PDA

View Full Version : My BT's Came - I'm Off and Runnin'

BwBrown
12-01-2010, 06:25 PM
He said they were ready a few days ago, and sure 'nuff the mailman today dropped off my BTSniper .45 Colt dies.

The box holds the dies, ready to go and a handful of baggies of samples.

Each baggie of samples has the steps of operation, handwritten instructions and the proper punches. The only way Brian could make it any easier, is if he'd come and screw them into the press for you!

Even the box is classy - Brian has embossed his BTSniper name on the cover - very cool! And very professional.
Thanks Brian! If anyone is sittin' on the fence, I'd get going. Once word gets around a bit, the waiting list will begin to grow.

So, I got out my kiln. Picked it up a couple months ago when I decided to give swaging a go, about $150 on ebay. The Pyrometer temp gauge was another $95. (This IS to save money, right?) It is a model maker/glass/jewelry size, plugs into a regular 110 volt outlet. The inside is 8"x9"x6" - quite handy - took 15 minutes to heat up, them hold an hour, then shut down and let cool.

I'm using a 4" deep large (5"?) square electrical wall box for a container, burnt the zinc coating off with a propane torch. I was surprised, it holds maybe 75 or so 40S&W cases - I'll count'em when they cool down. Brought the kiln up to 1,150 degrees Fahrenheit (610 degrees centigrade), and cut back the power to hold it there for an hour. It will be awhile 'til things are cool enough to get them out, but unless I've missed something, those cases should be"like budda!" At the very least, I've duplicated the oven cleaning cycle without raising the ire of the manager of said stove. (I long ago learned that the WAF - wife approval factor - is never to be taken for granted.)

After supper, I'll fire up my Lee pot, melt down some soft lead, and cast some slugs in my Lee .401-175gr. mould.

Film at 11.
Bob

Jailer
12-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Yup, now the fun begins. While I was waiting for my dies I annealed about 1800 cases so I would be ready to go when my dies arrived. I've been knocking them out since.

You'll be real happy with the results once you get it set the way you want it.

torker
12-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Hey Jailer, Congrats on the sucess of your adventure. How about some pics? Would really be nice to see your set-up. Thanks and good luck swaging!!!

BT Sniper
12-04-2010, 01:17 PM
BW,

Glad you like the set. I certainly do my best to make it as easy as possible for all of you to achieve sucess at this hobby. Do let me or any of us here know if you ever have any questions. I have the prototype notching die just about ready for you. It will finish up those bullets of yours quite nicely. Almost have the production run of universial dies ready too for all the rest of you.

Keep us posted with your success.

Swage On!

BT