PDA

View Full Version : Lee microscope use on moulds

Charlie Two Tracks
11-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Have any of you used your Lee microscope to look at your moulds? I tried that tonight and you can see those vent lines great! The mould looked clean to the naked eye and even under my magnifying glass/flourescent light that I use for fly tying. I looked through the microscope and saw all kinds of dirt and specs of lead. It will show if there is a blockage of a vent line. The vent lines look like big valleys under that thing.

Bob Krack
11-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Have any of you used your Lee microscope to look at your moulds? I tried that tonight and you can see those vent lines great! The mould looked clean to the naked eye and even under my magnifying glass/flourescent light that I use for fly tying. I looked through the microscope and saw all kinds of dirt and specs of lead. It will show if there is a blockage of a vent line. The vent lines look like big valleys under that thing.Amazing, Charlie!
Even with these tired old eyes I never thought of using more than a magnifying glass. I don't have the Lee scope, but have access to jewelers loups(?) and gonna have to examine some of my troublesome moulds.

Thanks,

Bob

Papa Jack
12-01-2010, 05:05 AM
Have any of you used your Lee microscope to look at your moulds? I tried that tonight and you can see those vent lines great! The mould looked clean to the naked eye and even under my magnifying glass/flourescent light that I use for fly tying. I looked through the microscope and saw all kinds of dirt and specs of lead. It will show if there is a blockage of a vent line. The vent lines look like big valleys under that thing.

Hey Charlie, Thats a good idea, I'll have to try it....What I want to know is, how do you hold your Lee Microscope when your looking at bullets to measure the indent ???
I'm having a heck of a time, I shake too much, that little indent is all over the place !
I took a dial indicator stand and clipped the pocket clip of the scope over the arm on the stand . That made the scope stationary or almost so, and then I can carefully slide the bullet under it to measure......Just wonderin how you do yours ? "PJ"

Charlie Two Tracks
12-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Click on this
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=97973
there is a post there that you can click a link to a guy who made are real nice one.

XWrench3
12-01-2010, 10:47 AM
I do not have a lee scope, but i have been using a jewlers eye loupe for years. It really helps, especially if your eyes are less than they used to be! I can rember threading a needle for my mom years ago, thinking this is easy. Now, i know why she needed help.

The older i get, the better i was!

truckmsl
12-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Hey Charlie, Thats a good idea, I'll have to try it....What I want to know is, how do you hold your Lee Microscope when your looking at bullets to measure the indent ???
I'm having a heck of a time, I shake too much, that little indent is all over the place !
I took a dial indicator stand and clipped the pocket clip of the scope over the arm on the stand . That made the scope stationary or almost so, and then I can carefully slide the bullet under it to measure......Just wonderin how you do yours ? "PJ"

I place the boolit in a vice with the indent flush with the vice jaws and just set the scope down on the top of the boolit - steady as can be.

Papa Jack
12-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Good ideas, thank's guys !!......"PJ"

MtGun44
12-01-2010, 09:57 PM
10x head mounted magnifier is great. I do trigger jobs and with 10 to 30 power it is
relatively easy. I think the reason that there are so many bad trigger jobs is partly
that fooks have no idea what they are doing, but a big part is that they can't
SEE waht they are doing.

Jeweler's loupes are cheap like $1-3 at gun shows. Really worth it. 3x and
10x are commonly available.