PDA

View Full Version : LEE FCD for 45ACP, can it be used for 45LC?

lefty_red
10-12-2006, 09:01 PM
I was just wondering, I didn't want to go and beg or buy one if I didn't have to.

Jerry

woodman51jfk
10-12-2006, 11:32 PM
:coffee: .....pony up the bucks...or start beggin'.......the FCD are a full length die & ya gotta have one for each

toecutter
10-13-2006, 12:38 AM
Looking at the FLS sizer on my RCBS set, I can't think of any reason why not. Provided your set is carbide, you may have to remove the decapping assembly.

Most carbide sizers use only a carbide ring to set the diameter of the sized shell. Since .45ACP and LC share the same bullet size and the cases are of similar thickness at least at the mouth, I don't see why this wouldn't work.

I imagine you would have to do some creative stuff to get the shell casing belled properly, and have to fiddle with the seating die to get a proper roll/taper crimp. But otherwise, I guess it would work. You will just have to change the shell holder.

Let me know how this works out.

Firebird
10-13-2006, 03:03 AM
You might be able to size the cases, but I doubt if there is enough adjustment in a Lee Factory Crimp Die to allow it to crimp on the much longer 45 Colt case.

lefty_red
10-13-2006, 10:02 AM
I might try it out cause I'm just worried about the crimping. I havn't had a problem with the bottom of the cases, in revolvers at least.

But, after looking REALLY HARD at it, I'm thinking this shouldn't be a problem. I'll try it out in the only 45LC case I have at this time (please look in the SWAPPIN" AND BEGGING SECTION!). Result to follow.....

Jerry

45 2.1
10-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Measure the I.D. of the carbide ring, if its under 0.479" you will probably size the boolit in the case plus the 45 ACP FCD is a taper crimp while the 45 Colt FCD is a roll crimp.

toecutter
10-14-2006, 01:23 AM
So, looks like I was smoking crack again, and confused Factory Crimp Die as Full length sizer. The way the FCD works, would not allow it.

lefty_red
10-14-2006, 10:36 PM
Damn!

toecutter
10-16-2006, 03:28 AM
Lefty,

If you're interested in doing this. Check the comment made by SJohnson in the "three caliber in one lee collet neck die" thread. That should work for you.

Quoted for clarity:

The .308 collet die also works well for 7.62x54r: After setting the case into the shellholder, place a large fender washer (or two for a larger false shoulder) over the case. Fools the die into "thinking" a shorter cartridge is being sized. The washer I use gives about a .010 shoulder.

I suppose a guy could fashion their own custom washer in exactly the desired height.

Ranch Dog
10-16-2006, 08:32 AM
The 45 ACP uses a taper crimp and the 45 LC a roll crimp. The Lee Factory Crimp Die applies the proper crimp for each cartridge and is not interchangable. Lee has an FAQ that address interchangable cartridge dies...

Interchangeable dies

Frequently, dies from caliber may be used to load other calibers. Due to the locations of crimping shoulders, the operation may only work for dies of the shorter caliber to the longer.

You may notice a label depicting the shorter die in your set for the longer version of the cartridge, we do this to reduce costs.

45 Colt - 454 Casull *
44 Special - 44 Magnum
38 Special - 357 Magnum
357 Magnum - 357 Maximum
38 Super - 9 mm Largo
44 Russian - 44 Special
40 Smith & Wesson - 10 mm - 41 Action Express
32 Smith & Wesson - 32 S&W Long - 32 H&R Magnum **

*The 45 Colt expander die will also work for the 454 Casull, by backing the die out approximately two turns to compensate for the difference in case length.

**Our dies allow the use of .308 bullets in the 32 H&R Magnum. The other bullet diameter commonly used is .311 and that is the expander that comes with the set. To use .308 bullets, it is necessary to purchase an additional expander and turn it down to .308. This can be done using a drill press and emery cloth or if you buy the additional expander from the factory, we will do it for $10.00.

toecutter
10-17-2006, 06:50 AM
Yep, by default the dies shouldn't be compatible. But, if you were to add some spacers to the top of the shell holder, it would work. This really doesn't give you any advantage as far as production capacity. But it should work in a pinch.