PDA

View Full Version : Question about Stevens trigger

Jack Stanley
12-01-2010, 03:54 PM
On the trigger group of my Stevens model 200 rifle there are two screws one can get to easily . One controls the weight of the pull and it's beside the group and has a wire spring bearing against it .

The other is behind the trigger on some sort of lever . I have done searches on other forums and no one seems to have identified it before they refer you to buy an aftermarket trigger .

Would someone please tell me the function of that screw ?

Thanks very much , Jack

Larry Gibson
12-01-2010, 05:12 PM
That should be the screw that rides against the bottom of the safety to prevent the trigger from being pulled. If you adjust the trigger the last adjustment needs to be with that screw to makes sure the safety will go on and that it solidly blocks the trigger.

I grind and polish the main wire spring into gently tapered (toward the end) leaf spring. Much finer and more consistent trigger pulls can be had then.

Larry Gibson

Jack Stanley
12-01-2010, 10:55 PM
I read a couple articles about adjusting this trigger and so far all I've done is back out the tension screw by two notches .

Perhaps reading those articles had me going cross-eyed , I thought they were saying that the safety adjustment was available by taking the trigger group off . Another implied that the screw behind the trigger (and they had a pointer showing it on the bottom of the lever ) was a overtravel adjustment .

If I remember right the safelty still works right , I've been going to back off the tension screw one more notch and measure that . Right now it's just over sixty-four ounces and it has some creep and a little overtravel . If I could find a simple fix for it I'd like to try but I really don't want to put more money into it . I guess it's one of those trigger you could live with if you had to .

Jack

Three44s
12-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Get yourself a Savage "three screw" and you will have a sear adjustment as well.

They are available on Savageshooters.com if you register as a paid member ($12 a year) which allows you to use the member classifieds. If you chose to not join as a paid member, I'd look up "Northlander" .... a vendor/member and he has sold these triggers as well.

The trigger itself generally fetches about $25-35 from members and is basically a drop in unit.

The Savage trigger spring is best changed to .041" music wire. You make your own by bending it to conform to your existing spring configuration.

This material is also best found on Savageshooters.com as well. There is a member there that gives enough of this away for 3-4 rifles for the mere cost of a SASE!

(I believe his name over there is 243shooter ....... )

If you do go there ...... and have trouble getting around .... look me up ...... I'm "Three44s" there also.

Best regards

Three 44s

kelbro
12-03-2010, 08:16 AM
You can only back that adjustment screw off so far before the trigger ceases to function correctly.

The .041 music wire swap makes one heck of an improvement on the standard trigger.

Larry Gibson
12-03-2010, 02:04 PM
It is when you adjust the sear engagement that the safety can get out of adjustment. Just adjusting the tension screw should not effect the safety adjustment. I should have said that in post above, my bad, sorry.

Larry Gibson

Jack Stanley
12-03-2010, 07:29 PM
I haven't turned it at all yet , it looks like it has a "sealant" on it . It seems to me that it would be an overtravel but I just don't know . I don't like twisting on trigger stuff when I don't know what it does .

Back when I started with rifles my gunsmith showed me what each screw on a Remington seven hundred did . Since I tend to be a bit conservative with triggers , I haven't made a mess of a Remington as of yet . I certainly don't want to go bad with a Stevens trigger .

Jack

MtGun44
12-04-2010, 03:10 AM
Good to be conservative about triggers. Trying smaller diam music wire seems like a really safe bet.

Bill

Jack Stanley
12-04-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm sure it is my luck with bending springs seems to be they break . With whatever Savage put on this rifle I was able to get the pull weight down to just over sixty-four ounces by moving the screw just two notches . That's what , a bit over four pounds ? If this last screw is an over travel that would help greatly if not , well I'll live with what it is .

I know it won't match the Kimber trigger in my other chuck splasher . It will however be fine for offhand practice with a scope using less costly ammo .

Jack