PDA

View Full Version : Infared thermometer?

skytex
12-01-2010, 03:30 PM
I read this somewhere recently, but don't remember if it was here or on shotgunworld. Someone asked about using an infrared thermometer from harbor freight. IIRC they said it wouldn't work because the lead was too shiny. Someone else said to drop an old (pre'1983) penny on top and it would float, turn black, and give an accurate temp. I was wondering if anyone could confirm or deny this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_3578.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-laser-thermometer-96451.html

HATCH
12-01-2010, 03:43 PM
it gives you a ball park figure.
I can shoot it into a mirror and it read. The laser is more of a pointer as I can cover it up and it still read distances.

c3d4b2
12-01-2010, 03:45 PM
I tried to use a Craftsman model and did not have any success. I placed a piece of metal that floated on the lead and had better results, but do not know how accurate the reading was.

lwknight
12-01-2010, 09:41 PM
I found the IR thermometers to give erroneous and ambiguous reading on melted lead.
A simple $19.00 Tru-temp or whatever submerged thermometer works better.

John Boy
12-02-2010, 12:03 AM
Tex, the IR thermometers only measure surface temperature. You want to know the temperature of the melt down in the pot that is no exposed to open air

30CAL-TEXAN
12-02-2010, 12:33 AM
I have and use this particular model for casting.

While it may not be the most precision method of measuring the temperature of the melt it does work. I usually point it at the exposed edge of the pot closest to the surface of the lead. I do not really need a pin point figure so it works for me.

It is also handy that you can check the temp of your molds while casting.

Before I bought it I shopped around and this was the only one that I could find that had a teperature range high enough for casting that did not cost an arm and a leg.

sqlbullet
12-02-2010, 10:32 AM
I have an infra-red and it is very handy.

Just not for monitoring lead temps in the pot. It always varies significantly from the dial thermometer, and the variance is not consistent.

It is great for measuring mold temp, or bullet temp when heat treating.