PDA

View Full Version : Lone Wolf ported barrels and lead?

CiDirkona
11-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Lone Wolf glock barrels and shooting hardcast lead boolits through them? Is there massive shaving or lead build up in the ports at all? Does it even work? I'm thinking of doing an open setup in 40 eventually, and wondering if I can get some porting without adding the extra comp weight and thus avoid the super light recoil spring requirement...

Thoughts? Comments?

Example: http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1033&CAT=236

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/ItemMedia/10000/10000_652.jpg

Mugs
11-30-2010, 03:29 PM
When I lived in Alaska a gunsmith there was doing a similar comp on 1911's. I had him do a mod. 21 Glock. He used 4 round holes with a slot just wider than the holes. All I ever got in the way of fouling from cast was a gray wash around the holes and the slot. It had a very noticeable reduction in felt recoil.
Mugs

CiDirkona
11-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Awesome, thanks!

mooman76
11-30-2010, 11:37 PM
I had a Lonewolf with one port and never had problems or lead that I noticed except the chambers run a bit tight but that's just an adjustment in loading and sizing boolits.

CiDirkona
12-01-2010, 11:39 AM
I've been quite happy with the LW barrels I have in my glocks now, so I'm not too worried about the chambering issues -- I've even noticed that my loads and boolit shapes that work just great in my gun don't work as easily well in friends' M&P9s...

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

truckmsl
12-01-2010, 12:16 PM
If you have older Lone Wolf barrels and you order a new one you might be surprised to find that the feed ramp is now cut into the chamber much more than the older ones.

The one I recently purchased for my Glock 35 actually has less chamber support at the feed ramp than the original Glock barrel.

CiDirkona
12-01-2010, 01:44 PM
That is quite unfortunate. Has anyone spoke with LW about that issue? The main reason I'd go with a LW barrel over OEM is to avoid that issue and support multiple-times reloaded brass...

Ferdinand
12-05-2010, 12:31 AM
I was searching for info about optimal projectile selection for LWD 9mm barrels and it sounds like the respondants here might have this figured out. I like 147 grain projectiles since they require less propellant and my lead cost is negligible.

Can anyone suggest preferred projectile selections that have performed well in LWD 9mm barrels? Thanks in advance.

CiDirkona
01-07-2011, 05:21 PM
I've used both the Lee TC 120 and 2R 125 with great success in my LWD barrels. Great with traditional grease groove, not so much with tumble lube.

I keep going back and forth whether I want to try this project or not. It would unfortunately be a steep investment right off the bat, although I have a sacrificial Glock 17 that might go to feed the cause...

TNFrank
06-28-2012, 11:21 AM
I just got a LWD barrel for my G30 and the chamber mics out same as the factory Glock barrel(I.D. and depth) where the LWD barrels fall short is in the throat they put in their barrels. The rifling almost comes up to the chamber which gives you no Freebore for your bullet to seat in. Instead you get the bullet slamming into the rifling which sticks the round into the chamber and doesn't allow it to chamber all the way.
Easy fix, Dremel, felt discs, rouge and time to open up the rifling just ahead of the chamber. Not sure why LWD doesn't put more Freebore/Throat/Leade in their barrels from the factory, it'd sure solve 99% of the "issues" that folks have with em'.

frank505
06-28-2012, 03:52 PM
shooting an RCBS 180 grain mold, boolet weighs 191 at 1443 with a standard deviation of 3. no leading, but the there are no vertical sissy holes. In a Geelock 20, 4 and whatever length

Lloyd Smale
06-29-2012, 06:30 AM
ive got one for my 20. Its collecting dust. It just wont run reliably. I even had it back to open up slightly and it took it from chambering nothing to running reliably with jacketed bullets. It sill wont run 401 cast bullets. Ive not yet tried them at .400. It just has me so discusted that it probably will continue to collect dust for a while.

frank505
06-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Hey Lloyd;
I fell off the single action wagon, and bought a GL 20. Ugly as anything ya wanna look at, except for hillary and whats her name wide a%#. Reliable as a single action, holds 16 rounds of 191 RCBS cast, at 1443 with a sd of 3. It is becoming my favorite carry gun everywhere I go. 155 XTPs are running at 1450 and make a mess.........of things. Good town load. I dont care much about the gun, easily replaced unlike 1911's and single actions. Accuracy is wonderful, trigger is getting easier to manage.

475/480
06-29-2012, 03:26 PM
I have a G20SF - 2 port , 5.47" barrel from LWD that will not consistantly run cast loads.
Jacketed loads run no problem.

Sean

thegreatdane
06-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Hey Lloyd;
I fell off the single action wagon, and bought a GL 20. Ugly as anything ya wanna look at, except for hillary and whats her name wide a%#. Reliable as a single action, holds 16 rounds of 191 RCBS cast, at 1443 with a sd of 3. It is becoming my favorite carry gun everywhere I go. 155 XTPs are running at 1450 and make a mess.........of things. Good town load. I dont care much about the gun, easily replaced unlike 1911's and single actions. Accuracy is wonderful, trigger is getting easier to manage.

I'm using the same JHP at the same velocities through my KKM barrel'd G20. I highly recommend KKM. They are fantastic.

Lloyd Smale
07-01-2012, 07:03 AM
frank my 20 runs great and even shoots great with cast using the factory barrel. Its the wolf barrel that i was refering too. Ive got 3 glocks now. Got the 20 off of Al on a trade. Hes looking at picking up a 29 right now. Id actually like one of those too. they will never replace my 1911s but arent the duds i allways thought they were.
Hey Lloyd;

CiDirkona
07-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Holy backfromthedeadthread, Batman.

I wasn't a big fan of the LWD barrel in 40sw either -- the ramp actually exposed MORE of the side of the case that the stock barrel. I got a KKM barrel for the same gun and never had any issues with it.

I have run several different 9mm LWD barrels though without issue ... still haven't tried out a ported one though....