PDA

View Full Version : L frame to .44 Special?

crabo
11-30-2010, 06:45 PM
Has anyone ever had an L frame converted to 44 special? As much as I like the idea of the new Ruger 44 specials, I just can't fall in love with a single action gun. I like the way they look, but I don't like shooting them.

I know Smith made some with a 3" barrel, but I would like a longer barrel.

376Steyr
11-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Jim Stroh at alphaprecisioninc.com does this conversion. I've been in line since September to get a 686 fitted with a 4 inch "Mountain Gun" re-bored barrel. You'll need a 5-shot .44 cylinder for a 696, as a standard six shot .357 can't be rechambered.

EDK
12-01-2010, 02:26 AM
Buy a 24 or 624 with the barrel length you like and you'll be way ahead of the game! Or a Mountain Gun. The aggravation and price of the custom L frame ain't worth it....especially if you're wanting a longer barrel. I have considered having my 6.5 inch 624 cut to 5 inch, like my 629, but that long slim barrel is elegant.

I had a 696 (and a 3 inch 686 CS-1) for years and rarely shot either one of them...sold them both with a Milt Sparks holster and other goodies and don't miss them at all. They're going fairly high, last I looked. I'd sure hate to have big bucks in a custom gun that I didn't really like.

Try a set of gunfighter style grips on a single action...especially a Bisley.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

PS Jim Stroh has done my pistol work for close to 20 years...the man is an artist and doesn't get near the recognition his work deserves.

Lloyd Smale
12-03-2010, 07:46 AM
I had a 696 that i foolishly let my buddy talk me out of. It was a tack driver and easily handled keith level loads. I previously had a 396. I didnt care for it much. It was real light at under 20 oz but with keith level loads it was brutal to shoot. I really miss that 696. It was light but not to light and was to me about the nicest holster gun for kicking around in the woods that i ever had. My thoughts are that you are going to spend more to have one made then to buy a used 696 even at the inflated prices they go for. I havent shot one of the night guards but im very temped to pick on up.

MtGun44
12-04-2010, 03:04 AM
Night Gard is fine. Have not worked up hot loads in it, tho. Unfortunately the fixed
sights are set up for 200 gr bullets.

Bill