PDA

View Full Version : looking for a hardness tester.

Tom R
12-01-2010, 02:04 AM
I would like a portable unit but I don't know if it is really that necessary. I also don't have much money. I like the price of the lee but I don't know how portable that would be to check lead before I buy it. I am looking at the CabineTree but I don't know how well it works. I really want this for checking pure lead.
Thank you.

onondaga
12-01-2010, 02:38 AM
The Lee Kit comes in a standard die box 4.5 x 6 x 1.25 inches. very portable. You do need a reloading press to use the kit. A hand press would work. The kit installs in a 7/8 x 14 die spot and also requires a standard shell holder slotted ram on the press to be used. Good sunlight or a lamp will be needed to view the dents with the scale microscope provided in the kit.

I use mine frequently and am happy with it. Following directions precisely is important. A good article on how to use the kit:

http://www.realguns.com/archives/118.htm

The tester can be used to test cast bullets, raw chunks, or any ingot that will fit in the limits of your press opening. You only need very small flat area for testing. I test Linotype strips and 1 - 4 pound ingots without difficulty. A small flat spot has to be filed on bullets.

Gary

idahoron
12-01-2010, 07:39 PM
I got my CabineTree to test pure lead. In my testing on Muzzleloader bullets I have found that the CabineTree has allowed me to fine tune my lead to get awsome results. I will tell you that if you get one you will love it. Ron

Cowboy T
12-01-2010, 08:59 PM
The Lee hardness tester is as portable as the single-stage press on which you mount it. What I do is mount their little cheapie $30 Lee Reloader Press on a piece of plywood and C-clamp it to a table. The hardness tester screws into that press like any other die.

If you'd like to see one in action, here's a link to some vids on it. They're under "Testing Alloy Strength/Hardness".

http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/lead.html

Bob J
12-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Another vote for the Cabinetree.... I have found mine to be very consistent.... Does a great job!

Calamity Jake
12-02-2010, 09:46 AM
If you can spend the bucks and get the Cabinetree

1Shirt
12-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Wouldn't trade my Cabin Tree! Works great!
1Shirt!:coffee:

onondaga
12-02-2010, 12:58 PM
I do have the Lee. Now I have reviewed the Cabin Tree and think it is a much easier to operate tool . The Cabin Tree BHN Tester does not work like a ball-indent BHN tester, for instance the Lee BHN Tester. The higher the dial indicator reading on the Cabin Tree Tester the harder the metal for the Cabin Tree Tester; unlike a softer alloy reading a higher number with a ball-indent setup. The dial indicator reads the amount of spring-loaded bolt movement for one turn of the impaling screw. The softer the alloy the more the impaler embeds in the sample so the less the bolt moves which means a lower number on the dial indicator. A conversion chart with the tool converts the micrometer reading to BHN.

The cost difference is significant, but likely worth it for ease of operation and portability.

fredj338
12-02-2010, 08:43 PM
The CT is easy to use, the Lee not so. The CT cost more, the LBT is also a good one. The Saeco works well, but limited to bullets & not ingots.

Muddy Creek Sam
12-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Contact Gussy and get a Cabin Tree. Great guy to deal with.

Sam :D

Tom R
12-02-2010, 11:18 PM
I just found out I am getting a early Christmas gift of a lee tester. I cant complain. Hint for all of you, spend to much time on this form and explain that you are asking opinions to get the best bang for the buck. They take notice. It helps to buy them a purse for no reason as well.

kirill
12-03-2010, 01:55 AM
How do you use the Lee tester with water hardened boolits? Seems like the hardening is only on the surface.

I tried to file a flat on one cast from water dropped wheel weights and go a reading around 12 bhn. I think that's hardness of air cooled WW's.

The only thing I could think of was to cast test flat nose boolits of the same alloy and dent the nose.

Thanks.

Kirill

waksupi
12-03-2010, 03:23 AM
How do you use the Lee tester with water hardened boolits? Seems like the hardening is only on the surface.

I tried to file a flat on one cast from water dropped wheel weights and go a reading around 12 bhn. I think that's hardness of air cooled WW's.

The only thing I could think of was to cast test flat nose boolits of the same alloy and dent the nose.

Thanks.

Kirill

How long did you let the boolits age? Even water dropped, they need some hardening time.

kirill
12-04-2010, 02:08 PM
How long did you let the boolits age? Even water dropped, they need some hardening time.

They were about a month old. The same boolit on the surface was ~22bhn. When I filed a flat it was ~12bhn inside.

Kirill

white eagle
12-04-2010, 11:27 PM
anyone try the LBT tester

Cowboy T
12-05-2010, 12:37 AM
They were about a month old. The same boolit on the surface was ~22bhn. When I filed a flat it was ~12bhn inside.

Kirill

Not a surprise. My understanding is that this is why it's better not to size water-dropped boolits if you can avoid it. Lead will return to its air-cooled hardness when worked.

captaint
12-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Just buy a Cabin Tree now and get it over with. I like buying things once. Not twice. enjoy Mike

beanflip
12-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Just tell Santa that you want "Cabin Tree"!!!!!

mold maker
12-05-2010, 06:00 PM
I bought a SEACO many years ago and haven't used it a doz times because it only measured boolits.
This year I bought a Cabin Tree and use it to measure ingots, scrap, boolits and what ever I need info on.
Long story short,
Don't waste your time and money. Buy a cabin Tree now, and you'll use it the rest of your life.
Anybody want to buy a SEACO, hardly used????????????

Bullshop
12-05-2010, 06:46 PM
I have had an LBT tester for about 30 years and still use it, BUT!!! not nearly as much since I got one of the Cabin Tree testers from Gussy. If you can appreciate stoutly built tools that work well easily get the Cabin Tree.

Tom R
12-05-2010, 07:09 PM
I really wish she bought me the cabin tree but I think the lee was in the price range. You guys are worring me about how well this one will work. I know it will be slower. I figured that more people use the lee so I would guess that would make it easier to trade lead with others so I know what I am getting.
can any one post close up pics of the cabin tree.

Bob J
12-07-2010, 07:58 AM
I really wish she bought me the cabin tree but I think the lee was in the price range. You guys are worring me about how well this one will work. I know it will be slower. I figured that more people use the lee so I would guess that would make it easier to trade lead with others so I know what I am getting.
can any one post close up pics of the cabin tree.

You can see pics of the tester here on the web site.......

http://www.castingstuff.com/cabinetree_loading_products.htm

Big Don
01-25-2011, 12:53 PM
I was looking for guidance on which hardness tester to purchase and came here to the "experts." Thanks to all of you, I called Gussy last night and bought his multi-purpose tester. I was really sold on it by your comments and the fact I could test lead in just about any form I might have. I've put my Christmas money to good use!

stubshaft
01-25-2011, 03:27 PM
That is one purchase you won't regret. Great tester and easily repeatable results.