PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Solder drippings?

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
12-01-2010, 04:11 PM
I got my hands on some 50/50 solder drippings. Do you just clean as melted lead?

I haven't done any drippings before and would like to know how it is done.

Thanks for any help!!

littlejack
12-01-2010, 09:09 PM
IEH:
The solder dripping that I got a year or so back, I just put in a dutch oven and poured the
propane to em. As the solids started to melt, I used a seive spoon to stir and to dredge out
the dirt and other ****. As the melt got deeper, I just kept stirring and dredging out the
solids. I did get a lot of heavey solids left under the melt on the bottom when finishing
pouring into ingots.
If I were to do it again, I would get the melt all nice and shiny and clean (lots of fluxing)
as before, then turn the heat off and let it harden. After it hardened, I would dump it out
upside down and wire brush the heavy solids off of the bottom.
Then you can reheat and clean again and then pour into ingots. Hope this is what you
wanted.
Jack

dale2242
12-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Clean the drippings just like smelting WWs. Melt in your smelting pot. Flux and skim a few times. Remember solder has a lot of tin, be sure to flux it well before skimming. Pour clean solder into appropriate sized ingot molds. I like the lee mold because of the 1/2# molds in the middle.
Some have suggested casting solder into large boolits molds for adding smaller quantities....dale