, as some have a tad more taper than others. Sometimes the gas check might be the problem also? Those cases you can set aside for the 440 grainers if you go 0.560" shank.

On the Hornady 500 grain jacketed bullet I keep mine at 1.842" and the cannelure is completely covered at that OAL and I use a heavy taper crimp and haven't had any problems with bullet jump at 1,100fps or less. The number 4 & 5 bullets jump a tad but not enough to tie up the cylinder (close) and if you get down to the 900fps mark you probably won't see any bullet jump. If you could cut a grove in the Hornady jacket to use a roll crimp you would be golden. The Hornady jacketed bullet is 1.009" OAL but seats 0.580" into the case due to the bevel, which looks to be about 0.040". Damn good bullet.

I've given up dinkin' with the 500JRH, as I now use only HC in the 350, 400 and 440 grain weights and the Hornady jacketed in the 500 grain. Life is a lot simpler that way.

44man
12-04-2010, 10:12 AM
There is NO NEED for a 500 gr boolit, 400 to 440 is enough for anything on earth.
I am the first to admit I have no idea what the heck I am doing when I cut a cherry for one of my molds. I have no drawings or specs. I just cut a GG here and there and make the end of the boolit there. I shape the nose with a file. Don't ever ask me about angles, etc! :bigsmyl2:
Then to shoot under 1" at 100 yards is something I can't explain because some of my boolits go against many posts.
Yes, I made boolits for the .44 Marlin that will NOT shoot from my revolver and I can not tell anyone why. But I have made .44 revolver boolits that are just crazy accurate, again against all knowledge about length, weight distribution, base band and front band, etc.
The .475 and .500 JRH boolits just came out perfect for some screwy reason and I will send anyone some to have a mold made once I cast some more, we ran out. Just call them JM molds.