PDA

View Full Version : Proper cup of Tea

scrapcan
12-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Well all I was not sure where to put this as it is definitely off topic, but also of a food and beverage nature.

I would like to hear about the ways in which other tea drinkers like their tea. That includes Sweat Tea, Iced tea, etc...

Loose tea, satchel, tea bags, etc...

cheap tea, expensive tea, you name it

Honey, sugar, agave nectar, however you like to make it sweat.

I like the smell of brewing coffee, but tea is the drink of choice.

Join in if you feel so inclined.

winelover
12-01-2010, 03:59 PM
I partake tea every evening, prefer coffee but my acid reflux can't handle it. I buy my teas loose from Adagio Teas (www.adagio.com). They sell many different kinds, black, green, white, oolongs, flavored, herbals as well as chai, rooibos and mate. I prefer the blacks and an occasional South American mate (citrus or mocha nut). They run a frequent cups reward program--where you earn one point for every dollar spent--to be redeemed for future purchases. Their shipping is reasonable, $3.75 or free after $25.00. They describe their teas to a "T" and have a rating system which can be a helpful guide in decision making.

Honey is prefered as a sweetener, followed by the agave nectar. I have found Costco has the best price on agave.

Tea bags are reserved for times when portability is required.

Winelover

felix
12-01-2010, 04:09 PM
http://www.floridatupelohoney.com

... felix

kelbro
12-01-2010, 05:09 PM
A cup of Royal Matcha every day about this time.

Hickory
12-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Earl Gray w/a spot of lemon & honey
with an English muffin.

scrapcan
12-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Alright glad to see I am in good company.

I like the Earl Greyer from Republic of Tea. I like most black tea. Use honey mainly, but have used true maple syrup a bit also. I am beginning to like using true maple syrup as a sweetener.

How are you all steeping the loose tea? I have used a steeping ball for years, but am thinking about the teavanna perfect tea maker, maybe it would make the tea experience easier while at work.

http://www.teavana.com/Tea-Products/Tea-Makers-Infusers/Teavana-Perfect-TeaMaker.axd

LIMPINGJ
12-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Lipton with ice no sweetener. My stomach can not handle hot tea.

kbstenberg
12-01-2010, 06:51 PM
What is black tea? All my teas are regular grocery teas. E.G. or English Teatime. With Honey. What is the other creamer you guys like?
1 cup of coffee is all my stomach can take also.
Kevin

winelover
12-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Alright glad to see I am in good company.

I like the Earl Greyer from Republic of Tea. I like most black tea. Use honey mainly, but have used true maple syrup a bit also. I am beginning to like using true maple syrup as a sweetener.

How are you all steeping the loose tea? I have used a steeping ball for years, but am thinking about the teavanna perfect tea maker, maybe it would make the tea experience easier while at work.

http://www.teavana.com/Tea-Products/Tea-Makers-Infusers/Teavana-Perfect-TeaMaker.axd

This is the one I use, it's very similar to your selection.

http://www.adagio.com/teaware/glass_mug_and_infuser.html?SID=63c1d56d5711028533e 8cb36711a3bf4

Winelover

winelover
12-01-2010, 07:33 PM
manletjt:

Was just surfing the tevana site and their prices are ridiculous! They want $148 for 16 oz. of Golden Monkey and you can get it for $49 at Adiago.

Winelover

Wots
12-01-2010, 10:18 PM
What else is there but loose, green, gunpowder tea?
Straight up. I brew it in a Tea Ball using the same tea twice.
I get this for about $12 per pound.
http://www.coffeeandtea.com/

Rick N Bama
12-01-2010, 10:55 PM
I though tea came in bags from Tetley or Lipton......honestly, I've never had a cup of brewed tea.

Rick

redneckdan
12-01-2010, 11:07 PM
I am a fan of gathering wild peppermint and brewing tea in the winter. Usually dry the leaves and then throw a couple in a cup of hot water to steep. Then fish them out and add honey.

scrapcan
12-02-2010, 12:24 AM
Yep I thought the prices at Teavanna were rather high also. I buy good tea for a lot less.

I use quite a few tea bags of various kinds at work, because it is easy.

I like the gunpowder tea also, but the black tea is at the top.

Redneckdan,

I use lemon balm, spearmint, or peppermint that we have growing in the flower planters. A few leaves in the double strength brew for ice tea is great on a hot day.

I will have to dig out some links for the different types of tea and post here.

waksupi
12-02-2010, 02:44 AM
I usually drink the regular Orange Pekoe and black tea mix in the winter. In the summer, I prefer green sun tea. I do have some Gunpowder tea, but only have it occasionally. I also have a brick of pressed tea, and keep a chunk of it in my hunting pack.
I also gather chamomile, red clover, rose hips, and yarrow for tea. Bergamot grows all over my property, so can harvest that if I want a breakfast tea.

winelover
12-02-2010, 08:55 AM
I though tea came in bags from Tetley or Lipton......honestly, I've never had a cup of brewed tea.

Rick

The tea used in tea-bags is the lowest grade of tea. It is the "dust" left after the "leaves" are picked out. It is so fine that it would go thru the metal screen of a "tea-ball" or infuser. The only way to use the dust is to put in in "bags". Cut one open and see for yourself.

Winelover

scrapcan
12-02-2010, 11:23 AM
What flavor does yarrow give? I was going to look this up in the old edible and medicinal plant book from my college botany days, but forgot to grab it this morning.

I like rose hips and sometimes the petals of woods rose (rosa woodsii) can give a nice flavor.

On a different note,

Can one brew tea like you do coffee in an open pot and then use an ice cube, cold rock, horseshoe, etc, to settle the leaves like you can with coffee grounds? Maybe I should try it. hmm where is that tin of whole leaf, darn it is at home and I am at work!

Thanks to all for adding comments and suggestions, no I have some things to try.

waksupi
12-02-2010, 12:33 PM
What flavor does yarrow give? I was going to look this up in the old edible and medicinal plant book from my college botany days, but forgot to grab it this morning.

Well, it tastes like, uh, ...yarrow. I really don't know what else to compare it to.

scrapcan
12-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Well that is what I wondered. We have a paint gelding that will eat anything once, he will not even stick his nose in the yarrow patch. That is why I ask. He will eat roses to the ground, thorns, and all.

I guess a test is in order.

mtnman31
12-02-2010, 01:49 PM
I prefer black teas but will drink most any except for the real fruity and flowery ones. I drink tea in the AM and rarely take caffeinated teas at night. Mostly I sweeten with a spoon of sugar and/or Splenda. Some teas get honey or creamer. I'm not a tea snob and like both pricey and cheap teas equally. I usually buy it in bags because it is easier to brew at work. I like variety and end up buying whatever looks interesting when I am at the store.
PG Tips is good, but sort of expensive since it is imported.
When I can (seasonal), I make tea from spearmint I have. I have a couple planters that I have mint growing in and use it for tea and mojitos. Probably more for mojitos than tea... :drinks:

The best I have had was a Lipton branded black tea that I got while in Hungary. I tried to find it stateside but it must either be something they export or it is sold in the US under a different name. There was nothing special about it, just was really good to my liking.

waksupi
12-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Well that is what I wondered. We have a paint gelding that will eat anything once, he will not even stick his nose in the yarrow patch. That is why I ask. He will eat roses to the ground, thorns, and all.

I guess a test is in order.

Just harvest the flowers for your tea.
Yarrow is good for lots of stuff, upset stomach, good hair rinse, and is very good to crush the leaves to put on a minor wound. There are lots more uses, one of the most useful of herbs to gather.

pmeisel
12-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Whatever spice tea, chai, or citrus is on sale at Dollar General.......

Dale in Louisiana
12-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Find a sassafras tree. It has three different styles of leaves, left mitten, right mitten and three lobes. (Look it up on Google if you're not sure...)

Dig around the trunk about as far out as the farthest branches. You're looking for small roots, pencil or smaller, although larger will work. when you get a sassafras root, you'll know it. The smell is quite distinctive. Gather up a bunch. They'll keep and they're good even if they dry out. Wash the dirt off.

To make tea, dump a goodly handful of roots into a pot of boiling water and let steep for several minutes. The water will turn pinkish orange and the smell will be wonderful. Serve with sugar or honey and cream if you like.

This was a noted spring tonic when I was a kid, and it will encourage some sweating.

Oh, and while you've located that sassafras tree, visit it when the leaves are fully grown, strip some of them and dry them out of the sun, then crumble the dried leaves into a fine powder. You've just made gumbo file' (pronounced "fee-lay") used as a thickener and spice for Cajun gumbo.

Dale in Louisiana

buck1
12-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Theres one at china mart called constant comment thats real good.

scrapcan
12-06-2010, 12:46 PM
ONe of my coworkers has a good saying about tea. He says it is about as close to buying drugs as one can get and still be legal. Anyting sold by the ounce as dried leaves in a baggie is very close to buying the other stuff.

I wish we had sassafras trees in my area. I like all of those things mentined, including true gumbo. It is not gumbo if File is not in there.

oksmle
12-06-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm glad that Dale mentioned Sassafras because I've been brewing it like that since I was a kid. Moved to Maryland & introduced it to a bunch of Boy Scouts on a camping trip once & they all became converts. A Sassafras tree wasn't safe in our neck of the woods. We always drank it straight.

Gray Fox
12-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Ah, Constant Comment Tea. 35 years ago with the 101st Airborne on field exercises in weather like we have now at Ft. Campbell, KY, and we'd spend a week to 10 days in GP small tents. We'd pull the diesel guts out of the pot bellied stoves, put in the wood grate and use the the single bitted axe from the Jeep OVM kit to cut and split dead oak or hickory. Made for great fires and gave us something to do during the worthless field exercises. We'd keep a pot of water on the stove to make the tea or instant coffee--Taster's Choice, if I recall. The aroma of the tea and that from a hardwood fire made it bearable.

This was back during the Carter fiasco and the Army was so broke that we had to take our own canned food to the field as there were no field rations left. I wonder if history is about to repeat itself?

akmac
12-07-2010, 01:44 AM
Darjeeling when sitting at home and Earl Gray on a cold, wet day out in the woods. I like to bring the pot of water to a boil then let it rest a few minutes before introducing the tea.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
12-09-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm another sassafras drinker. When I was little, we planted potatoes in a field below the house. When we plowed the field to harvest you could smell the sassafras. We used to kick through the furrows until we found the roots. Its strange, we never did find the tree.

Everytime I smell sassafras brewing, it reminds me of those times.

Regards,
Everett

wilddog45
12-09-2010, 09:26 PM
I like Luzianne sun tea in the summer. Sweetened of course!!

pmeisel
12-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Sun tea, unsweetened, with lemon -- a favorite thirst buster.

starmac
12-09-2010, 11:31 PM
For cold tea I like plain old lipton bags and sweeten before it is cooled with plain old sugar.

For hot tea sassafras is good enough for me. (usually drink coffee

You used to be able to go in the store and see lipton or folgers and grab it, you knew what you had. Now you had better look good or you will be buying something to throw in the trash.

Trey45
12-10-2010, 12:36 AM
I drink unsweetened iced tea all day. Red Rose is the only tea I like iced.
I love hot tea's too, but usually go for oolong and darjeeling. I have some India rolled tea too, not quite like the chinese gunpowder green tea but close. On rare occasion I'll have a strong cup of lapsang souchong, but not often enough to call it a regular tea for me. Not a fan of earl grey, mostly because I'm not a fan of bergemot. I have some chinese resteraunt tea my daughter gave me for christmas last year, I've managed to make it last till now, but only have enough left for maybe 2 or 3 more cups and it's gone. I'm glad I don't have expensive tastes in tea, as much as I drink of it I could easily go broke.

scrapcan
12-10-2010, 12:42 AM
It is funny, I probably started this thread sounding like a tea snob. Well quite the opposite. I drink just about any tea. I am just now starting to find ones that I really like. and I am finding that price has nothing to do with it being good or not.

I once drank lots of tetley tea and luzianne. I still grab a box once in awhile.

I drink lots of ice tea in the summer and lots of ice tea and hot tea in the winter.

GSM
12-11-2010, 08:13 PM
On the higher end, $ wise, Zhen-Qu with a little bit of sugar. Very smooth with a honey flavor.

Millenium blend is also nice.

Usually get 1 bag a year from Stash Tea. Most everything from them has been good and the way tea should be - you can see that tea is actually from the leaves of a plant, not some dusty stuff in a filter bag.

mattbowen
12-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Hot water in a mug (green or earl gray) tea bag in hot water and drink..:bigsmyl2:

JDL
12-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Got to have my coffee in the morning but, during cold, wintery days I've enjoyed gunpowder with a half teaspoon sugar for years. Recently I have discovered Earl Grey as a matter of fact, I think it's tea time now!
JDL

Von Gruff
12-18-2010, 05:12 PM
I am a life long tea drinker as have the previous generations in my family been.
I have drunk tea with family going back to a great grandfather who talked about his father who came to New Zealand in 1870 something so a family history of tea drinking that is loose leaf tea (my preference now is from Celon) Four teaspoons in a 6 cup pot and let it stand for long enough to draw properly. There is enough in the pot for a second (larger than standard) cup each for two people. We have a SS teapot and a woolen tea cosy to keep the heat in. With a dash of milk there is not much better for thirst or just plain pleasure and no need for a sweetener. In the bush or camping a half handfull of leaf in a billy after boiling, and stand by the fire to draw. Give the billy a bang on the bottom with a stick to make most of the leaf settle and pour. Enjoy while looking at the campfie with a creek burbling nearby.

Von Gruff.

winelover
12-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Von Gruff:

Ya lost me man! What is a "woolen tea cosy"? Also, what the h*ll is a "billy"?

Winelover

firefly1957
12-18-2010, 11:06 PM
I like just about any tea without Camille in it for some reason it bothers my stomach.
I have a 2 quart tea pot that I put two or three bags in then fill with boiling water let steep than enjoy. With that amount it never gets bitter also us loose leaf tea often, gunpowder is a favorite along with many others.
Sun tea five bags Lipton to a gallon of water maybe add a flavored tea bag like lemon for change.
Coffee likes me less than Camille just a sip and I will burp it for a day.:coffee:

Bodydoc447
12-19-2010, 12:27 PM
A tea cozy is a little insulating "sweater" for the tea pot to help it retain its heat. Dunno about the billy. I ain't from around there.

Doc

scrapcan
12-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Ahh that would be Kiwi slang I think. Always good to have those bloaks explain what they are saying as it sounds much different than what we woudl think it means over here.

Like knocking up a friend is frequently done over there, but here one may just want to go see them at their house!

Von Gruff
12-20-2010, 12:13 AM
Yeah a tea cosy is a knitted fitted cover for the tea pot to keep it hot while the tea draws. It means you can come back for a second cup from the pot and it will be as hot as the first.
A billy is simply a can ( maybe like your coffee can - holds about 2-3 pints)that you hang over the fire to make a brew of tea in. Boil the water in it then dump the tea in. Usually kept seperate for the purpose but if going with minimal weight can be used to cook in as well.

manlyjt, while I have nothing against the aussies, (I married one once) I would rather not be mistaken for one. We hold a lot in common as far as language goes and with a strong common bond through military hardships, BUT we are seperate in many ways and have a fierce rivalry on the sporting field. My posting data says South Otago, New Zealand and I am imensley proud of being a Kiwi.

Von Gruff.

scrapcan
12-20-2010, 01:01 AM
Von Gruff,

Sorry about that. I got you mixed up with another of our down unders. I fixed that error, I have high regard for those of you from both places. Please accept my apology.

And being proud of ones heritage, one should be if at all possible. You and your ancestors have lots to be proud of.

Now lets have a cup and biscuit to drop this mis step of mine by the wayside.

Von Gruff
12-20-2010, 01:31 AM
Von Gruff,

Now lets have a cup and biscuit to drop this mis step of mine by the wayside.

I'll put the kettle on, stoke up the fire and be glad of the company.

Von Gruff.

Limey
12-20-2010, 04:32 PM
....boy's.....IMHO the secret to a great cup of tea is that you must warm the pot first.

Pour some boiling water into the pot, maybe an inch or so and let it stand for at least a minute.....

...then pour that water away, then and only then put your tea of choice into the warmed pot......then the water must be boiling when you add it to the tea in the pot.....not just hot but actually boiling.

Let it stand for another minute....then stir the brew......

If you are using a loose leaf tea.......pour into your cup via a strainer

If you are using a tea bag or tea ball....pour directly into the cup

...add sugar if you must and milk lastly as required.

Adding milk last is the Scottish way of making tea....the English tradition is to put the milk into the cup before the tea but I prefer putting the milk in last as you can better control the quantity to get just the right colour and strength you prefer.

Enjoy your brew

Straight shootin'

Limey

scrapcan
12-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Now we are hearing from those who have many generations of drinking tea behind them!

I have never had tea with milk before, may have to try that. Do you use cream or just milk or both?

I come form a bunch of unwashed coffee drinkers! Just kidding I love the smell of brewing coffee. Just not a coffee drinker. Some days I stop at the coffee pot just to smell the aroma.

Then I make a cup of Tea!

Limey
12-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Hi manleyjt,

....Mrs. limey and me prefer fully skimmed milk in our tea....

...we find that semi skimmed or full fat milk just overpowers the true taste of the tea......plus, with the number of cups we drink a day....upwards of 15 cups a day....each!.....with full fat milk our waistlines would grow quicker than our active lifestyle could keep them under control!.....

.....and cream?...OMG!.......that'd be like drinking a cup of butter to us!......too much fat just clags your mouth and hides that refreshing, clean and tart taste of the tea........but hey!....each to there own and just enjoy it.........

We also love fresh coffee....we always brew a fresh coffee at 11am each day.....now we live in France we were shocked to find out how a lot of French folk have their coffee......weak and second hand!

They will brew up a pot of weak coffee at breakfast time....what ever is not used up they will keep in the pot. If they want another cup or if somebody calls for a visit they get out the now cold pot of coffee and microwave it back to a tepid temperature.....do I need to discribe just how bad this tastes?

....however.....the saving grace is that whenever you have a coffee in a French cafe or bar it's alway's a fresh cup of 'joe' and it tastes goooooood!.......

Straight shootin'

Limey

scrapcan
12-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Limey,

I like the idea of skim milk. That is what we drink and use for cooking anyway. One big thing I had with my family and coffee growing up was the use of whole milk or cream in it. I always thought it was a waste to add it to coffee, just make a good cup of coffee to bgin with.

I will be trying the skim milk in a nice hot cup of tea, soon.

waksupi
12-21-2010, 06:20 PM
For something different, I sometimes use molasses for sweetening in tea. Especially interesting in Earl Grey.

scrapcan
12-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Waksupi,

I have recently taken to using pure maple syrup as a sweetener. I had an interesting allergy crop up with some local honey. I purchased the maple to take it's place until my wife got the gallon of honey used. We bought some not so local honey (produced about 200 miles away) and no problem as that with the local honey.

firefly1957
12-25-2010, 01:47 PM
manleyjt That is strange I just read a article about using local honey to relieve allergies the article said to use a little local honey each day.
I rarely sweeten my tea any more I used to when younger . A tea I really like and have trouble finding at a reasonable price is Licorice it is good in the evening.

firefly1957
12-25-2010, 01:52 PM
manleyjt That is strange I have just read a article on using local honey to help with allergies. They said to use a little local honey each day.
I like LICORICE tea in the evening but am having trouble finding it at a reasonable price.

Von Gruff
12-25-2010, 02:11 PM
A very nice tea my wife and I often have in the evening is Rooibos or Red Bush tea. A South African friend put us on to it. No caffine and has antioxidents and minerals. Very relaxing before bed.

Von Gruff.

firefly1957
12-25-2010, 06:15 PM
I have tried the red teas they bother my stomach like camamile ? have no idea why?
I do have some lose leaf red tea that smells like fish it also tastes bad too.

scrapcan
12-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Firefly1957,

I was very much surprised about he allergic reaction to the local honey. I think there must have been some chemistry (herbicide or pesticide) that the bees brought home. No problem with the other raw honey though.

Von Gruff,

I just got a batch of Citrus Rooibos for Christmas. It is very good tea. Still have not tried the tea with a bit of skim milk, but it is on the list.

My wife got me a 12 oz Nissan Thermos brand cup with a tea basket in it. It will keep water hot for 8 to 12 hours. That is not a stretch. I made tea in it yesterday at 5pm and it was still drinking warm this morning at 6am. very impressed with it to say the least.

koehn,jim
12-27-2010, 05:53 PM
I agree with Limey except I grew up not boiling the water but short of it a few bubbles were ok but not a roling boil and instead of just milk on top like the Scots we prefer a wee dram of whiskey to ward off the morning chill, Its cold in Ireland. And I like gunpowder tea from China in the compressed bricks.

foxtrotter
12-28-2010, 12:21 AM
What's all this milk and sweetener? Just brew it and drink it-don't bury the flavor under the other stuff. By the way Tea ice cream is pretty good also...
Dennis

Limey
12-28-2010, 03:40 PM
...what a coincidence....Mrs. Limey recieved a new tea cosy for Christmas....

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/lambris/P1040611.jpg

...her best friend on the other side of the village hand knitted it for her......it keeps the tea really hot for ages......I'm just enjoying my second cup from that pot right now as I tap out this message!.....

....here's wishing you all a Happy New Year.....

Straight shootin'

Limey

Von Gruff
12-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Limey, I see you have a china pot. We updated on our china pot and have gone to a stainless steel pot with a loose leaf tea basket in it that makes a great cup of tea. The tea basket is of such a size that when the pot is filled the tea basket is covered and the tea brews properly. When the first cups are taken from the pot the level drops so that the tea stops brewing and the second cup is much the same as the first. My wife makes our tea cosy's out of very thick wool and as you say Limey, they keep the pot hot for that second cup.

I will raise a cup to you all for the new year, which I hope sees you all safe healthy and prosperous, and it goes without saying I hope for plenty of shooting oportunities and components.

Von Gruff.

Four Fingers of Death
01-06-2011, 09:21 AM
When I was a lad we pretty much just drank tea and had coffee once or twice a year and it was Bushells Turkish coffee which was powdered and you cooked it in a saucepan on the stove. We also had the occasional Coffee and Chicory syrup (especially when it was cold).

The tea was always leaf tea brewed in a tea pot. One teaspoon each and one for the pot. It is important to let it draw so that the flavour deveolps and it reaches strength.

I used to always drink it white without sugar, but in recent years I just drink it black as I have a heart condition and don't drink caffeine after the early afternoon and the de-caffinated tea bags don't go well with milk.

If you drink it with milk, the important thing is to not put too much milk in. You want it to be at the stage where the tea is still brown colour and it is almost/semi transparent. If you try adding a tiny bit of milk at a time, you will see it getting gradually milkier and,milkier and eventually it will look thick and milky. This spoils the tea tastle and you should aim for just a bit less and the flavour of the tea will not be drowned in milk. I prefer it black nowadays. Doing this will waste a cup of tea, but give you the idea and you will know how to do it later. Sip as you add the milk to find the level you like.

My favs are Twinings, English Breakfast, followed by Irish Breakfast. For a strong flavoursome tea try Orange Pekoe or Broken Orange Pekoe (this is made from the very tips of the top leaves I am told. It is a strong tea. For a no holds barred take no prisioners tea, Russian Caravan tea will strip the varnish off your teeth.

I like others, but Twinings is available worldwide so you should be able to get it.

Coffee is good ( I seem to drink a lot of it in cold weather), but tea is very refreshing.

Earl Grey is popular and seems to get a mention everytime tea is mentioned. It is better black as it has a slightly lemon taste and is horrid with milk.

If you like tea, but don't drink it often, store it in the freezer, that way it will always be fresh.

I love it when my brother in law and two other male friends visit. They are big tea drinkers and I get out my big shiny brown English Sadler brand crockery tea pot and fill it up! Best drank out of tea cups, but don't stop at one!

winelover
01-06-2011, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=Four Fingers of Death;1112644] For a no holds barred take no prisioners tea, Russian Caravan tea will strip the varnish off your teeth.QUOTE]

Russian Caravan is also known as Lapsang Souchong. Has a very smokey flavor.
It is in the "love it or hate it" catagory. I like it once in a while and I add either Buckwheat honey or Molassas to sweeten it.

Winelover

scrapcan
01-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Cool info thanks guys. A whole new world is opening up. I am finding tea to be much like beer in that I like it and have yet to find one that is not drinkable. Maybe not my favorite but it is all drinkable.

Mick,

I will try out the milk dosing technique you describe. I have already decided Earl Grey and milk is not a good combination for me just as you describe!

Four Fingers of Death
01-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Mick,

I will try out the milk dosing technique you describe.

Yeah, good luck with that, I never managed to get my late wife and three sons to understand it, even though I actually demonstrated several time. Perfectly understandable to me, but as clear as mud to them. I am pretty good at teaching and coaching, but I suppose like all fathers found a few black sopts with my children. I think it has to be something they see as important or interesting before they take any notice.

I think I'll go and put the kettle on :D

C.F.Plinker
01-19-2011, 12:00 AM
Now you guys have got me all thirsty. Time to make up a cup of Prince of Wales.

home in oz
01-19-2011, 12:44 AM
My wife has a tea trolley, and has a nice English tea on holidays.

Scones, jam tarts, ginger cake, lemon curd, etc.

Yum! Yum!

waksupi
01-19-2011, 01:31 AM
Another twist yo may enjoy, try a spoon of maple syrup in your tea.

scrapcan
01-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Funny, I too had a hankering for prince of wales tea yesterday. Finished off that batch. Now working on a cup of Earl Gray with a dash of milk.

Yep you blokes have made a convert with the slight dash of milk in the tea. It is really for breakfast and has two of the food groups in it now! Tea is a food group right?

Now if I had some nice scones to go with it! Just have to settle for a caramel rice cake and a cup of tea.

Beerd
01-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Another twist yo may enjoy, try a spoon of maple syrup in your tea.

You mean the stuff from trees, right?

KCSO
01-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Tea with honey was my grandmothers remedy for a cold. I got into tea very young from my godmother, went to her house for tea time. Heck of a not for a bohunk cop to be a tea drinker, but I never got a taste for coffee.

JeffinNZ
01-20-2011, 10:54 PM
I'm a big English breakfast tea man myself. Don't get me wrong. I like a good espresso too (no instant coffee in OUR house) but I'm a big tea man just quietly.

Now green tea is the way to go also. Especially with a hint of jasmine. And let me not forget the Sweet and Spicy Herbal tea from the good folk at Good Earth. My friend in Alaska sends this to me.

home in oz
01-23-2011, 01:42 PM
I will make a pot of tea now.

scottiemom
01-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Constant Comment is wonderful - with sugar. I also like Irish breakfast, Earl Gray and Cinnamon tea for hot teas and nothing like good old southern sweetea - you know, it is all one word!! with lots of lemon.

scrapcan
01-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Southern sweet tea made the correct way cannot be beat. make the syrup first! Yep I am also an ice tea drinker and sweet tea made right is the only way to really enjoy it!

My wife spent some time in Texas going to college and southern sweet tea is definitely par to of the culture.

Rick N Bama
01-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Southern sweet tea made the correct way cannot be beat.

Since becoming a Diabetic I've had to give up my Sweet Tea, just ain't the same made with Splenda:(

Rick

Blackhawk45hunter
02-21-2011, 10:56 PM
I usually drink espresso, but I enjoy an occasional cup of sassafras tea

nanuk
02-23-2011, 07:30 PM
I drink too much coffee

I should drink more tea

I wish I knew what to look for in the wild for teas

I need to talk to a local Elder to take me out and show me

scrapcan
03-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Nanuk,

And when you get done learning, you can pass it on to the rest of us. We have lost so much of our food knowledge, due to eating out of boxes and convenience foods. It is many times just as quick and much more nutritous to eat freshly prepared and cooked foods.

Four Fingers of Death
03-04-2011, 10:59 PM
You probably get nettles in the states, the younger leaves make a reasonable drink when steeped in boiling water, by the time the flavour has steeped it will have cooled enough to drink. A small sandwich bag with half a dozen tea bag stuffed in your pocket is a lot easier and you don't make mistakes and get stung! :)

catboat
03-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Twinings orange box, tea bags. Hot tea. I've used it in tea pots and drip coffee makers.

I don't use sugar in my tea anymore, but times when I want something special, I use whole milk and a teaspoon of sugar. Most of the time (99.9%) it is with 1% milk.