PDA

View Full Version : What will happen if I shoot .30 loads when the ALOX wasn't dry?

mcooper
11-30-2010, 01:01 AM
So I loaded up some 158 grain boolits from my Lee mold into .38 special cases for my workup loads (only 12 cartridges). Being my first tie trying the ALOX I didn't let it dry overnight, and I loaded my boolits an hour after coating them.

Later I read the bottle and realized I needed to wait overnight.

What will I be risking if I shoot the 12 cartridges? I'm shooting them out of a S&W 640, if it matters.

adrians
11-30-2010, 08:15 AM
smoke!

kelbro
11-30-2010, 12:47 PM
messy barrel??

mcooper
11-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Will I still get enough lubrication on these bullets? I don't mind cleaning the barrel a bit more this time, I won't make this mistake again.

Recluse
11-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Will I still get enough lubrication on these bullets? I don't mind cleaning the barrel a bit more this time, I won't make this mistake again.

You'll be fine. That LLA is sticky stuff that never really dries if you apply it too thick--which is the number one mistake almost everyone new to tumble-lubing makes.

You'll get some excess smoke and a little more mess, be a little harder to clean your gun up but nothing some mineral spirits, followed by some gun oil/Hoppes/G96 won't fix right up.

I got tired of the tackiness and smoke and waiting forever for them to dry which is why I started playing around with blending JPW and mineral spirits in with the LLA. Haven't looked back. No smoke, no leading, fantastic accuracy, clean and shiny bores.

:coffee:

cbunt1
11-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Mix up some Ed's Red, and cleaning the mule-snot out of and off of everything will be quick and easy.

Other than the goo factor, no harm no foul (no pun intended)...

9.3X62AL
11-30-2010, 09:30 PM
I have never pursued the tumble-lube method in any depth, and have only used LLA as patch lube on the few paper-patch boolits I've tried. There's gotta be something to it, though. Too many people whose opinions I respect have superb results with the method.

For the O/P--getting excited and moving a little too fast :) can be easily forgiven. Heck, I've been reloading since 1971--and the pending arrival of my first AR-15 upper has me all enthused, all over again. We're little more than a bunch of kids, in many respects.

Jeffery8mm
12-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Hello there mcooper!! Nice to see another Ms guy here!!! These folks wont steer you wrong!!
Good luck!!
Oh, I am in Newton MS.