PDA

View Full Version : New Lee mold

BCall
11-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Anyone else see the new Lee 00 buckshot mold listed on their website? Supposed to cast 18 at one time, but it looks like each 3 are connected. Wondering how it will work, and if the shot will separate easily. I like my Sharpshooter molds, but if the Lee is easier, and I don't have to cut sprues, I'd give it a go. Billy

mini14
11-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Seems great in theory. I guess will will see in practice.

Vinne
11-30-2010, 04:44 PM
You shoot a lot of OO buck shells?? Then looks like a good deal to me!! I use Lee molds and they work well. If not then buy a few boxes of factory loads or (if like me and like to reload) small bag of shot and save the money for something else.

camerl2009
11-30-2010, 04:47 PM
nice mold but the price :veryconfu
and thats without handles

Bullshop
11-30-2010, 05:14 PM
What diameter?

thx997303
11-30-2010, 05:30 PM
.330" according to Lee's website.

turbo1889
11-30-2010, 06:45 PM
All I can say is that it is about time !!!! A mold like that has been discussed on this board for a long time. The vertical chain cavities are exactly the way to build such a mold and the Lee six cavity mold blocks are the perfect mold block size for this kind of application for normal buck-shot sizes.

I have a similar mold to cast 68-cal round balls to be used as wad-slugs on order as a custom mold with Doughty. Due to the larger ball size mine is going to be four rows of balls in stacks of two for a total of eight cavities and will use over half a pound of lead from the pot for each mold fill cycle :holysheep

The plan being to make a heck of a lot of 12ga. RB Wad-Slugs quick and easy.

Once he gets to me on his waiting list and I get the mold to test out; provided am satisfied with the mold then 395 and 410 ball sizes are next for 410 bore slugs and multi-ball loads. That is if Lee doesn't get their act together first at which point I might see if they will do me some custom jobs in those ball sizes within a reasonable time frame for their standard custom order fee.

I've also thought about trying to talk the sharp shooter mold guy into cutting chain cavity RB molds in the Lee six cavity mold blocks (you can get blank blocks from Lee for very reasonable with a fairly quick "off the shelf" shipping time frame) but I don't think he is willing to cut anything other then his own blocks or at least that is the impression I have gotten. :cry:

JIMinPHX
11-30-2010, 08:37 PM
I wonder how round the shot will be after you break it apart.

BCall
11-30-2010, 10:36 PM

I'm curious as well Jim. Maybe when they hit the market, turbo will be the guinea pig.:-D

camerl2009
12-01-2010, 12:17 AM

i dnot care how roun it is
hell id use square shot why not ive made a mold for cylinder shot works ok
but it takes a long time ti cast with that mold

Moonie
12-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Keep in mind that factory prices from lee are quite a bit higher than what we see at retailers. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that mold was found (eventually) at retailers for well under $50.

NoZombies
12-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I think the "list price" for most lee 6 cavities is $52 and they can be found for about $36 pretty easily elsewhere.

dogbert41
12-04-2010, 05:46 AM
This is great news and great timing for me as I just started reloading buckshot! I'll be getting one of those lee molds for Christmas!

Hey Turbo! Keep us up on that 68 ball mold you got cooking. I might prefer that to my .690:)

dogbert41
12-04-2010, 06:01 AM

Maybe you don't have to break it apart! It's going to be fun playing with loads from this mold...

JIMinPHX
12-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Maybe you don't have to break it apart!

Kind of like some forms of old school cannon shot...I didn't think of that.

mckutzy
12-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Out to the Canadian folks.. or to the knowledgeable.. where can we buy this mold in canada?

hk33ka1
12-08-2010, 12:55 AM
I am also in Canada, and I buy all my Lee stuff from Greg at Factory Sales in Wisconsin. I don't see the new Lee stuff on his site yet, but a call will likely confirm he has it. He is just down the road from Lee's factory. His prices are usually the lowest or tied for Lee gear. I have found shipping to take about 7 days. I'm guessing the buckshot mold will likely be $40-45 and the handles go for $11.48 there.

smokinghull
12-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Out to the Canadian folks.. or to the knowledgeable.. where can we buy this mold in canada?

Hi, try Higginson powders, they're in Hawksburry on and they carry the whole Lee line.

JIMinPHX
12-12-2010, 02:12 AM
Hawksburry...
There's a town that I don't hear mentioned very often. I haven't set foot in that town since the last time that I visited a job site in VanKleekHill. That was back when Mulroney was still in office.