PDA

View Full Version : Poly Choke hunters guide?

firefly1957
12-01-2010, 02:05 AM
I contacted poly choke and found out it was bought by Marble's and he new little of the hunters guide compass. My grandfather hunted in the U.P. of Michigan and put them on all his guns that I now have. They are installed in the comb of the rifle stock and work well I believe they contain radium which quit glowing in the late 70's.
So here is my questions.
A) when were they made?
B) do they hurt or help the firearms value?

A note the recoil of a Remington 740 in 30-06 was a bit much and that one has been lost . Others are on Winchester 1907. Remington model 81 in 300 Savage. early Model 94 in 30W.C.F.

Duckiller
12-01-2010, 02:41 PM
An uncle of mine put them in several guns that my brother and I now have. Very handy but not sure they help the value of a firearm. Guns bought for investment probably shouldn't have or need them. Guns bought to hunt with will find an extra compass very handy. I believe Uncle got his compass' from Herters. Since he lived in the Flint, MI area he also may have gotten them from Williams Gun Sight. Don't have an address or phone no. but they advertise a bunch.

firefly1957
12-01-2010, 06:09 PM
I have been in Williams many times it has changed a lot since I have first gone in. My grandfather had a lot of work done at Williams Many of his guns have Williams receiver sights or scopes and mounts.
Yes they are user guns I have to make everything for the .351 but it is a nice carbine and I have taken two deer with it.

Mk42gunner
12-01-2010, 08:28 PM
I don't know for sure when they were marketed.

I had a post 64 Ted Williams .30-30 that was supposed to have came from Minnesota with a small (1/2" dia.) compass in the center of the right side fo the buttstock. It was installed so that when the rifle was held level the muzzle pointed north.

I can see where it could be handy to have in deep woods, but I wouldn't put one on a gun. In my opiniion, it relegates a gun to utility status and they should be priced accordingly.

Robert

woody1
12-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Poly Choke Gunners Guide is advertised in the April 1950 Popular Science,page 86. Listed in the 1954 Shooter's Bible, page 351, the 1962 Shooter's Bible, page 195. I have one that my dad installed about 1952 but I thought it was called the Campfinder.

Regards, Woody

firefly1957
12-02-2010, 12:10 PM
It may of been called by more than one name I found the paperwork for it so that I know the name . In use I think it was called a campfinder as when you left camp you were instructed to point the gun the way you traveled move the dot to that direction then when ready to return you reversed course to camp.
I have never traveled a single direction when hunting but in a heavy snow storm once I was glad I took out a compass as without it I would walk in circles. (Visibility was in the 50-100 yard range all day, fog is also disorientating )

woody1
12-02-2010, 02:41 PM
They won't bring you back to camp but what they will do is bring you back in a fixed direction. We used them to guarantee we'd hit a road, stream or some such that we could key on to find our way back.