PDA

View Full Version : Ruger #1 question

AJ Peacock
11-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Although I've handled a few #1's in gun stores, I have no real experience with them.

I have a couple questions for those of you more experienced with them than I.

Is it reasonable to equip a #1 with a removal scope (like the Quick Release Leupolds) and still have use of the iron sights?

My concern would be that the bases, which would remain in place, would either block the line of sight for the iron sights, or require the removal of the rear sight.

Thanks,
AJ

Shooter
11-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Ruger #1 has scope mount bases built-in, so yes to your question. New England Custom Gun makes a neat little peep sight that fits the scope mount too.

starnbar
11-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Yes they do and it's an excellent sight it's built really sturdy too.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-30-2010, 10:52 PM
That will depend on the caliber you have.

I tried shooting my RUGER #1s - 45/70 with the iron sights, and it was greatly painful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The low head position just didn't work even with loads in the 1600fps range.

Not a single problem with the scope mounted, but as neat as I think the peep sights look, I'll stay with the scope!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

looseprojectile
12-01-2010, 04:35 AM
I put a good old Weaver V9 on mine cause it looks good on the gun.
My #1 has no irons. It's a 375H&H. I wish I had more #1s.
It is hard to get down on iron sights because of the stock height.
They all come new with proprietary steel rings and built in bases.

Life is good

jaguarxk120
12-01-2010, 06:48 PM
The quarter rib on the barrel is machined to take the Ruger rings. All No.1's come that way.

It's a system that works well.

Bullshop
12-01-2010, 09:17 PM
I dont think all Ruger #1's came with the quarter rib. Way back in the stoned age when they first came out the bull barrels came with target blocks for Unertal type scope set on the barrel. If they didn't I have had that idea in my head way too long.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Yes, the bull barrel #1 was an exception to the quarter rib and rings which is standard on the other #1 rifles.

Great system!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot